FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««12345»»»

WWT - Oles flights from The Middle East,... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, November 24, 2008 6:08:31 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have now concluded my second quarter of this FSFlyingschool World Wide Tour. I am halfway there, and I am having as much fun with Mr. Smith and all the others as I did four months ago, when we started this.

Smith and I are getting along quite nicely now. We spend little time argueing anything, and just have fun taking pictures and watching the world move by beneath us, and enjoy an occational celebration beer or drink instead. Ms.Aviatrix could not be here in Nepal, so Smith and I plan to climb a mountain, or at least climb up "the rock" - which is the local bar. And we are joined in a few hours by Jeff Piston, our empty-plane pilot. Quite a guy too, once you get him to open his mouth. I think he flies to much by himself.

Anyway - I will once again take the liberty to thank FSInventions for the brilliant FSFlyingschool, which made this tour possible. If not for that, I would still fly Cessnas from Copenhagen to Roskilde and back, and what fun would that be? Now I land a 737 visually in Nepal and get a good rating for it. Those guys at FSInventions should have a medal, they really should.

And thanks to Joe, for keeping up with me - or trying - I hear that he is some airports behind, but he does a lot more flights than I do, and has some tecnical difficulties at the moment, but I trust that he will arrive here at Kathmandu, before long, and join us in celebrations of making it halfway.

My scoretable for the second quarter looks like this:

Destination Airport

Leg nr.

Icao - depart

Icao - dest.

Flightscore

Landingscore

Paris – France

EGLL

LFPG

Madrid – Spain

LFPG

LEMD

Lisboa – Portugal

LEMD

LPPT

Rabat – Morocco

LPPT

GMME

Algiers – Algeria

GMME

DAAG

Tripoli – Libya

DAAG

HLLT

Niamey – Niger

HLLT                  

DRRN

Bamako – Mali

DRRN

GABS

Dakar – Senegal

GABS

GOOY

Monrovia – Liberia

GOOY

GLRB

Abuia – Nigeria

GLRB

DNAA

Kinshasi – D.R. Congo

DNAA

FZAA

Windhoek – Namibia

FZAA

FYWH

Cape Town – South Africa

FYWH

FACT

Pretoria – South Africa

FACT

FAWB

Maputo – Mosambique

FAWB

FQMA

Antananarivo – Madagascar

FQMA

FMMI

Dar Es Salaam – Tanzania

FMMI

HTDA

Nairobi – Kenya

HTDA

HKJK

Enteppe -

HKJK

HUEN

Addis Ababa

HUEN

HAAB

Khartoum – Sudan

HAAB

HSSS

Cairo – Egypt

HSSS

HECA

Riyadh – Saudi Arabia

HECA

OERK

Baghdad – Iraq

OERK

ORBI

Teheran – Iran

ORBI

OIIE

Ashkhabad – Turkmenistan

OIIE

UT1G

Moscow – Russia

UT1G

UUDD

Tashkekt – Uzbekistan

UUDD

UTTT

Kabul – Afghanistan

UTTT

OAKB

Islamabad – Pakistan

OAKB

OPRN

Delhi – India

OPRN

VIDP

Kathmandu - Nepal

VIDP

VNKT

And all this ends up with the following average scores after 62 legs of flight, from Miami to Nepal.

Average flightscore   119,05                                          Average landingscore:  83,57                           Combined averagescore 101,31

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2804
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:34:43 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

And so after a short break - Mr.Smith and I, was accompanied by Jeff Piston, and really did some mountain crawling. It was cold, it was hard and it was very very fun. But everything must come to an end, and so we decided that it was time to get on with the second half of the WWT, or the third quarter.

Leg 1:

VNKT (Kathmandu - Nepal) to VGZR (Dhaka - Bangladesh)

Filled with good spirit, and happy about the last non-ils score, we set out on the thirs quest.

Nepal showed itself from its best side, when we finally departed out.                                And the sorrounding mountainscenery was breathtakingly beautyful. Even Smith was quiet.

But eventually the mountains gave way for more flat ground.                                           - and the inevitable fog entered the scene.

And went on and on and on, as Abba would have sung. Runway came right out of the white   But we touched down right where we were supposed, so everybody was happy.

It really IS a complex machine, such an airplane, don´t you think so Smith?                       Hey! Where are you going Smith? Get me a Heineken will you?

Smith left this note before he went for beer.

Landing Score:136,09 (Thanks man - Not rusty yet)

Landing included the following problems:

• Poor glideslope on ILS approach - you can do better.
  • Throttle(s) forward - should be idle.

Flight Score:141,60 (And another good one - good start)

Flight included the following problems:

• Airspeed too low - you are risking stalls.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2976
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:54:21 AM

Leg 2:

VGZR (Dhaka - Bangladesh) to VYYY (Yangon - Myanmar)

Cherfully delighted by the good start of third quarter, we decided to just push on and fly directly to Myanmar - A place none of had ever heard of before. So after dinner we refuelled and looked out into the now complete darkness. We looked at each other; would we really fly to an unknown destination - in the dark? - Sure we would. Lets go Andreasen, Smith said, and I complied.

Good thing that follow me, because the first difficult task was finding the damn runway.             It´s always nice to see citylighes from above.

Smith, our picturetaker, took about 65 pictures on this flight,                                                But in the darkroom we saw that dark was all we got on almost all of them.

But after a somewhat succesful touchdown we parked the darn thing and promised that next nightflight would have us prepare some more.

Smith was kind of silent, so I began to fear that he didn´t think the landing was so succesful after all. I ask for numbers and he gave them.

Landing Score:0,00 (Dang man, A zero on an ILS landing - Not my best effort)

• Glideslope lost before you touched down - not your best effort.
  • Nowhere near the centre line - get lined up and keep it that way.
  • Poor steering after landing - stay on the centre line

Flight Score:135,52 (well average of those two is about 78 points. Bummer!)

• Rapid descent - dangerous and uncomfortable.
  • Nose held too low - we're not in combat.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2979
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:05:31 PM

Leg 3:

VYYY (Yangon - Myanmar) to VTDB (Bangkok - Thailand)

Back on the horse - isn´t that what they say? when something is not good, try again. Next leg brings us to Bangkok, and here I plan on buying some hefty computerequipment, if I could get the darn plane down in one piece.

We started very early, to be sure that we would have daylight for the landing in Thailand          Looked like people were still sleeping down there. except for that one house down there Smith, no not that one - the one with the red drapes....

Night turned to day, and the only difference, of course is that you can see what the heck you do.      well - we flew!

And just like we predicted, we could see the runway in clear daylight. Great.                                  Bang! (kok) just down on the punctured middle thing there, what´s it called Smith? Centerline? OK.

And there was even other traffic in Bangkok, Nice after those small deserted airports.

Well Smith. Gotta give me a better score this time man. OK?

Landing Score:134,65 (a hundred times better Smith - a hundred times I tell you)

Flight Score:133,81 (Christmas must be closing in - another 130+ score)

• Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2980
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:14:49 PM

Leg 4:

VTBD (Bangkok - Thailand) to WMKK (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia)

Kuala Lumpur - sounds like something you buy in a bar. Waiter? Two Kuala Lumpurs please, with a straw! Naa just kidding. Malaysia is home of a Formula one grand prix, so it´s on MY map. Great to visit finally.

Still a busy airport when we departed. Jeff Piston went ahead in the Lear, I miss it somehow.    But Smith and I went up in the sky and pushed on.

Hey look there Smith. A Malaysian Snake - or at least a river. Looks cool man.                         But on and on we head. Do we have enough fuel?

Scattered clouds, but still a fantastic weather for flying.                                                And good visibility for landing. Look Smith a Zebra to the right? (now he didn´t see that I forgot to set the heading knob)

It´s a great picture Smith, but please don´t step outside the plane when we are airborne.       Now you can, and get some hot coffee, those fingers looks damaged by the frost.

And on to the most important. The entire purpose of this FSFlyingSchool World Wide Tour. The Score!

Landing Score:129,34 (arh man. Cool beanz - as an American dude taught me to say)

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:138,55 (And closing in on 140. Kuala Lumpur - and Mr.Smith - I love ya!)

• Sickening G forces - your passengers feel rather unwell.
  • Poor steering during takeoff - stay in the centre of the runway.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2981
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:17:55 PM

Leg 5:

WMKK (Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia) to WIHH (Jakarta - Indonesia)

Off to Indonesia Smith! We gotta go. (Words spoken at Smits hotelroom in the Picaro Hotel in Kuala Lumpur) Smith had gotten himself a terrible cold, and I blamed his out-of-the-plane stunt. He told me not to be rediculous. He had had it coming since Nepal, and of course that made sense, but still - the stunt didn´t help. Now Poor Smith was lying, rednosed and feverish. I hated to rake him out of bed, but Airport fees here were terrible, and one more day could be a terrible setback for our economy, so I got Smith into the shotgun seat, and Off we went.

Once again very scenic surroundings to fly in. Beats Denmark by a long shot.                          And even better from above.

Smith wasen´t much help on this flight. He just sat there and looked nosey.                            But I was stunned - as always - by the mountains.

And brought in by the nice ILS system we headed down the pipe.                                           Crossing the city on the way. See Smith - a Christmas tree at one o-clock.

And another fine landing. I feel very confident about this now. Practise makes perfect.           SMITH! For Gods sake. Stop that damn thing, or I´ll take your Fernet Branca away.

OK we finished landing, and are now taxiing to the gate.                                                           There you go Smith. Back to bed, for Petes sake. What were you thinking?

But - Hey, hand me your verdict before you leave - and DONT slam the door. Please!

Landing Score:133,50 (Bang! - goes another kanga, on the bonnet of the van - or so Kate Bush would have sung! (Yee-haaaaa)) 

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:143,96 (And 140+ What a WEEK Im having!)

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2983
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:38:16 PM

Leg 6:

WIHH (Jakarta) to WADD (Bali) both Indonesia

OK confidence has been restored, so we dared a flight where we started in daylight, and flew into the night. With runny noses and tingeling bellies we headed for Bali.

Shadows were already long when we settled in the cockpit.                                                  Towershot of our plane leaving the pitlane.

Hey very dense population here. Bigger than Skaelskoer, huh Smith? Never been to Skaelskor? hm...       And just a glimpse of mountains before we headed for water and darkness.

Aaah Smith. One of those purple shots that you know I love so much. Wonderful.                      And then daylight deserted us. Feel a little nervous about the upcoming dark-landing.

Even from this distance, I could see that there was something terrible wrong.                          The ILS signal was NOT in tune with the actual runway heading. Damn.

But a wise man told me that in this SIMULATOR I should stick with the ILS signal.                        So I did, and we actually came down safe. But what does Smith feel about that?

Landing Score:106,15 (well not exactly a succesful landing, missed the middle stripe there. I never saw it )

• Not near the centre line - you can do better.

Flight Score:141,20 (But the landingscore makes up for it a little - another 140+ Cool breeze)

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2984
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:59:45 PM

Leg 7a: (This is an extra leg - not a mandatory one)

WADD (Bali) to WPDL (Dili) both Indonesia.

Shocked by the non-working ILS system in Bali, we needed a rest before pressing on to an unshedueled stop in Dili.

Kind off reversed compared to the latest flight. this one started in the dark                              But daylight should come our way any time soon now.

See - good that we are moving east. Daylight already comes our way.                                        Morning fog below. I love to fly.

It all looks kinda greenish now. Makes me think of an old Stephen King movie....                    Or Tom Jones songs, brings a little tear to my eye. Sing along Smith. "Green green grass - of hooooooooome"

ah my favorite sighting. Mountains and the ocean.                                                                Take a lot of pictures Smith, come on man.

And the airport placed right there almost in the ocean, surrounded by lovely scenery                 Can this baby land on water Smith? don´t know? well look in the manual then.

Two reds, two whites. Great! But Smith - does that runway look very narrow to you too?             Well we must ease this baby down along the striped middle-thing there. Come again Smith? Centerline that´s right.

Look Smith. Isn´t it fantastic? I could sit here and look out the windows for days.                      But I really need a little bathroom-break, so out of my way Smith. Here I cooooooome.

Aaaah what a relief. Now I am ready for the Smithsonian hammer. Hit me Smith.

Landing Score:39,95 (Oh rats. I know it wasen´t good but I didn´t know it was this bad. Bummer!)

• Not near the centre line - you can do better.
  • Ballooning during landing - needs practice.

Flight Score:127,31 (and even the flightscore has a lot to be  desired - Not my finest performance)

• Sickening G forces - your passengers feel rather unwell.
  • Narrowly missed tail strike - watch your pitch: this could have been bad.
  • Nose held too high - spilt drinks and worried expressions.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2985
Posted Friday, December 12, 2008 1:09:05 AM

Leg 7b:

WPDL (Dili - Indonesia) to YPDN (Darwin - Australia)

Three stops in Indonesia - that is the first time I have made so many stops in a single contry, but now I´m heading towards Australia, and that being a continent, and a contry, that record will last only four more stops.... It´s always with a bit of excitement when I am entering new ground, like a different continent, so this flight was really cool to get on with.

Smith and I talked about Kangaroo stakes and Crocodile hunting while we taxied out                 And quick as a 737, we made space between us and the ground.

Luckily there were still lots of mountain peeks to look at from the plane.                                  And so we can see the sea deviding Indonesia from Australia.

Over the hills and far away - sang Gary Moore, but this was more over the water -               and bingo, the very first touch of native Australia - and far away.

Smith - Please. this is getting very tiresome. Throw the harness over there and sit down.         But It´s Australia man. Really! And we are bumping down in just a second.

Yeeeeees! Looking good Smitty. I have a good feeling about this one.                                      And see - a used.... no sorry. A Virgin Plane. Guess they ran out of red paint.

Aah breathe in Smith. Can you smell the Australian soil? Now where are the Kangas? What? - the points? Oh yes - almost forgot.

Landing Score:128,55 (Smooth ride)

A splendid landing!

Flight Score:138,10 (Take it away boys, me approve!)

• Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2989
Posted Friday, December 12, 2008 3:35:46 AM

Leg 8:

YPDN (Darwin) to YTNK (Tennant)

Now to a lot of non-ils airports. I do expect a big point down in these, so please expect lower scores too.

Hey Look Smith, remember the Virgin plane earlier? Over there is the exact opposite.                  Taxiing to the depart runway. Australia Here we go!

Violently turn to get on the path.                                                                                       Clouds ahead - on a visual - oh no!

What the heck is that outside - it looks like something out of a WW2 war-flightsim.                  Luckily the weather cleared, and we are cleared to land. Wish me luck.

OH NO. Much to far down the runway before touching down - I feel a zero coming up.                Fill´er up please - no no not all the way up.

See Smith a time and place for everything. Now you can stand on the ground for that pic.       Veeeery deserted location here. Wanna get out of here Smith?

Allright give me my zero first....

Landing Score:16,00 (Well well - first time I´m content with 16,00 - noone to blame but me)

• Distance from touchdown target (visual approach): 421 feet (Yes that´s why - I knew it)

• Too hard - may have damaged your landing gear.

Flight Score:138,87 (At least this one to make up a little for it)

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2990
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««12345»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:49pm