FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««12345»»»

FSFlyingSchool World Wide Tour (WWT) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 2:58:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Ole:

Hey - great to see you guys are underway on this epic journey!

Looking forward to hearing more of your exploits - are you planning to take MsAviatrix with you for the whole trip or does she get a vacation at some point?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #1700
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 3:05:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Hey there SL.

I´m afraid that you will have to do without her, for 8 months! I have grabbed hold of her, and intend to keep it that way. Maybe a weekend here and there she can go home. That okay?

It´s good to be underway.

See you.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1701
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:19:56 AM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:02:33 PM
Ole and SL,

Not sure if you noticed Ole, but the scores being posted are going back to the old "JoeMini" and "oleandreason" instead of our new "WWT-xxx". 

Joe

PS...any ideas on how to make my signature banner larger?  Ole, you are a wiz at these picture stuff.  Keep up the good work!  I will have to try to keep up with the witty part of the flying, that's for sure!

I'm starting my morning in Tampa, FL making my way to New Orleans for some Cajun cooking.

Joe Mini
President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"

Mission Statement:

We ARE the youngest fleet of pilots in the world!  Our pilots average LESS than 10 hours of total flight experience.  No company in the world can offer this kind of flying security.  Fly with confidence knowing our pilots are there to make your flight one of the most memorable one ever!  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

“If we get you to your destination in one piece, it’s a miracle!” ™

Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC.

Post #1702
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:37:45 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Well - ya better watch her - she can be a handful.

Great presentation of your flights - very nicely done!

Can you give us all some details about your flights and landings analysis from the instructor - perhaps the score and the main areas of trouble - or possibly paste in a section from the log book - that way we'll know what is actually happening out there. It all adds to the interest.

Are you flying with failures on? If so - set to what?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #1703
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:40:03 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

I will SL, I will.
Regarding Ms.A - see below.
Regarding the logbook. I kind of planned to paste logbook every sunday, but of course I can post all my difficulties right here, all the time. Thank you very much! (And I have updated my post on leg 1, with stats and flying score)

Thank you for the praise.  Just keep it coming...

WWT-Joe_Mini (8/2/2008)
Ole and SL,

Not sure if you noticed Ole, but the scores being posted are going back to the old "JoeMini" and "oleandreason" instead of our new "WWT-xxx". 

Joe. I seem to write too much, because you haven´t read all my blablabla. I had the same problem, and wrote why. Here it is.
It is because you have activated autologin in your browser, under the JoeMini name, so when you submit scores, it logs you in automatically, as JoeMini. You have to log out of the forum, and log in as WWT-blabla. and THEN submit scores. or activate autologin as WWT-blabla. and keep it there for the duration of the WWT. My first score is also as oleandreasen. But it´s correct in your logbook, yes?

Joe

PS...any ideas on how to make my signature banner larger?  Ole, you are a wiz at these picture stuff.  Keep up the good work!  I will have to try to keep up with the witty part of the flying, that's for sure!

You can make it as two pictures. One of the plane, and one of the text, then you can get around the 600*600 pixels limit. And thanks for liking my picture-thing. I get high on it. The Witty part, I´m sure you can match completly!

I'm starting my morning in Tampa, FL making my way to New Orleans for some Cajun cooking.

I´m a little wasted. Fell into this small Jazzclub, where the beer was as good as the Jazz. Even took a dance with Ms.Aviatrix! Boy the woman can move!

See you later...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1704
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:04:36 AM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:02:33 PM
Well, I'm already out of the running!  #$!#$!$#!@$!  I didn't understand what a GPS landing meant to do?  I had to land on a NON-ILS runway with in clouds at 700 feet,  which brought me in way below the glideslope, and Mr. Smith was freaking constantly saying your below the glideslope.  But what really baffles me is that he said I landed way to fast, which I thought from my limited knowledge of heavy jets, and in particular the 737, I thought you come in around 140-150, yet I landed around 137 and still got gigged for landing too fast?  I'm baffled.  Any ideas of what you should be coming in at for a B737?  I was hovering in 2000 feet of clouds, then ATC told me to go to 700, and immediately I damaged my flaps so I landed at 10 degrees flaps, which I managed to set it down all considering.  What a bad morning to start a day of flying....Down and Out Pilot.

WWT-Joe_Mini piloting Boeing 737-800 Paint4 ended Saturday, August 02, 2008 at 09:44

FSFlyingSchool Version 1.9.2 (11th June 2008)
Using: FSX
Visibility: 6.00 Miles     Wind: 8 Knots

Aircraft: BOEING ID: N737T Airline: Orbit Flight: 2
Flight plan: KTPA TO KPNS NAV1: PAM
Failure(s): None at landing
Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None

Landing Score:0.00
Autopilot used.

Landing was successful in the following areas:
  • Good glideslope on visual approach.
  • Good alignment with runway on visual approach.
  • Gentle touchdown.
  • Wings were level.
  • Distance from runway numbers (visual approach): 1199 feet
  • Glideslope held until flare.
  • Good pitch control after touchdown.
  • Good pitch at landing.
  • With flaps - good job.
  • With spoilers armed.
  • Heading aligned with runway.
  • Throttle(s) idle.
  • Good controlled final descent to touchdown.
  • Good steering after landing.

Landing included the following problems:
  • Too fast - you had to force the plane to stay down.
Definite room for improvement...

Flight Score:89.05
Autopilot used.

Flight commended in the following areas:
  • Smooth turns.
  • Nice banking.
  • Gear deployment at safe speed.
  • Comfortable G forces.
  • Smooth pitch control.
  • Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.
  • Good take off steering.
  • Rotation was not late.
  • Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.
  • Safe taxi speed.
  • Smooth braking during taxi.
  • Smooth climb during takeoff.
  • Wings level near ground.
  • Well coordinated turns.
  • No stalls.
  • No flying dangerously close to stall speed.
  • Smooth comfortable descent rate.
  • Pitch not too high.
  • Pitch not too low.
  • Flaps down on time.
  • Approach speed not too fast.
  • Low altitude speeds not too fast.
  • Good clearance of obstacles.

Flight included the following problems:
  • Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.
  • Dangerous taxiing turns - these cause discomfort and stress.
Definite room for improvement...

Joe Mini
President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"

Mission Statement:

We ARE the youngest fleet of pilots in the world!  Our pilots average LESS than 10 hours of total flight experience.  No company in the world can offer this kind of flying security.  Fly with confidence knowing our pilots are there to make your flight one of the most memorable one ever!  Sit back and enjoy the ride.

“If we get you to your destination in one piece, it’s a miracle!” ™

Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC.

Post #1705
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:37:11 AM

Joe:

About the speed. If you look at some of my screenshots, you will see the speed indicator in the plane, beeing very different than the speed on my external GPS. I know it´s KIAS versus GS but the difference is more than 100 knots, in 4 knots of wind. That does not compute.

I´ve been meaning to ask SL if he can explain. It seems like I go much faster than the speed indicator in the plane, tells me. I don´t know.

SL - do you know anything about that?

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1706
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:46:47 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Joe:

Keep your chin up, dear chap - we'll get there.

Well, I'm already out of the running!  #$!#$!$#!@$!  I didn't understand what a GPS landing meant to do?  I had to land on a NON-ILS runway with in clouds at 700 feet,  which brought me in way below the glideslope, and Mr. Smith was freaking constantly saying your below the glideslope.  But what really baffles me is that he said I landed way to fast, which I thought from my limited knowledge of heavy jets, and in particular the 737, I thought you come in around 140-150, yet I landed around 137 and still got gigged for landing too fast?  I'm baffled.  Any ideas of what you should be coming in at for a B737?  I was hovering in 2000 feet of clouds, then ATC told me to go to 700, and immediately I damaged my flaps so I landed at 10 degrees flaps, which I managed to set it down all considering.  What a bad morning to start a day of flying....Down and Out Pilot.

Landings in FSFS use ILS or visual approaches - I am not sure what your GPS question relates to.

Stay away from visual landings in big jets - that is my simple advice.

I have a source which says

Vref for 40 tonnes for flaps 30 is 119kts.
Vref for 40 tonnes for flaps 40 is 116kts.

So 137 KIAS is rather faster than needed.

FSFS does not (yet) track how the aircraft's changing weight affects this equation.

Here's a tip, make sure you fly using realistic fuel levels. These big birds are a lot easier to bring in with realistic fuel loads compared to a default "almost full" experience that most simmers get because FS loves to "fill 'er up" when the flight starts. Take the fuel you will need, plus reserves, but do not just set off with loads of extra fuel. I leave it to you to find the data you need on the web, but if you can at least start with less than full and you'll soon get the idea.

You have to watch your flap speeds carefully and this is an area in which it is handy to have an add-on plane which shows a realistic display of data on the PFD. It will show you if you are getting close to stalling or damaging your flaps. Without such luxuries, just make sure you have your flap speeds handy (even on a piece of paper) so you can adjust your speed as required and will either slow down or raise some flaps if you are about to go too fast for the current flaps setting.

Post #1707
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:02:32 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

oleandreasen (8/2/2008)
Joe:

About the speed. If you look at some of my screenshots, you will see the speed indicator in the plane, beeing very different than the speed on my external GPS. I know it´s KIAS versus GS but the difference is more than 100 knots, in 4 knots of wind. That does not compute.

I´ve been meaning to ask SL if he can explain. It seems like I go much faster than the speed indicator in the plane, tells me. I don´t know.

SL - do you know anything about that?

This is the great thing about this hobby / obsession. You are always learning...

If I understand your question, the answer is the differences between
IAS - indicated air speed
TAS - true air speed
GS - ground speed

I will leave it to you to explore this on the web or with your favorite piloting book, but essentially the point is that if you are flying, even in still air, high up, then the air is a lot thinner and 250 KIAS will translate to a heck of a lot faster at ground level.

There's not so much air up there and so to produce the aerodynamic forces on your plane and instruments to equal 250 KIAS you have to be moving a lot faster than 250 knots near the ground.

Post #1708
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:04:03 AM

SL:

Sorry. You posted while I wrote, making this post un-interesting.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #1709
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««12345»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:11pm