FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««12345»»»

S&S Tour - Team Fenric's Race to the Bottom Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:03:39 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
Fenric (11/4/2009)
Biggles,

So you're saying that Queensland isn't a barren stretch of unforgiving, godforsaken desert?  

After a 2-3 year absence from flight simming, I bought an i7 rig a few months ago and am building my fsx add-on suite slowly.  I spotted the Orbx Tasmania demo early on, but have yet to install it - I'll give it a spin on the spindle next week.  The stock scenery on the first few legs of the tour showed a beautiful area, but I'd like to see it throught the eyes of local experts.

I did a wx check for Queensland after work today and saw wonderful conditions for the next 2 stops.  So we snagged Smitty and made a fairly straight-line hop up the coast.  First stop, the wonderful wonderland of Williamson (love what they've done with the grey water all around the strip; really make things stand out, eh?):

I thought I saw Smitty tearing up after he gave out my scores, but he assured me that it was a bad jar of Vegemite.

Then we tripped across the Broad Sound islands and settled in at Mackay - to a point that could not be captured in a mere screenshot... but I'll try nonetheless:

Woo-bleepin'-hoo -- a 100-plus landing score!!  After my first few weeks of 20s-30s-40s, I had thought that such a total was out of my reach.  Heck, I remember when getting a 60 was tough work.  I guess it goes to show that practice practice practice pays off.

Hi Fenric,

You really are improving all the time I know the winners certificates are fabulous but you do need to give everyone a fair chance. Perhaps an odd zero here & there

I've checked out the scenery arround YWIS, both in Google Earth & Orbx & whichever way you look at it its pretty barren - just gum trees & Koala Bears.Here two pics -- the first is YWIS and the second is YBMK

Biggles

Post #5681
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:44:33 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Last Login: Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:11:34 AM
Biggles,

It's tough resisting "good" and "free," so I grabbed the AuBlue Demo v3 and spent some time tooling around YMLT.  It's lovely.  Mind you, the airport itself does drag my 920/275GTX down to 14-15 fps from a locked 30, but once in the air maintaining 30flips was no problem.

I've been given the goahead from Mrs. Fenric to purchase the AuGreen area for the remainder of the Sweet portion of the tour.  Once it and the freeware airports are installed, should I run the ''runway importer'' utility for FSFS - fearing that some of the new strips may be 30 feet to the left or somesuch.

Edited to add - Nevermind about the freeware fields - looking at the Google Earth map you've graciously linked to, all of them are in my rearview mirror.

--Fenric

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #5700
Posted Friday, November 06, 2009 2:14:35 AM

Good move

As long as you are creating you own nonILS r/w files you would NOT need to regenerate.

A good thing with Orbx doesn't effect your frame rates, Unfortunately some of the addon airfields can - but they are mighty pretty

Biggles

Post #5706
Posted Friday, November 06, 2009 4:37:46 PM

Biggs,

I haven't sussed out the non-ILS files yet, so I'll make a few practice landings to start with in a few days or so.  Going to be a working weekend for a change....  AAMOF if it looks like I'll be grounded next week, I may spring for the DVD instead - all 4 areas for the price of 3.3.  Such a deal....

I noticed the weeds/flowers at YMLT last night.  Very nice touch.

Toodle-pip

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #5721
Posted Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:32:25 AM

''Fenric old bean,

The skies will be safer during the week you are grounded Perhaps you'll be a little rusty, what, on your return?

re Oz sp3. I originally had AU Blue which covered the east coast of Oz, I was so impressed I bought the DVD Australia SP3 as soon as it came out and I am not disappointed. It's b####y superb. Check out Sydney harbour & no frame hits

As to the airfields - check out the pics below which are beta releases. Note the grass & flowers in the foreground, for better quality check the link below

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=14975.0     Aahhh, slight problem dear boy, just checked the link & it looks like to have to register to view...still not a problem as I expect you would want to view the forum & all the other wonders available in their alladins cave anyway and its FREE. 

Enjoy,

Biggles

Post #5725
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:17:03 PM

Good news and bad news from Team Fenric this week.  The ORBX Austrailia DVD arrived and is now installed w/all freeware airports.  Absolutely amazing scenery.  Smitty was almost rendered speechless.  [grin]  I loaded an earlier approach flight into Coffs Harbour and - oops - the new runway seems to not be where the stock FSX runway was.  Oh dear.  I ran makerwys for FSFS and reflew a short tour hop - YMYB into YHBA, with winds user set to approx what we flew on All Hallow's Eve.

"Let's get down to the glideslope," Smitty sang out.  "We've got only one white lamp; d'ya want'em all red?"  I shot back.  "Reduce throttle," came the response.  B*g*er.

Smitty scored me 101.5 landing / 102.95 flight with an 18 ft spot.  That tops my official tour score of 94.2/102.85/37 ft.  So all's fine on that account.

But...

Sometime over the weekend, my 2 month old rig developed a bad case of the FSX stutters.  From the start, I've flown rock steady locked at 30fps.  Now, not too smooth.  That test flight I just raved about was too jerky to be fun.  Dunno if my GTX 260 has gathered too much dust, or if a gamma ray burst flipped a few bits on the hard drive, but I may stay tour-grounded until I can figure out how to cope.

Carry on, I've got everyone's six....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5761
Posted Friday, November 13, 2009 1:48:33 AM

Fenric (11/12/2009)
Good news and bad news from Team Fenric this week.  The ORBX Austrailia DVD arrived and is now installed w/all freeware airports.  Absolutely amazing scenery.  Smitty was almost rendered speechless.  [grin]  I loaded an earlier approach flight into Coffs Harbour and - oops - the new runway seems to not be where the stock FSX runway was.  Oh dear.  I ran makerwys for FSFS and reflew a short tour hop - YMYB into YHBA, with winds user set to approx what we flew on All Hallow's Eve.

"Let's get down to the glideslope," Smitty sang out.  "We've got only one white lamp; d'ya want'em all red?"  I shot back.  "Reduce throttle," came the response.  B*g*er.

Smitty scored me 101.5 landing / 102.95 flight with an 18 ft spot.  That tops my official tour score of 94.2/102.85/37 ft.  So all's fine on that account.

But...

Sometime over the weekend, my 2 month old rig developed a bad case of the FSX stutters.  From the start, I've flown rock steady locked at 30fps.  Now, not too smooth.  That test flight I just raved about was too jerky to be fun.  Dunno if my GTX 260 has gathered too much dust, or if a gamma ray burst flipped a few bits on the hard drive, but I may stay tour-grounded until I can figure out how to cope.

Carry on, I've got everyone's six....

Hi Fenric

The stutters is not good. Try the 10 cms drop test

Rejoin when you can

Biggles

Post #5763
Posted Friday, November 13, 2009 5:13:39 PM

Thx Biggles, I've a cleaning set for tomorrow, but my stutters are gone for the most part.  (Note to team -- gfx testing is fine, but never leave autogen density on EXTREMELY DENSE.

I see that I can now invest in paper charts, as my lovely new scenery provides proper navigation structures such as...

lighthouses...

and radio towers...

...oh dear, no wonder the AUD is pounding the USD - they've got frickin' floating factories!!

And not to mention lots and lots of watercraft.  I wonder if there's actual ferry service from those docks....

Onward and upward; then downward till we stop.  Then set parking brakes.  Repeat.

--Fenric

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5787
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:27:00 AM

Hey Fenric

Is that "The Beautiful Scenery" you are using?

Biggles

Post #5789
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:16:14 PM

Roger that, Biggles.

LOD of 4.5000 until I eliminate all signs of glitches, etc., so things in the distance are smudgy....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #5799
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««12345»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:20pm