FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««45678»»»

S&S Tour - Team Fenric's Race to the Bottom Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 02, 2010 8:31:14 PM
FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:11:34 AM
Smitty suggested that we take the divebomber approach into H Hasan Aroeboesman, so we strapped up and took off.  Little did I know that he wouldn't allow for such a steep approach - giving me a big fat zero for the glideslope, dadgummit.

Although the land textures and scenery aren't up to Austrailian snuff, a few new add-ons do help make the screenshots brighter and more colorful.

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #6538
Posted Sunday, January 03, 2010 3:08:50 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Via the Eye in the Sky (google) it appears that Team Fenric's next field - Mutara Nebula Airport - should have precision approach runways whereas in FSX, it's a smeary old asphalt surface.  I may break out ADE to dress up the looks of things.  Sure wish we had a file upload area for the tour....

Here's how WATG appeared on approach - honking great welcome mat and all....

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #6546
Posted Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:29:37 PM

Just before high noon local time, Team Fenric hopped over the Komodo Strait, dodging not a single dragon along the way....

Just a short, straight flight today - just a bit of the team's already-stretched-thin resources have been dedicated to sprucing up the area around WADB, with some "as good as can be expected when you're not an artist" results.

We took a g**gle satellite shot of the area and moved a few stock FSX buildings around to better align things visually, and added four parking slots. (That took time, as there are some stubborn trees that insisted on poking up though the tarmac.)

Runway-wise, we changed the blastpads to overruns, and added touchdown zones to give us a better eyeball target for our nonILS files.  70 feet... not sure it was worth it....

The airport BGL and the two nonILS files that we just used are in an attached zip, if anyone would like to give it a whirl with FSX - all disclaimers apply, etc, etc.  (The "SS" in the BLG filename stands for Sweet and Sour, and the "TDZ" in the other filenames are our reference for "touchdown zone.")

-----

"Geronimo"

Post Attachments 
WADB_FENRIC.zip (1 view, 1.60 KB)

Post #6574
Posted Friday, January 08, 2010 2:31:58 AM

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
Hi Fenric

You certainly have been a busy man redesigning your airports of call

My eyes were drawn to the sky and those clouds. Are you using REX or similiar??   If so, any frame hits???

Biggles

Post #6581
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:28:37 PM

'Ello Biggles.

Yes, Rex II (and Shockwave lights) was recently added to the rig.  I'm still playing around with the options, so I'm not sure if any fps hits that I'm seeing are more than what I would see with the stock clouds.  I dallied buying REX because of what seemed to be lots of customer problems with installs and the like, but successfully took the plunge without a hitch, and shan't go back to stock.  Love flying through clouds.

YMMV, of course.  It's not a magic cureall for FSX weather ills, but it's sure purty to look at.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6653
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:39:11 PM

So everyone's heard of Krakatoa, right?  West of Java, despite the awkward 1969 Max Schell movie's title.

Well after a break in flight, Team Fenric restarted at WADB yesterday - in the shadow of one of Krakatoa's almost-as-large neighbors, Gunung Tambora.  So it was with expectation that we plotted our flight to WADS to take us over the 2.5 km tall, 6km wide caldora.

Smitty even offered to spot for enough water inside the stratovolcano for us to land the Stationaire on - conditions permitting, of courst.  (That old rockhound was even able to come up with a rock hammer and sample bag - "I love collecting lava rocks," he said as we were starting our preflight.  "They've never brought me bad luck," he hastily added.

Fine time to be talking about bad luck, I couldn't help to think, looking at the sheared off top to our west.

A full power climb up to 10000 ft and we approached Tambora.  Funny... there's farmland and roads and houses... on the sides... all the way to the top... but certainly there won't be... no....

Yes.... FSX is indicating a fully-functional ecosystem inside the caldera.  More farmland and rodes and houses and trees than you'd care to expect.  Oh look, a condo.  Hearty folks, I expect.  "Condo Volcano...." the words left my lips.

I've never heard Smitty sound so disappointed.  "It's like The Lost World...  but with Starbucks, not dinosaurs."

Oh, did his attitude change from that point onwards....

We turned SW and I started a long 700fpm decent into WADS.  "Runway length, blah blah."  "Surface is something or other."

(What follows can be considered Questions of Functionality for my instructor.)

After configured for landing, what was simply a strong crosswind turned into a momentary gale, knocking us well off the centreline.  I thought about trying to adjust, then decided to opt for a go-around.  I indicated my return to cruise mode, and within a second - as I was reaching for the flaps control, Smitty barked out "You're crusing with flaps down. Let's get them up."  Tick tick tick - Smitty started marking points off.  I got the flaps up, and went to full power, pulling up into a 1000 fpm climb.  "Let's gain some altitude."

"Uh, we're already doing that, you dimwit!" I shot back.

Peeling through 900ft AGL, Smitty repeated himself, "Let's gain some altitude."  I saw more tickmarks in his book - more errors.

"Hullo Smitty, you see that big green thing below us?  It's called the ground.  It's receding from us BECAUSE WE'RE CLIMBING."

(Do pilots get error points for being smart---es??? )

We sat down on the reverse runway a few minutes later.  Smitty dropped off a list of poor scoring and left without bothering to explain.  As I tied down for the night, I heard that he had picked up with several local ladies.  No comment.  Maybe he'll be cheerier our next time out.

Personally, I'm cheered by the notion that our next few landing will be at procedure-capable airports.  Time to brush up on VORDME and ILS practice.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6654
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:59:05 PM

Much better that flight; good glideslope (well the approach lights helped ) but lost some points for not aliging with the centreline - silly me forgot that the VOR was a few degrees off and Smitty needs dead-on when we break 1000 ft.

All in all, getting used to the Stationaire.  Bali-ho!!  We're on our way, Biggles....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6656
Posted Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:06:35 PM

Well it looks like the FSX localizer for WADD (Bali, Intl) is just a wee bit, a few, five degrees counter-clockwise from where it should be.  Might as well use an NDB approach.

Sure glad I cross checked with a planner that isn't FSX-based.  Smitty would have had kittens on approach....

If anyone would like an updated BGL for the airport (just a corrected localizer - no non-ILS files), lemme know and I'll post in the thread.

But with all of this past, it looks like we'll hop the puddle tomorrow.

Hang in there Biggles....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6661
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:59:36 PM

After checking the localizer at WADD against TEitS, I realized that it wasn't supposed to be offset to the runway, so I moved it - literally - to the ocean's edge and straight down the centreline.  If anyone trailing behind would like a FSX copy, pip up.

It looks like I might stick with the Skyhawk for the duration.  A rock strike in the starboard float doesn't make it un-airworthy, but does defeat the purpose of keeping Smitty and me out of the reach of sharks should we drop in unexpectedly.  That, plus the fact that I can't catch a good landing score - or any spot distance - has Smitty scratching his head.

So onwards and westwards we go.  Got a rendezvous to keep with Biggles, plus it looks like we're in for a spot of mountain flying on our next skip.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6684
Posted Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:20:03 AM

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
.Prison Wardens asleep/drunk, got library to myself.

Rice & beans for dinner. Great!

Keep dodging the hills.

Remember look for the pink bandana

Prisoner Biggles

Post #6697
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««45678»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:22am