FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««23456»»»

FSFlyingSchool World Wide Tour (WWT) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, August 08, 2008 5:09:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, May 16, 2024 3:40:27 AM
Dan:

Good for you - thanks for encouraging our intrepid pilots along on their WWT.

Keep flying with FSFS and you'll be landing those big birds in no time.

If you want to scoot around fast without going up to a Boeing, you could always look at the Lear Jet - it's a lot of fun!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #1765
Posted Friday, August 08, 2008 8:58:43 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 08, 2008 9:49:56 PM
I did it! I completed the first leg. I thought I'd give it a go in a boeing 737-800. My final score was 125.95 which places me 79th in the table. Not bad for a first flight in the 737-800.

Somehow I used all my fuel from the left tank, so plane was banking to the right for the entire flight.

I found the airport well enough, but then I didn't take into account how long it would take to descend from 18,000ft. I had to circle around to get down low enough.

Luckily I turned on the seat belt sign for the landing because I was a bit off-line. I had to bank right steeply to get on-line. I did land on the runway. but it wasn't graceful - Mr Smith gave me 10 for the landing.

I finished after my 90 minute flight with 2% fuel left and some possibly damaged flaps that I have to check before the next leg.
Post #1769
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008 1:43:38 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Dan:

Way to go! Great news for the WWT team - they have another pilot out there with them.

A splendid result for your first attempt - I'd guess you didn't mention this to the fare paying passengers...

About the fuel tank - did you have 'failures' turned on in FSFS?  This can certainly result in a fuel leak...

If you did - remember that you can set the failure level where 99 means you'll only ever have a problem once in a blue moon after hell has frozen over.
Or... "1" means that the plane has been hit by a meteor and is about to fall to pieces. Something like "25" will produce more manageable results, but remember that this can include loss of all engines (very rare) which could mean you cannot make your destination, or indeed if you are over mountains or water could mean that you will crash.

Having said that, in a multi-engine jet, total engine loss is so unlikely, even in FSFS, that you should be fine, but don't discuss this with those fare paying passengers...

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #1771
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008 2:11:58 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
dan (8/8/2008)
I did it! I completed the first leg. I thought I'd give it a go in a boeing 737-800. My final score was 125.95 which places me 79th in the table. Not bad for a first flight in the 737-800.

Somehow I used all my fuel from the left tank, so plane was banking to the right for the entire flight.

I found the airport well enough, but then I didn't take into account how long it would take to descend from 18,000ft. I had to circle around to get down low enough.

Luckily I turned on the seat belt sign for the landing because I was a bit off-line. I had to bank right steeply to get on-line. I did land on the runway. but it wasn't graceful - Mr Smith gave me 10 for the landing.

I finished after my 90 minute flight with 2% fuel left and some possibly damaged flaps that I have to check before the next leg.

DAN:

If I read you correct, then perhaps you will give some more legs a try, and be the third competitor in our little WWT. That would not only be a 50% increase, but it would be a huge satisfaction to me personally, to have more than one cocompetitor, so I welcome you with open arms.

It´s all for fun here so take it easy and go after the principe learning by doing. That said, I think you will be one fast learner, goint to 125 points flight score on a first attempt. That is great. Landing scores will follow. And making goarounds, cool stuff.

Hope to hear more from your daring flights (landing with 2% fuel is quite nail biting in my book )

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1772
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008 4:02:13 PM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:02:33 PM
Holy Crap....nice starting score.  Looks like we have our work cut out for us.

Thanks for joining up Dan!

Joe Mini

Joe Mini
President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"

Mission Statement:

We ARE the youngest fleet of pilots in the world!  Our pilots average LESS than 10 hours of total flight experience.  No company in the world can offer this kind of flying security.  Fly with confidence knowing our pilots are there to make your flight one of the most memorable one ever!  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

“If we get you to your destination in one piece, it’s a miracle!” ™

Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC.

Post #1774
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:44:01 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:43:54 PM
Leg #2 - I sorted out the fuel tanks.

The flight was perfect - lovely straight level flight - I think I did better than the autopilot.

Landing was a bit of a problem. I checked the ILS frequency for KATL on the internet and was told something different to what FSX uses. I've never used the glideslope/localizer before and didn't know what they were. During the flight I did a bit of reading of Mike Rays Flying the 700 series and worked out how it's meant to work. As I was trying to do my first glidescope landing the PFD wasn't showing what I expected. I finally worked out that it was because the ILS was tuned incorrectly (to the new frequency instead of FSX's frequence). Full throttle and around I go, forgetting to put the gear up so a bit of damage there.

I had a bit of trouble working out which runway I was meant to land on. I think I was landing on 27R, but it was on the left hand side. With the ILS I finally managed to work out which runway it was and did a rather heavy landing.

Flight score was 119.25 and that included a VSI not working for 1050 seconds.

Aircraft: BOEING ID: N737X Airline: World Travel Flight:
Flight plan: KMSY TO KATL NAV1: IFSQ
Failure(s):
VSI inop for 1050 secs, still inop

Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time):
Failure: Z22:44:16 VSI

Landing Score:0.00

Landing was successful in the following areas:

* Good alignment with runway on ILS approach.
* Wings were level.
* Good pitch control after touchdown.
* Good pitch at landing.
* With flaps - good job.
* With spoilers armed.
* Throttle(s) idle.

Landing included the following problems:

* Poor glideslope on ILS approach - you can do better.
* Too hard - may have damaged your landing gear.
* Too fast - you had to force the plane to stay down.
* Glideslope lost before you touched down - not your best effort.
* Not near the centre line - you can do better.
* Touch down not aligned with the runway - let's point down the runway.
* Ballooning during landing - needs practice.
* Poor steering after landing - stay on the centre line.

Definite room for improvement...

Flight Score:119.25

Flight commended in the following areas:

* Smooth turns.
* Nice banking.
* Comfortable G forces.
* Smooth pitch control.
* Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.
* Gentle taxi turns.
* Good take off steering.
* Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.
* Smooth braking during taxi.
* Smooth climb during takeoff.
* Well coordinated turns.
* No stalls.
* No flying dangerously close to stall speed.
* Smooth comfortable descent rate.
* Pitch not too high.
* Pitch not too low.
* Flaps down on time.
* Approach speed not too fast.
* Good clearance of obstacles.

Flight included the following problems:

* Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.
* Exceeding gear speed - your landing gear may be damaged: have it checked.
* Late rotation - when Vr is reached - take off.
* Poor attention to taxi speed - dangerous to yourself and others.
* Wings not level near ground - danger of clipping a wing.
* Narrowly missed tail strike - watch your pitch: this could have been bad.
* Excessive speed at low altitude - several complaints have been filed.

Definite room for improvement...
Post #1775
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:53:01 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:43:54 PM
Oh, yes, I'm in for the tour. All my scores are posted under "dan" - since we can't use "www_xxx" apparently. All my scores are for the wwt so that's easy to track - I haven't uploaded any non-wwt scores before.
Post #1777
Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 2:07:52 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
wwt_dan (8/9/2008)
Oh, yes, I'm in for the tour. All my scores are posted under "dan" - since we can't use "www_xxx" apparently. All my scores are for the wwt so that's easy to track - I haven't uploaded any non-wwt scores before.

Great Dan! A pleasure to have you onboard.

I myself have experienced some major difficulties this past week. I have flown leg 3, twice, and haven´t gotten it in the logbook, or gotten a flight score yes. First attempt went okay, but when touching down and stopping on the runway, nothing happened. MissAviatrix was obviously schoked, and said absolutly nothing. She had followed my flight, and the descent, but now she fell silent. I then pressed ctrl-period, to turn on parking brakes, and MsA promptly said, OK we are starting a new flight! When I alt-tabbed out, there was nothing in FSFS. No hint of the flight, no logbook - nothing.

So yesterday I did it again, this time I used FS9 instead of FSX, but that is minor. I filed a flightplan in FS, in FSFS and in my eazyGPS, and flew. after ½ hour I did great, and went to see what MsA. said. the text said that there were no waypoints. I alt-tabbed out to check, and there was no flightplan in FSFS. I filed it - again - and flew on, (didn´t restart the flight) I landed after descending in a major thunderstorm, raindrops as big as teacups, thunder, lightning, and zero-viz until 2500 feet. It was hell getting it down in one piece, and I got a welldeserved Zero landing score, but NO flightscore. even though MsA was with me all the way, commented on my takeoff and all, but no sign of a flightscore, and it didn´t say anything about the flight not including a takeoff. But the entire flight did not show in my logbook. Not a trace of it.

So two attempts on a flight which our rules say we can only have one attempt in. (this is a special situation though - I think) and no logbook entries, and no scores at all. I only blame myself - but this time I´m not quite sure where I did wrong.

So I haven´t gotten a single flight to show this week. But as Arnold Schwartzenegger says: "I´ll be back"

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1798
Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 5:07:56 AM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:02:33 PM
oleandreasen (8/11/2008)
wwt_dan (8/9/2008)

Great Dan! A pleasure to have you onboard.

I myself have experienced some major difficulties this past week. I have flown leg 3, twice, and haven´t gotten it in the logbook, or gotten a flight score yes. First attempt went okay, but when touching down and stopping on the runway, nothing happened. MissAviatrix was obviously schoked, and said absolutly nothing. She had followed my flight, and the descent, but now she fell silent. I then pressed ctrl-period, to turn on parking brakes, and MsA promptly said, OK we are starting a new flight! When I alt-tabbed out, there was nothing in FSFS. No hint of the flight, no logbook - nothing.

So yesterday I did it again, this time I used FS9 instead of FSX, but that is minor. I filed a flightplan in FS, in FSFS and in my eazyGPS, and flew. after ½ hour I did great, and went to see what MsA. said. the text said that there were no waypoints. I alt-tabbed out to check, and there was no flightplan in FSFS. I filed it - again - and flew on, (didn´t restart the flight) I landed after descending in a major thunderstorm, raindrops as big as teacups, thunder, lightning, and zero-viz until 2500 feet. It was hell getting it down in one piece, and I got a welldeserved Zero landing score, but NO flightscore. even though MsA was with me all the way, commented on my takeoff and all, but no sign of a flightscore, and it didn´t say anything about the flight not including a takeoff. But the entire flight did not show in my logbook. Not a trace of it.

I've had similar situations myself which I'm not sure either, although I can't say I've made it all the way to the end without them saying anything, most of my "problems" have occured right off the bat.  I'll do my preflight stuff, check the flaps, rudder, elevator, doors, etc, and I get the OK from Mr. Smith, I start my taxiing out to runway X, then when I go to advance it to takeoff, there's nothing.  So I'll restart the flight again, go through all the rig-a-ma-ro again, and then I'll get the "ok, we're about to take off....", so then I know I'm good, but I've never done a whole flight and not get nothing....interesting....

So two attempts on a flight which our rules say we can only have one attempt in. (this is a special situation though - I think) and no logbook entries, and no scores at all. I only blame myself - but this time I´m not quite sure where I did wrong.

So I haven´t gotten a single flight to show this week. But as Arnold Schwartzenegger says: "I´ll be back"

Speaking of having trouble this weekend....I tried my luck at aircraft repaints, and brought my whole system, FSX, etc to a screaming halt.  I just about panicked, but I've had so many problems starting FSX with Vista, I've got a list a mile long of fixes to get me back up and running.  Needless to say, my FSX config file got corrupted yet once again, had to make another user logon, re-load FSUIPC, and try to remember all of my "tweaks" and settings I had so perfectly set up.  Was not pleased all weekend at all, and well, quite grumpy flying...of which we had a serious incident coming in a future report.  And the fine troubleshooting folks at Microsoft...well this time left a lot to be desired.  It would be nice if it sounded like they remotely know anything about there product, but yes, I was the dummy for messing my own system up, yet it's like they are reading of a pre-programmed chart of things, when they are not even understanding the problem.  Sheez.  ok enough bitching, and get back to flying.

Joe Mini
President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"

Mission Statement:

We ARE the youngest fleet of pilots in the world!  Our pilots average LESS than 10 hours of total flight experience.  No company in the world can offer this kind of flying security.  Fly with confidence knowing our pilots are there to make your flight one of the most memorable one ever!  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

“If we get you to your destination in one piece, it’s a miracle!” ™

Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC.

Post #1803
Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 5:37:08 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Ole:

The lack of a complete flight sounds like it might be related to how the flight is triggered to end. Is your FSFS system set to end the flight when the brakes are set (please check it)?

If you think you've found the problem and solved it, do a very short flight to check it. Just put a small plane on a long runway, start FSFS, take off and fly for at least 30 seconds and then land on the same runway and make sure you get your log book entry.

Also - forgetting to load a flight plan into FSFS is not a problem until you land at a nonILS airport or if you want the points for passing waypoints correctly and in the right order.

If you forget to load it, just load it as soon as you remember to do so in your flight. You will not get full points for passing waypoints if you have already missed some but you will get the right NonILS data in place which is essential for non ILS landings AND you will get some points for passing the waypoints which remain.

Post #1809
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««23456»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:11am