FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««12345»»»

FSFlyingSchool World Wide Tour (WWT) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 10:49:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:02:33 PM
SL and Ole,

SquadronLeader (8/2/2008)
Joe:

Oh, it's just like before gettting FSFS up and running, I will not let it defeat me. 

Keep your chin up, dear chap - we'll get there.

Well, I'm already out of the running!  #$!#$!$#!@$!  I didn't understand what a GPS landing meant to do?  I had to land on a NON-ILS runway with in clouds at 700 feet,  which brought me in way below the glideslope, and Mr. Smith was freaking constantly saying your below the glideslope.  But what really baffles me is that he said I landed way to fast, which I thought from my limited knowledge of heavy jets, and in particular the 737, I thought you come in around 140-150, yet I landed around 137 and still got gigged for landing too fast?  I'm baffled.  Any ideas of what you should be coming in at for a B737?  I was hovering in 2000 feet of clouds, then ATC told me to go to 700, and immediately I damaged my flaps so I landed at 10 degrees flaps, which I managed to set it down all considering.  What a bad morning to start a day of flying....Down and Out Pilot.

Landings in FSFS use ILS or visual approaches - I am not sure what your GPS question relates to.

Stay away from visual landings in big jets - that is my simple advice.

Well, here's the deal...I was using FSX's ATC.  When I was 70 miles out, it came across as cleared to land Runway 35 using GPS.  What the ____?  Because I did do my homework ahead of time, I did have the non-ILS runway 35 setup, so I went along fat, dumb, and happy and tried to land the heavy on it, versus going to runway 17 which had the ILS.  I was just trying to keep it real, but maybe I will do the landings the wrong way in the wind, and just take my abuse from Mr. Smith

I have a source which says

Vref for 40 tonnes for flaps 30 is 119kts.
Vref for 40 tonnes for flaps 40 is 116kts.

So 137 KIAS is rather faster than needed.

Wow, I was using the FSX flying school help straight from Rod Machado's lessons for my "numbers" and obviously I was still way to fast coming in.  "Re-reading" my stuff I printed off, it does say a target rate of 150 knots, but it also references figuring out your speeds for your incoming weight, so probably again it was "my bad".   I guess I'm going to have to "ditch" some planes before I get this right.    I'm going to have to figure out how much I weigh coming in.  Ahh...i've just found something here that says ALT-A-F to get your present weight and fuel.  I shall give this a try on my next flight. 

FSFS does not (yet) track how the aircraft's changing weight affects this equation.

Here's a tip, make sure you fly using realistic fuel levels. These big birds are a lot easier to bring in with realistic fuel loads compared to a default "almost full" experience that most simmers get because FS loves to "fill 'er up" when the flight starts. Take the fuel you will need, plus reserves, but do not just set off with loads of extra fuel. I leave it to you to find the data you need on the web, but if you can at least start with less than full and you'll soon get the idea.

I have been taking out a lot of fuel before the flight, so maybe I'll adjust some more as well. 

You have to watch your flap speeds carefully and this is an area in which it is handy to have an add-on plane which shows a realistic display of data on the PFD. It will show you if you are getting close to stalling or damaging your flaps. Without such luxuries, just make sure you have your flap speeds handy (even on a piece of paper) so you can adjust your speed as required and will either slow down or raise some flaps if you are about to go too fast for the current flaps setting.

I have made "cheat sheets" for all the planes I am flying so I do have the flap settings written down, etc.  However, I was on the threshold of the 15 degree flaps (210) around 195 knots at the time, and was at 2000 AGL in deep clouds with autopilot on.  ATC came along and said descend to 700 feet for final, and I adjusted the altitude to 700 which automatically sends the plane into a 1800 fpm drop, and before I had a chance to change it to a less value and fighting the low visibility, bammm!  I exceeded the 210 without watching it and damaged my flaps.  Doh!    So, I'm clearly going to have to stay on top of things there! 

I think I've asked this before, but I'll just state this and see what you all think.  If, and most times, I will be using ATC, should I wait until I'm on the glidepath before telling Mr. Smith that I'm landing as long as I'm above the 500' AGL which seems to be the all critical numbers?

Now this all being said, I'm fresh out of Boeing flight school with the B737.  Barely wet behind the ears, and even though I've landed the 737 of which I thought was pretty good, obviously I stink according to Mr. Smith.  I will not let this little pencil pushing little turd push me around much longer.  I will make better landings soon, or my company may go bankrupt with lawsuits....

So, SL, would you are wanting to here what Mr. Smith is saying on our approaches and landings?

WWT-Joe

Joe Mini
President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"

Mission Statement:

We ARE the youngest fleet of pilots in the world!  Our pilots average LESS than 10 hours of total flight experience.  No company in the world can offer this kind of flying security.  Fly with confidence knowing our pilots are there to make your flight one of the most memorable one ever!  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

“If we get you to your destination in one piece, it’s a miracle!” ™

Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC.

Post #1710
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 1:15:45 PM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Ole,

WWT-Joe_Mini (8/2/2008)
Ole and SL,

Not sure if you noticed Ole, but the scores being posted are going back to the old "JoeMini" and "oleandreason" instead of our new "WWT-xxx". 

Joe. I seem to write too much, because you haven´t read all my blablabla. I had the same problem, and wrote why. Here it is.
It is because you have activated autologin in your browser, under the JoeMini name, so when you submit scores, it logs you in automatically, as JoeMini. You have to log out of the forum, and log in as WWT-blabla. and THEN submit scores. or activate autologin as WWT-blabla. and keep it there for the duration of the WWT. My first score is also as oleandreasen. But it´s correct in your logbook, yes?

I apologize for missing what you wrote earlier.  I was so caught up in your pictures, I missed the part about fixing the WWT-xxx.  I've tried it now 3 times, now I'm wondering if my pc at work is the culprit.  Yes, I do have it correct in logbook, so I'll get it right eventually! 

Joe

PS...any ideas on how to make my signature banner larger?  Ole, you are a wiz at these picture stuff.  Keep up the good work!  I will have to try to keep up with the witty part of the flying, that's for sure!

You can make it as two pictures. One of the plane, and one of the text, then you can get around the 600*600 pixels limit. And thanks for liking my picture-thing. I get high on it. The Witty part, I´m sure you can match completly!

Good Deal, I try it.  I'm pretty witty myself, or so does my co-workers say as well. 

I'm starting my morning in Tampa, FL making my way to New Orleans for some Cajun cooking.

I´m a little wasted. Fell into this small Jazzclub, where the beer was as good as the Jazz. Even took a dance with Ms.Aviatrix! Boy the woman can move!

Dang Ole, my favorite music....Smooth Jazz! 

See you later...[/quote]

Joe Mini

Mission Statement:

We ARE the youngest fleet of pilots in the world!  Our pilots average LESS than 10 hours of total flight experience.  No company in the world can offer this kind of flying security.  Fly with confidence knowing our pilots are there to make your flight one of the most memorable one ever!  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Post #1711
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 2:44:05 PM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Sunday, August 09, 2009 3:42:51 AM
Squadron Leader put me to work. To find out how it is between KIAS, KTAS and GS. Here is what I found!

KIAS (knots indicated air speed) KTAS (knots true air speed) and GS (ground speed)

@ 10.000 ft. KIAS*1.16=KTAS plus/minus wind equals GS

KIAS 100 KTAS 116
KIAS 150 KTAS 174
KIAS 200 KTAS 232
KIAS 250 KTAS 282
KIAS 300 KTAS 348
KIAS 350 KTAS 398

@ 20.000 ft. KIAS*1.37=KTAS plus/minus wind equals GS

KIAS 100 KTAS 137
KIAS 150 KTAS 205
KIAS 200 KTAS 274
KIAS 250 KTAS 342
KIAS 300 KTAS 411
KIAS 350 KTAS 479

@ 30.000 ft. KIAS*1.64=KTAS plus/minus wind equals GS

KIAS 100 KTAS 164
KIAS 150 KTAS 246
KIAS 200 KTAS 328
KIAS 250 KTAS 410
KIAS 300 KTAS 492
KIAS 350 KTAS 574

@ 40.000 ft.KIAS*2.00=KTAS plus/minus wind equals GS

KIAS 100 KTAS 200
KIAS 150 KTAS 300
KIAS 200 KTAS 400
KIAS 250 KTAS 500
KIAS 300 KTAS 600
KIAS 350 KTAS 700

So If I fly at 20.000 ft. and my speed indicator in the plane shows 300 KIAS, it equals 411 KTAS, and with a tailwind of 18 nm/h (nautical mile per hour) my GS will be 429 nm/h. Quite a difference!

Cool.

Chief Pilot/Chairman of the board/Sole owner of  

Zero-viZ - Perfect mix of Metalfatique and free coffee!

Post #1712
Posted Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:58:45 PM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

LEG 2 – New Orleans to Atlanta!

SL once told me: It´s the little things. And you know what? He is right. It´s the little things, that ruin a perfectly good flight, and a potential perfectly good landing.

So I was to fly from New Orleans to Atlanta. I refuelled, and taxied to the runway, guided by ATC and progressive taxi. (I cannot to the death of me find out how to taxi using taxiway alpha, lima, tango and bla. bla. so I use progressive taxi). I taxied with a heading of 280 degrees and had a 24 knots wind at 80 degrees. Ms.A. coulden´t decide if we had a tailwind and should taxi with the elevator down, or if we had a crosswind and should taxi with the right aileron up, so she kept telling me both, and I tried to comply while still taxiing the right way, and not too fast.

Finally at the runway. I turned and made another mistake. I told Ms.A. that we were about to take off, BEFORE I was aligned with the centreline. Then I pressed my brake just a little to swing the plane around for perfect alignment with the centreline. Ms.A. hissed: “Don´t brake during takeoff unless it´s an emergency”. There went another chunk of my points.

I floored it and up we went. I was so eager to NOT have Ms.A. tell me to rotate, that I rotated a little to early, Went up, and touched down again, ever so slightly. Guess what Ms.A. said! Right said Fred. “Lets rotate”. I could have tossed her out the window at that point, had it been open. Wish it had been a LearJet 45 convertible, with an ejector seat, then puff! but no no.  And once again, it was my own fault! So I knew that it was uphill from here, and I had barely started.

But it´s a good plane. We went up to 18k feet, and started the long straight flight towards Atlanta. I set up the ILS to runway 8R, set the OBS to 92 (92 degrees for a runway 8! That puzzled me, but it seems that Atlanta has 4 runways all pointing east-west, so they have runway 9R and 9L, and then the other two had to be called something else, and it became 8R and 8L). I learned something new again. Great. I trimmed my plane for straight and level flight, but that´s not easy when the wind keeps tossing you around, and besides the LearJet is not as easy to trim as the Cessna 172, but it´s faster, much faster.

I set myself a waypoint directly to the west of my runway, so I had something to align to, when getting there. I should have made the waypoint much further to the west, because when I had made the turn and faced east, I had drifted to the north, and had not much time to align myself with the runway, while setting my spoiler, tell Ms.A. that I intended to land, lower gear, set flaps (after having checked that my speed was ok for gear and flaps) and at the same time descent, while the plane lost speed due to the spoilers, and then trying to keep the plane up as it descended a little too fast. I had to throttle up and pitch up, and lost eye contact with the ground for a second. I flapped up to 40 degrees, but unfortunately I had throttled up and was now at 152 knots. Too fast for that flapsetting – retract them, said Ms.A. Two knots too fast. *sigh*

Well, down we came. But I felt that the landing was too hard, and I had serious problems taxiing straight down the runway, I always struggle at that. Ms.A. had had it. “Oh-no”, she said “you landed to hard – no points for that landing” and then she babbled on about all the things I didn´t do right. The good thing is that I still have 120 landing to improve on.

Taxiing in cross-tail-cross-tail-cross-tail wind. Make up your mind  Ready to take off. Don´t brake during takeoff....

Floor the throttle.                                                                           Hi-ho and away we go!

Climbing to 18.000 feet.                                                                 A nice day to cruise.

As usual, Clouds building when I close in on the airport                   What happend to the Earth?

Ah, there is the runway. now... gear, flaps, descend, throttle....        Down and out, and kicked in the groin by the instructor! *sigh*

Stats from Ms.A. Keywords: It´s the little things!

Landing Score:0,00 (Ugly)

Landing was successful in the following areas:

• Good landing speed - not too fast.
  • Wings were level.
  • Glideslope held until flare.
  • Good pitch control after touchdown.
  • Good pitch at landing.
  • With flaps - good job.
  • With spoilers armed.
  • Good controlled final descent to touchdown.

Landing included the following problems:

• Poor glideslope on ILS approach - you can do better.
  • Poor alignment with runway on ILS approach - line up and stay there.
  • Too hard - may have damaged your landing gear.
  • Nowhere near the centre line - get lined up and keep it that way.
  • Touch down not aligned with the runway - let's point down the runway.
  • Throttle(s) forward - should be idle.
  • Poor steering after landing - stay on the centre line.

Definite room for improvement...

Flight Score:90,24

Flight commended in the following areas:

• Smooth turns.
  • Nice banking.
  • Gear deployment at safe speed.
  • Smooth pitch control.
  • Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.
  • Gentle taxi turns.
  • Good take off steering.
  • Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.
  • Smooth braking during taxi.
  • Smooth climb during takeoff.
  • Wings level near ground.
  • Well coordinated turns.
  • No stalls.
  • No flying dangerously close to stall speed.
  • Flaps down on time.
  • Approach speed not too fast.
  • Low altitude speeds not too fast.
  • Good clearance of obstacles.

Flight included the following problems:

• Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.
  • Sickening G forces - your passengers feel rather unwell.
  • Braking during takeoff - watch those feet.
  • Late rotation - when Vr is reached - take off.
  • Poor elevator control during taxi in wind - danger of flipping.
  • Poor aileron control during taxi in wind - danger of flipping.
  • Poor attention to taxi speed - dangerous to yourself and others.
  • Rapid descent - dangerous and uncomfortable.
  • Nose held too high - spilt drinks and worried expressions.
  • Nose held too low - we're not in combat.

Definite room for improvement...

Post #1719
Posted Sunday, August 03, 2008 11:14:12 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM

Attention all readers of this: Just a brief note!

I would like to know if anybody is reading this stuff! It seems an awful waste of time and space if it is only done for the pleasure of Joe, SL (He HAS to see it all, :hehe )and myself.

So please! if you read this, please make a reply, nothing special, just something like "I was here"

Thank you.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1729
Posted Monday, August 04, 2008 4:37:02 AM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

Hey Ole,

Well you know I'm reading all of these.  But you are right, it might be a huge waste of time with big write-ups.  I wasn't planning as much writeups, but some funny happenings, and some misfortunes with Mr. Smith and Company.  Great stuff with your writeups.  I'm having the same crap happen to me.  One little thing, I take my mind of what I'm doing, and there's a crappy score.  Most of the time, it's when I'm trying to capture a good picture.

Not sure if you've seen this sight, but there's a pretty good site for that might help you with how they come up with all the taxiing stuff.  There's probably more than one site for this, but if you try the following:  www.airnav.com

Then click on airports tab, then put in your airport (ie. KATL).
Then over on the right side down a bit, if the airport has a printable airport diagram, you can print it off and try to follow the ATC and the map.  Pretty good practice.  It's got a whole lot more good stuff than just this, but give it a try for the US routes.
I'm not sure but I think this is only good for the US airports....I'm trying to find something similar to this for Europe, etc....

And by the way, ATL now has 5 parallel runways although I'm not sure if FSX has it...although I wasn't paying much attention because I was coming in on 26R yesterday.

Joe

Joe Mini

Mission Statement:

Post #1730
Posted Monday, August 04, 2008 7:48:37 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, May 16, 2024 3:40:27 AM
Hey Pilots!

Can you do something for me?

If you have technical questions about the way FSFS works, can you post them in a separate post which asks perhaps 1 or 2 questions and concentrates on just those questions. This makes is a lot easier for folks to navigate around the forum rather than trying to find answers deep within another subject.

It also draws me directly toward answering your questions promptly, rather than reading your accounts of heroic airmanship, which although a great pleasure is not something I do based on a deadline.

We always try to answer technical questions within 24 hours, at least during business.

So if you can, break off the questions - it all helps build up the 'knowledge base' which in turn helps newcomers and seasoned campaigners alike.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #1732
Posted Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:21:36 PM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Dear Mr. Squadron Leader!

I apologize deeply for putting you in a situation, where you have to spend unnecessary time to find the important parts, where an answer from you could be beneficial to others.

You are right - as always! If I need to put a question to you, I will make an appropriate thread to do so!

I see that you found - and answered our mistake about if we could upload scores under more that one name, and sadly, we cannot

I asked around, a few posts above this one, for viewers of our WWT-thread, and now three days later, I haven´t had one single answer, so I have decided to cut back on the flight-stories and pasting of screenshots. It will be done sundays, for the weeks flights, and with significantly fewer Screens. 

This way I can concentrate more on the actual flying, and save time and space as well!

Post #1741
Posted Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:34:58 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, May 16, 2024 3:40:27 AM
WWT-Ole_Andreasen (8/6/2008)
Dear Mr. Squadron Leader!

I apologize deeply for putting you in a situation, where you have to spend unnecessary time to find the important parts, where an answer from you could be beneficial to others.

The depth of your apology is most impressive.

You are right - as always! If I need to put a question to you, I will make an appropriate thread to do so!

Excellent - this makes it easier for folks visiting the forum to see topics with information they can use, without having to always resort to the search function.

I see that you found - and answered our mistake about if we could upload scores under more that one name, and sadly, we cannot

There is a one-to-one relationship between the pilot's registration and the high scores table. We made it tight so that cheating is very hard and easy to trace.

I asked around, a few posts above this one, for viewers of our WWT-thread, and now three days later, I haven´t had one single answer, so I have decided to cut back on the flight-stories and pasting of screenshots. It will be done sundays, for the weeks flights, and with significantly fewer Screens. 

You guys know that SL is up there with you - cheering you on and reading your stories.

This way I can concentrate more on the actual flying, and save time and space as well!

I look forward to hearing more of your exploits and seeing the pix too. All jolly good stuff!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #1747
Posted Friday, August 08, 2008 4:38:37 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 08, 2008 9:49:56 PM
I enjoy reading about your flights. I would come on the world trip myself but I'm not quite ready to fly a heavy yet and some of the legs would take quite a while in a little cessna. Until I can fly (and land) one of the biggies the best I can do is read about your trips. It gives me a bit of encouragement to do a bit of flying each day.
Post #1764
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««12345»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:48am