FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««34567»»»

WWT - Oles flights from The Middle East,... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, December 29, 2008 10:55:53 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Leg 13c:

NZWN (Wellington) to NZAA (Auckland) Both New Zealand

Smith and  I argued about the centerline/no centerline landing for hours on end, but ended up getting a great meal of Mexican food instead, with a genuine Corona to go with it, and we actually went to bed laughing like kids. I woke up the next day feeling so much better than after an argument, and decided to write a thank-you letter to the Mexicans - now where do one send such one?

But for now it was off to the northernmost part of New Zealand.... Auckland

We were stuck in heavy traffic here, but Smith was calm and ATC´ed us to the runway.                       And in no time flat, we were up and heading towards Auckland.

I never get tired from looking down on the ground from an airplane...                                              And of course scanning the instruments once in awhile, so Smith dont get impatient.

Smith had brought two gigantic Cuban cigars for some reason, and now we lit them up.             Causing the smokedetector to go off, and thus scaring the hell out of Auckland traffic control.

But we fought the cabinsmoke, and oozed - no sorry - eased the plane down to the ground.          And Smith sweedtalked us into a great parkingspot, close to the ashtrays...

Nice one Smith - I really enjoyed it. How was it for you?

Landing Score:122,65 (That good huh? *sigh* no really thats okay by me )

Landing included the following problems:

• Too hard - may have damaged your landing gear.

Definite room for improvement...

Flight Score:135,02 (And below 140 - well one does tend to want more and more)

Flight included the following problems:

• Dangerous taxiing turns - these cause discomfort and stress.
  • Airspeed too low - you are risking stalls.
  • Nose held too low - we're not in combat.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3135
Posted Monday, December 29, 2008 11:18:11 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Leg 14a:

NZAA (Auckland - New Zealand) to YSCB (Canberra - Australia)

Canberra - the true Capitol of Australia. I played a game called "Pirates" in about 1987 sailing the Caribbean and plundering. When I got to a big town I visited the Govenor - so maybe I could find the govenor of Canberra. Hand me that phonebook Smith, no no not the one for Ballerup - Denmark. The Canberra one for Christ sake...

Arh - never mind, We have to fly all the way to Australia first. I have time to ask the towerpeople for the adress.

Smith? Can you tell me if I need to go to the right or the left?                                               Oh we will just follow that 737 in front of us. He got clearence first.

Ive notised that whenever the ATC is a woman, we always get first in line Smith. How come?          You just have a great big talent there Smith.... Now east, north east we go.

And there is Canberra Airport - runway 34 as I recall... Should we Smith? Ok!                                   Looking foxy... No not you Smith - we do, going down.

Aaah - Landings don´t come any better than this Smith - Welcome back to Australia.                      Steak´s on me today....

Landing Score:127,05 (See what I said Smith? Splendid!)

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:149,05 (And a veeery decent flightscore as well - Steaks are definetly on me tonight Smith!   )

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3136
Posted Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:06:15 AM

Leg 14b:

YSCB (Canberra) to YSSY (Sydney) both Australia

From the Capitol we headed on to Sydney. I couldent wait to see Jorn Utzons famous Operahouse in the Sydney Harbor. He being a Danish architect, having something to do with it, and the fact that he died just a couple of months ago, but the Operahouse itself really is a beaut, so That was a must. Only sad that we had to go by it in such a hurry, in the 737. But the solution to that came all by itself, or from R.Ichman, who are thinking more about us than I ever thought.

I was looking out the window from the Pilot Lounge, when I saw the 737 start to taxi away - I shouted at Smith  "what the heck is going on now? That damn plane is coming and going like  - well like I dont know" What now?

Smith didnt know, but Joseph Ministrone tapped me on my shoulder at that exact moment and told me that Robert Ichman had contacted him and asked him to fly over to me again, and bring me a note - and something else too.

The note said:

Dear Ole Andreasen. I understand that you originally planned to fly the world wide tour in a KingAir 350, but that plane was grounded in Miami. Now you are going to Sydney, and being a Dane, you might wanna look at the Operahouse, from something else than the fast 737. I therefore bring you an opportunity to fly this leg in a slower plane - a pistonengine plane in fact, and decided to make it a KingAir 350. Hope you will accept this challange. But the 737 is parked and ready if you should decide to use it instead. Jeff Piston has it warmed up.

Sincerly

Robert Ichman

It seemed like the guy was reading my mind. It was scary in a way, but I could only laugh. Of course I would fly in the KingAir. It would be great to try my first WWT piston leg. And I am happy to say that Smith smiled like a boy in a candystore, when he heard it. Great for the trip, probably not so great for the score....

Boy its great to sit in a plane where you can hear the engine sounding like a moped motorbike.            And look at that small instrumentpanel Smith. Great!

Whoo - the follow me car is not here, and this is an 8000 mile maze of taxiways. A dice please.                  Wheew we made it at last Smith, only an hour and a half of taxiing around...

I´ve arranged a meeting with Crocodile Dundee Smith. Know you are a big fan of his.                       Look at this fantastic scenery man. Wonderful.

LOOK Smith. Danish design! The operahouse. But fuel is low - we gotta land soon!                            Right in the dip. Beam us down Smitty - again.

Right on, man. I recon the score will be considerably lower in this whisk, but boy it was fun to feel a plane being so alive compared to the big jets. Fantastic leg.

So what do you say Smith? How did I do?

Landing Score:96,85 (below one hundred - well its a KingAir 350 so what the....!)

• Nose down too low - you need to land on your main gear.
  • Ballooning during landing - needs practice.

Flight Score:100,61 (considering the acrobatic flying at the operahouse, that was expected)

• Exceeding gear speed - your landing gear may be damaged: have it checked.
  • Sickening G forces - your passengers feel rather unwell.
  • Rough pitch control - that flight felt like a rollercoaster.
  • Rapid descent - dangerous and uncomfortable.
  • Flaps not down on time - plan your landing next time.

Definite room for improvement

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3137
Posted Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:51:21 AM

Leg 16a:

YSSY (Sydney) to YBBN (Brisbane) both Australia

Sydney was intoxicating. A perfect blend of western lifestyle, and asian, being so close by, culture too. I could have stayed here for months I think, if I had been an unmarried, singleguy, but Christmas is for the family, and once again my new friend Robert Ichman had proven more forseeing than I could ever imagine. My hotelroom in Sydney was doorknocked in the gloom of the day, and when I went to open it, my wife, and my kids were all there, about 18.000 kilometers from home, in Sidney. It was without doubt the best sight I had ever seen in my life. I am now in a lifelong debt to Mr. Ichman. Smith had been accompanied by Mx.Aviatrix, and they had wandered off together, and Robert Ichmans crew was on leave to, so this was a few days, in total harmonie, and I charged my batteries to the max during. Only three months to go.

But everything will come to an end. We celebrated my 45. birthday here also, but on the 29. of december, the family headed for Denmark, and Smith and I dusted off the 737, and prepared for the next leg, to Brisbane. Smith had gotten a very fancy Golden wristwatch from Ms.Aviatrix, and he didn´t miss one single opportunity to show it to me. So I was aware of the time on this flight - oh indeed I was.

Like Sydney itself, the planes in the airport came in all shapes, sizes and colours.                                   Traffic was as dense as Smiths goldwatch was heavy, so we waited and waited for takeoff clearence.

But eventually - as always, we were released, and headed north.                                                      The landscape was so different, and so deligthful to watch, that I was glad I had the autopilot to steer for me.

Smith and I had time for a game of scrabble, and Im proud to say that I beat the crap out of him.                    But finally we crossed the river, and was on final for Brisbane airport, runway 1.

Passed the downtown Brisbane, and headed down, perfectly aligned.                                     Towershot of us bringing the baby in.

I like those final moments where the entire flight is summed up into one burst of activity.         After a very gratifying landing, we parked beside a small piston, and headed for the lounge.

Smith, my old friend, what have you to say about this?

Landing Score:111,10 (You sure about that Smith? Well all I can say then, is - Happy New Year!)

• Without spoilers armed - arm them before landing. (One piston trip and you forget the routine - pre-landing checklists please!)
  • Throttle(s) forward - should be idle. (Pretty sure they were....)

Flight Score:136,91 (Low airspeed, rapid descent.... Sheez Ole, buck up!)

• Rapid descent - dangerous and uncomfortable.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3138
Posted Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:47:30 PM

Leg 16:

YBBN (Brisbane) to YBCS (Cairns) - Both Australia

Well after this I-cannot-remember-how-to-set-up-the-plane trip in the 737, we felt assured that we had it in our grasp to make a decent score in the 737, so We headed on to the very last Australian stop. Boy it is going to be strange to not be in Australia, after so many stops here, and so many things to see. But everything must come to an end, so we smiled - and hey, it wasent over. Cairns was still the destination, so  - Big smile Smith!

Fuel on board, Flight planned, ATC has given taxiclearence, so its away.                                     And off once again into the clear blue sky, and passing the beautyful Sea beneath.

What an excellent day for flying Smith. Almost wish we had an old biplane to fly in.                          But this is nice too, hand me that chocolate bar please, the Outback bar, yummi.

Last Aussie stop in sight Smith. Just across that river and down we go.                                         Gotta make it good. Last chance for an Australian topscore.

Klinketyklonk Smith. Down we went. Quite good - dont you think?                                             Last chance for a native Forster Smith. Come on.

Landing Score:118,20 (No? well then, Forster is on yourself Smith!)

• Not near the centre line - you can do better.

Flight Score:127,16 (Jeez man, what the beep did I do wrong - or what the heck did I NOT do wrong?)

• Steep banking - save your aerobatic flying for some other time.
  • Sickening G forces - your passengers feel rather unwell.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3190
Posted Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:02:50 PM

Leg 17:

YBCS (Cairns - Australia) to AYPY (Port Moresby -  New Guinea)

Well there it is! Australia is over and done with for me. Strange feeling. But the show must go on, and we must too.

Goodbye Australia. Off to Port Moresby. Beautyful scenery again.                                                One of those on-the-runway-turns. I never liked those.

This is a fairly long flight Smith. We could have used the 747, but you cant have it all -                       Where would you put it? Never mind, New Guniea here we come.

Nothing to do over all that water. Reminds me - have you seen my toothbrush Smith?              WHAT? You´ve What? Cleaning a dogturd out of your bootheels with MY Toothbrush?

Christ some friend you turned out to be Smith. No just shut up, and let me land this thing.                  No prelanding-check Smith. I´m really really pissed.

I aint talking to you today Smith. Just go get me a new toothbrush, right NOW.                               - and CLOSE the damn door - there is a draft.

Landing Score:126,75 (Splendid landing my buttcheeks - onehundredtwentysix?)

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:141,78 (Well at least there is ONE decent score)

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3191
Posted Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:21:02 PM

Leg 18:

AYPY (Port Moresby - New Guinea) to WABB (Biak - Indonesia)

Shaken but not desturbed. I shook off the toothbrush incident, and made up with Smith. He on the other hand, handed me 7 new - different - toothbrushes, one for each deadly sins he said. I didnt quite get that, but smiled nontheless. The rest of the day was excellent - We were back, and that was the way it should be.

So off to Indonesia. Cannot believe that we are closing in on North America again, soon. Still long way to go, but still, and from the other side. But for now, Indonesia.

Just another town, another train, sang ABBA once. I could refrase to "another airport"                  But not "another runway". We took off from a  - a grassstrip? Well anything different...

Oh there IS a tarmac runway also, good cause I dont remember landing on grass.                             And then more water. Have a Perrier Smith? Always get so thirsty from looking at all that water.

That a humpback whale Smith? no never mind, it was just an Island. Sorry.                                 Lets steer clear of that jungle Smith. Dont want to land on a tree.

OK we are about to land. Smith, please take your seat. No landinggear pics this time.                     Looking fair enough. Lets bring her in Smith.

- aaaaand BINGO! Cannot believe that I thought it was so hard to land this plane Smith.                        But still - its time for coffee and icecream.

- after you give me your worst Smith.

Landing Score:126,25 (I knew it man. Another "spendid landing" and another crappy score)

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:145,34 (And another one to make up for it. well thats something)

• Nose held too high - spilt drinks and worried expressions.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3192
Posted Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:36:52 PM

Leg 19:

WABB (Biak - Indonesia) to RPLL (Manilla - Philippines)

Away from Indonesia - land of many badminton players Smith. My favorite sports. And off to the Philippines, land of - what? that Marcus woman, with all those 3000 pairs of shoes, wasent that the Philippines?

OK lets get to the runway. I really feel like flying today. Could we turn on the panel light?         What? a fuse?  well a little late for that Smith! what if it had been dark?

Seven tenths of the earth is water Smith. I always found that hard to grasp -                                  But now I really believe it. It´s everywhere.

Luckily the autopilot can bring some dry land to us again.                                                               at least for some time. Hey what are you doing under there Smith?

Hey! You fixed the cabinlight. cool - better late than never. Sun is setting so bravo Smith.                             And down we go Smith, yet again.

- landing away from the sun. Beautyful picture Smith. I still dont have a clue how you take them.              But anyway. we are down again, and so we head on to a matress somewhere. Im wasted.

Landing Score:139,05 (Now thats more like it! Hurra!)

• Poor glideslope on ILS approach - you can do better.

Flight Score:139,91 (and that makes an average of just about 139, dont you think so Smith?)

• Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3193
Posted Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:51:07 AM

Leg 20:

RPLL (Manilla - Philippines) to RCTR (Taipei - Taiwan)

Busy airport in Manilla - Smith and I yawned and stretched and tried to come to life - to qoute Dolly Parton.       Daylight was creeping in - another 9-5 job on the agenda.

Slightly fogged airport, but I finally got the pebbles out of my eyes, and was ready.                       A morning like that - and you just cannot help believe in God.

Whoo some mountainpeaks there - huh Smith. Glad Im not the mailmain around here.                   But a scruba gear and that coastline - in the summer Smith - in the summer.

And behold! Taipei. Remind me to get a new digital camera here Smith.                                           But we juuuuuust gotta set her down first. Yeees like that.

Just park her besides that China Airlines thing there Smith. Thank you. And the rating please!

Landing Score:127,40 (A splendid landing - but then why not a splendid score?)

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:140,94 (But once again - the flightscore must lift the spirit in this cockpit)

• Narrowly missed tail strike - watch your pitch: this could have been bad.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3262
Posted Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:06:36 AM

Leg 21:

RCTP (Taipei - Taiwan) to ZBAA (Beijing - China)

China - land of myths like very few others. Gotta visit the Mao ZeDung mausulaum Smith. and take pictures with my new Camera - Damn things like that are cheap in Taiwan - I actually bought 3 Cameras.

OK - Time for another 747 flight. Now lets see. where is the throttle? oh there.                               If I didnt know better, I would have guessed this to be a tropical island.

And awaaaaay we go!                                                                                                             We´re off to see the wizard - the wonderful.... arh come on Smith  - sing with me.

Rough country Smith. I thought China was all small ricebeds.                                                     And so we... SMITH! COME BACK IN - and use your own damn camera.

If you EVER do that again - I call for Mr. Mitchell for the remainder of the WWT.                             You messed up my concentration there. Dont you dare give me bad ratings.

Well we made in down safe - no thanks to you.                                                                          Look at those babyplanes Smith.

OK - moment of truth. Swing at me Smith.

Landing Score:147,00 (Good man Smith - Hope I didn´t frighten you)

• Too hard - may have damaged your landing gear

Flight Score:160,23 (And Voilá! A new highscore for me - Nice to remember China for)

• Steep banking - save your aerobatic flying for some other time.
  • Late rotation - when Vr is reached - take off.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3263
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««34567»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:54pm