FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««23456»»»

S&S Tour - Team Fenric's Race to the Bottom Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:46:19 PM
FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:11:34 AM
Well whaddya know, those nonILS files can come in handy....

OTOH, exiting FSX before posting a pretty good score disables the ability to post said score.  Live and learn....

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #5808
Posted Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:29:02 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Today's a short flight day for Team Fenric.  Started by scudding over some mud flats, dodging birds along the way...

... and then dropping in at Townville - one of the most well detailed airfields that we've seen in dear old MSFS....

We've nonILS'ed the aiming points at all 4 runways and will take a few days to enjoy the area.  Mum's flying in, as it's her birthday.  Smitty's promised to fetch the cakes, and I'm sure that someone recently mentioned fixing up some 'roo curry.  Too right it's got to go well with some cold ones....

Ta for now.

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #5819
Posted Monday, November 16, 2009 2:36:33 AM

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
Hi Fenric,

Glad your enjoying the scenery, it's pretty cool isn't it? Didn't know you were into ornithology!

If you haven't already found them there are some very good FREE airfields from FTX. Unfortunately all are behind you now but still well worth downloading

http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html

If your running FTX  Aussie scenery then you should also load the free AU Mesh available from FTX at the same link.

It will be interesting to see what FTX make of the new USA scenery they are shortly to release

Enjoy

Biggles

Post #5825
Posted Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:45:44 PM

Biggles,

The OZx 3.0 fields are safely installed on Team Fenric's Cleansed Tower of (Modest) Power.  We're using the Abacus v2 mesh - repackaged FSGenesis mesh I believe, so it's 76m.  Here's a shot I took of the super pit at Kalgoorlie.  I saw a documentary about this a few days ago, so I knew I had to check it out in FSX...

Anywho... back to the tour....

On approach to Innisfail today - Team Fenric droning along, unaware of this most aptly named of airfields.

A nudge of the yoke brings Smitty out of his doze and set for landing mode.  "Yer too high, reduce throttle."

I'll throttle you, the thought clangs around my noggin.  Wind's out of the north, so we line up for runway 3 - the grass strip. 

Flaps set, slight crab angle to account for the crosswind... 200 feet, then a blur dashes across the end of the runway as we draw near. 

No, it can't be....  An unmapped bypass off of the A1????

100 feet... 50... Smitty still blissfully unconcerned.  Then in a blink of an eye, a large shadow fills the windshield from our left...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reflexively yanking my yoke  I float a miserable 103 feet off point.  And to top it all off, we didn't get the license number of that truck.

Now, off to dash out a note of congratulations to the Director General, Royal Australian Aerodrome Adjunct Obstacle Planning Commission.  A masterstroke of confusion and panic!!!

Drinks all around - cause bottles and cans are round, ya know....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5853
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:25:57 PM

Great scenery.

I was sure there was a patch to fix the traffic conflict but couldn't find it so I asked on the forum. As you can see they are not only very informative, if a little unhelpful, but very very quick

True Story: Just outside Limavady in Northern Ireland there was an RAF Base called Ballykelly. c. 1965  Guess what ran across the middle of the runway?  I'll give you a clue----pilots notes for the field included an extract of the train timetable. I'm not kidding twice a day the train to Belfast would cross the runway. I've got a pic somewhere, if I find it I'll post it.

Biggles

bruce e

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)
« on: Today at 03:46:38 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote Accept answer Reject answer

Hi all,

Lined up for take of on the grass strip only to be run down by a lorry  Cry

I'm sure I've seen a fix realigning roads but I searched and it's gone walkabout?

Also I'm not sure whether this is an FTX or an OZx issue. Sorry in advance

Any thoughts greatfully acted on

Bruce
Report to moderator   195.93.21.6

MS Vista SP2  Intel Core2Quad CPU Q9550@2.83GHz  4GB Ram
AU Gold 19893
FTX Australia SP3 dvd 35860
OZx 3.0 Airfields and Mesh
Soon to add NW USA/Canada
John_Venema
Administrator
Life Member

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:43:18 AM »

That is an OZx airfiled; please check with them on their forums.
Report to moderator   Logged

i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz | EX58-EXTREME Mobo | 12GB DDR3@1600 | 285GTX 1GB | 2x 150GB WD Velociraptors in RAID-0 on Adaptec_1430SA | Samsung 2233Z 120Hz 22" LCD @1680x1050 Primary | Samsung 305T 30" LCs @ 2560x1600 Secondary | Thermaltake Spedo Case| Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit | nVidia Driver 190.62 | TrackIR5 | nVidia 3D Vision | fsx.CFG untweaked
markwlee
OZx Developer
Life Member

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:26:23 AM »

Innisfail is obviously a default field.  It appears in the goto list and is very (shall we say) plain.  The traffic has no road or trees associated with it (on my laptop at least).  ORBX roads look much better than default. They have 2-way traffic which drives on the LHS.  However the database they're drawn from does not agree with FSX or GE in many cases and the trees often interfere with approaches/climbouts or straggle across runways.  This causes conlicts which can be bodgied around by us at OZx: we can "specific-terrain" exclude all of that type of road from a QMID14 square, then possibly replace with default road line/textures in the correct places.  We cannot edit the original SBX SBP source files by ORBX/Holger nor use matching ORBX-style roads.  We only do our patching where it's necessary at OZx fields.

Cheers,
Mark 3032 5862 10958 18583 YWVA YJKT YSCH
Core2DuoE6750@3.4gHz/2gBCorsairDDR2/Raid0/Gigabyte4890OC1gB/22"Samsung/Antec900w650W/SaitekYokeQuad/CHpedalsQuad/XFi/THX5500
John_Venema
Administrator
Life Member

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:50:23 AM »

Thanks Mark, sorry to assume it was an OZx field, hehe!

i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz | EX58-EXTREME Mobo | 12GB DDR3@1600 | 285GTX 1GB | 2x 150GB WD Velociraptors in RAID-0 on Adaptec_1430SA | Samsung 2233Z 120Hz 22" LCD @1680x1050 Primary | Samsung 305T 30" LCs @ 2560x1600 Secondary | Thermaltake Spedo Case| Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit | nVidia Driver 190.62 | TrackIR5 | nVidia 3D Vision | fsx.CFG untweaked
markwlee
OZx Developer
Life Member

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:56:51 AM »

No probs!

Post #5876
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:47:56 PM

Hats off, Biggles.  You are a true font of information and trivia aeronautica.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5881
Posted Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:03:54 PM

"Hello Cairns," as Team Fenric takes a slight pause to adjust new shiny light thingies in the cockpit....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5943
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:53:48 PM

A few weeks ago I was looking at the tour plan when two legs stood out - COOKstown and LIZARD Island.  "Cook," "Lizard" and "Thanksgiving" means one thing to me, so I placed an order back to the States which passed through customs at Cairns just this morning - 30 pounds of gator tail all ready to be cooked up and served by your truly on Thursday.  The missus stopped at Woolworths for the ingredients for potato salad, and Smitty picked up some ice and what he called "72 stubbies of a local - XXXX Bitter."   Hmmm....

So with the backseat Skyhawk pretty well loaded up, we slid up the coast and past some more amazing scenery and lighthouses.

We'll be at Lizard Island a few days till the stubbies are long gone, so if you're in the neighbourhood - drop by and dig in.  The weather's fairly clement - warm and humid, with some occasional showers.  Perfect for November.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5993
Posted Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:11:52 AM

### S T O P  P R E S S ###

### RUMOUR ### GOSSIP ### ENVY### GREED ###

Reliable informants have it that an aviator on the Sweet & Sour Tour is having a bit on the side.

Now the rules clearly state that no commercial dealings should be entered into during the tour.

So, tell me Mr F---ic what is this flier/leaflet/brochure/commercila enticement doing circulating the bars of the luxury hotels  on Lizard Is? Hhhmmmm?

Post #6000
Posted Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:35:57 AM

Team Fenric's choice for luxury hotelery.... 

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6002
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««23456»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:50pm