FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««1011121314»»»

WWT Joe Mini Log and Pictures Part 1: Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 4:54:41 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31:09 AM
SquadronLeader (9/29/2008)
Great stuff Joe - thanks for keeping us all up to date on your exploits, with lavish illustrations and quit witted commentary.

Now then - about those fuel calculations...

Hey thanks SL, still got more to come!

Yea, I blame it all on Ole.  I saw an interesting news clip one day of airliners just barely putting in enough fuel to save costs.  We at JoeMini WWT took it one step further.  Put in less than needed and see what happens...

Rest assured fellow WWT passengers, we'll put a little more in next time.

Joe Mini

President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC. 
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"  

Post #2375
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 5:05:52 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Now that fuel-estimation circus. How do we get better at that?

The estimate in FS is very very rough. Is there another program that can help calculating the fueluse a little better? Or SL: how about you, do you know anybody, anybody at all, who could code such a little addon?

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2376
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 5:46:41 AM

oleandreasen (9/29/2008)
Now that fuel-estimation circus. How do we get better at that?

The estimate in FS is very very rough. Is there another program that can help calculating the fueluse a little better? Or SL: how about you, do you know anybody, anybody at all, who could code such a little addon?

Here's how my fuel estimation went...

1.  Knew approximately the distance between cities.
2.  Based upon "calculation" it was to be about 1 hour flight..
3.  Went with FSX ATC control instead of VFR.
4.  Damn ATC had me fly all this extra patterning....
5.  Knew I was in trouble, but the excitement of making it was building...
6.  Watching the gas tanks dwindle....I knew I was in trouble...but I actually thought I was going to make it...I bet if I was in a smaller plane, I would have, but being it was a B737....not a chance...

Plus you know Mr. Smith would have said you "landed too hard" and not give me any credit for my piss poor fuel calculations and coming in hot.  The only thing that would have made this flight even more funny would have been for FSX ATC to say "go around"

Joe Mini

Post #2385
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 6:15:37 AM

Joe:

If you are willing to take the foot off the reality pedal for a second, during such an emergency flight, then you can call a fuel-plane and have a in-flight fuel refill.

(you can go to aircraft - fuel and payload, and here you can put a little extra in the tanks, just to save your flight) It will not be completly accurate but then again... I saw that you flew a leg with clear weather, so here also you left the complete accuracy a tad behind.

Just a suggestion.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2388
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 6:23:16 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:40:27 AM
I don't have the FAA requirements in front of me, but the captain is required to load a lot of extra fuel, to reach an alternate, and then some, etc. This is still vastly less than simply filling her up and taking off, but it is a long way from anything like running out because of delays.

Having said that, there have been plenty of real examples in the history of the NTSB where planes have had to request that they land "now" because they can no longer hold in a pattern safely.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #2390
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 6:32:15 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:40:27 AM
oleandreasen (9/29/2008)
Joe:

If you are willing to take the foot off the reality pedal for a second, during such an emergency flight, then you can call a fuel-plane and have a in-flight fuel refill.

(you can go to aircraft - fuel and payload, and here you can put a little extra in the tanks, just to save your flight) It will not be completly accurate but then again... I saw that you flew a leg with clear weather, so here also you left the complete accuracy a tad behind.

Just a suggestion.

Ah ha! So that's your plan is it??? We, here at the Sinister Lab, will add logic so that if the fuel level goes up during the flight, Smitty will disconnect you all!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #2392
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 6:40:42 AM

marvellous! I finally made a suggestion - eh. well no I did not but anyway. - that made it through. Thank you SL.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2393
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 6:47:35 AM

oleandreasen (9/29/2008)
Joe:

Just a suggestion.

What in flight emergency? I was getting the pop-up windows saying to refuel, but you just don't understand the philosophy of my JoeMini WWT company.  We fly by the seat of our pants.  We did not even brief the passengers that we've ran out of fuel.  That would make us look stupid.   We did pass out free beer and marg's during the last 10 minutes of flight to take the edge off of passengers.

And yes SL, there are FAA rules for fuel...During the day I believe it 30 extra minutes and 45 minutes for night time.  (Private Pilot)  Supposed to have alternative landing spots, etc.  I would surmise there's something for commercial.

Joe Mini

Post #2394
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 8:49:26 AM

Hey, stop picking on me! I was just showing you a way out of the newspaper frontpages.

I discovered this when doing the opposite once. I forgot to change fuelstatus, and went in air with 100% fuel. When I discovered it, I circled out over the ocean (I actually did that) and dumped fuel, by changing the fuel-amount to 10% instead of 82%.

Is that equally bad this? That´s what the biggies do sometimes. so SL: when changing the logic, keep an opening to rapid descents in fuelamount, simulating fueldumping.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2397
Posted Monday, September 29, 2008 1:19:20 PM

LGAV to LGMK (September 21)  Athens, Greece to Mikonos, Greece

Decided to fly low and slow and snap a few pictures...unfortunately, I don't want to clogg up this webpage, so here's some of the better ones.  Beautiful weather of course, because I made it that way...Enjoy.

A little overkill with the food truck don't cha think?  And then we have to contend with front loader lifters..Can I fly please?

Flying over the main olympic game stadium, and the Plaka, Acropolis and old olympic stadium....

Actually ran that track and climbed the steps like Rocky....then passed out.   Cruise ship and a freighter in the harbor.

Old Athens airport and just one good looking pilot?

Flying next to some land formations and closing in on Mikonos...A party Island?

Closing in on Final and a short stop to check out the cafeteria.

Flying Notes: Landing Score: 88.04  Flight Score: 100.18

• Distance from runway numbers (visual approach): 195 feet   (non-ILS landing)  Not bad?
  • A splendid landing!
  •  

Flight included the following problems: (Some skillful flying over Athens doomed me...)

• Steep banking - save your aerobatic flying for some other time.
    • Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.
    • Poor steering during takeoff - stay in the centre of the runway.

Joe Mini

Post #2404
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««1011121314»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:03pm