What to do when FSFS presents incorrect aircraft data?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««123»»

What to do when FSFS presents incorrect... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:56:00 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Well Stan. If you read the post I linked you to, then it seems that this particular plane is considered "unsuitable for FSFS" The plane developers choose many different ways to program their planes, and it seems that we have here, a plane that conclicts completly with FSFS.
If corrections was to be made for this one plane, then maybe this would make too many problems for all the working planes.

If the developers could have made it work, Im quite sure that they would have, long ago. Im sorry, but I think thats the sad truth for you.

But Stan. All the other planes work fine. and we are a couple of guys who fly a little friendly competitive flying (see the FSFS competition section) Was that not a thing for you to join in on? Its great and cool, and very friendly.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #5223
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:40:26 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Thanks Ole

I must say that this is very disappointing since my Baron is one of my favorites, and is actually a very popular twin.  How does one get a reaction from the designers of FSFS, or are they locked away in an inaccesible location somewhere?  I'd really like to get a definitive answer from one of their crew.

Anyhow thanks for your efforts which are really appreciated.

Happy flying

Stan

Post #5224
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:29:07 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

stanshear (10/7/2009)
Thanks Ole

I must say that this is very disappointing since my Baron is one of my favorites, and is actually a very popular twin. How does one get a reaction from the designers of FSFS, or are they locked away in an inaccesible location somewhere? I'd really like to get a definitive answer from one of their crew.

Anyhow thanks for your efforts which are really appreciated.

Happy flying

Stan

Stan. The Squadron Leader have put two posts in this one thread, so there is your designer. His last post was today actually. SL clearly states. "We are looking at ways to accommodate all eventualities" and later he urges you to try something, so no he is not locked up anywhere. He is actively posting answers on every question all the time.

But Stan, I can understand your disappointment, but as i said, in the complex world of Flight Simulator, where so many different companies find each their way to make the best of what they sell, you are bound to find incompatibilities here and there, everything else would be a genuine miracle. Of course its annoying to be the one that hits the one incompatible plane, but thats just bad luck. Im sorry but thats it. And as I said, Im quite sure that if a fix was possible, they would have made it.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #5225
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:40:57 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Hi Ole

Yup, I understand the problems.  You can't cater for everything.  I can still fly the Baron and get most of the useful instructor comments, but, as I said, its a pity that something doesn't click with my favorite Baron.  You've been very helpful through all this, so thanks for that.  What I DID do was to send an email through the home page of FSFS expressing the problem, and asking them if they could get me a a comment from their design team, so lets leave it at that, and if I get anything useful back, I'll let you know.

By the way, just as a matter of interest, are you just a nice guy who has taken responsibility for the forums or are you part of the FSFS group?  As far as I'm concerned, you certainly satisfy the first category, but I was just wondering what your involvement is with all this as you seem to devote a lot of precious time to helping folks like me.

Regards

Stan

Post #5226
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:27:44 PM

stanshear (10/7/2009)
Hi Ole

Yup, I understand the problems. You can't cater for everything. I can still fly the Baron and get most of the useful instructor comments, but, as I said, its a pity that something doesn't click with my favorite Baron. You've been very helpful through all this, so thanks for that. What I DID do was to send an email through the home page of FSFS expressing the problem, and asking them if they could get me a a comment from their design team, so lets leave it at that, and if I get anything useful back, I'll let you know.

By the way, just as a matter of interest, are you just a nice guy who has taken responsibility for the forums or are you part of the FSFS group? As far as I'm concerned, you certainly satisfy the first category, but I was just wondering what your involvement is with all this as you seem to devote a lot of precious time to helping folks like me.

Regards

Stan

Hi Stan.

Thank you for the kind words to me. Always heartwarming when people appreciate the efforts I make.

I am not, in any way, connected to the FSFS crew. I stumbled over FSFS 18 months ago, and fell in love. The program has done so incredibly much for my flying skills, and has made me friends in different parts of the world.

And from day one, I took to the friendly forum. I kept bombing the FSFS crew with questions and suggestions, and ended up a beta tester, and forum moderator. Now I simply cannot help looking in here all the time, and try to get others to like the program as much as I do myself. FSFS deserves it.

And now "the guys" (other forum members) and I, do all these friendly competitions, and are always looking out for others to join in, so please consider it.

So Stan, yes Im just a "nice guy" as you so kindly state, (blushing) who spends a lot of my precious time in here. I find it really rewarding - its as simple as that.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #5227
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:58:22 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

Hi Ole

I don't want to harp on this subject, but just have to respond to your last post - remembering that its public - so this is really a message to all our forum members.  What I wanted to say is that I have made so many friends and contacts via our mutual hobby that it is clear that we are a special group of people with a close bond to a common purpose - and that is to enjoy ourselves with a wonderful hobby and to share our knowledge, success and failures in it without any fear of criticism.

FS has done a lot for me.  I actually started with the original Apple version way back when, and continued throught FS2K, FS2002 and now FS9.  (My computer won't handle FSX).  It has taught me the theory and practice of flying aeroplanes, and has improved my geography knowledge.  My wife and I are 5 year immigrants to Canada from South Africa, and it is directly attributable to Holgar Sandmann's wonderful Alaskan scenery that prompted us to take an Alaskan cruise.  Also the great Canadian Rockies scenery and flights - I'm not going to mention all the wonderful contributors, but everybody who has flown these areas knows them - have prompted us to plan to tour the Rockies sometime.  I am also able to indulge my South African nostalgia by flying the excellent SA scenery designed by Aeroworx - and so the list goes on.

I think flightsimming is a really great educational experience for the younger generation, who waste so much time playing endless games of death and destruction with no tangible benefits except to improve their hand/eye coordination - which is not a bad thing, but in my opinion can be better spent.

So to all our fellow simmers I say, lets continue to improve our skills and knowledge in an effort to make this world just a little more meaningful to everybody.

Stan

Post #5228
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:40:57 PM

Amen!

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #5229
Posted Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:24:55 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Stan:

We received your email, thanks.

I'd like to keep the discussion here on the forum as that way everyone can benefit from the information.

I appreciate that you wrote directly to FSFS to get answers. As you'll have heard from Ole, I am one of the two developers and check the forum almost every day, including public and personal holidays.

If you would like to post any sections from your email here please do so - I have not done so as it was written privately to FSFS.

As Ole explained, we have recognised that the spoiler data is a problem with this aircraft. Have you tried my suggested experiment with the cowl flaps?

Also - please copy and paste the contents of the original FSR file for the plane and also the contents of any FSU file you have created for the plane into a reply to this post so I can examine the data involved, and look at the flaps problem.

As I believe I wrote to another sim-pilot, you can get rid of the spoiler message by deleting the wav file for that instructor, but you'll still lose points.

Ah - I just found this on the forum:

"I guess you could delete (or rename) the file "RetractSpoilers.wav", but that would lose it for all planes of course, and you will still lose a few points (believe me - not many) for having "spoilers deployed" at the wrong time."

See also this post which discusses this issue with a different airplane.

http://www.fsflyingschool.com/forum/FindPost5081.aspx

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #5230
Posted Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:38:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Stan:

Liked your comments about FS in general.

I would love to see more young folks flying flight sims - a great way to have fun learning a whole host of subjects: math, physics, geography, meteorology, astronomy, etc

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #5231
Posted Thursday, October 08, 2009 7:49:51 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

Hi Squadron Leader

Yup I certainly agree that we should share out observations.  I didn't realize that you were a developer and wrote direct to FSFS - thanks for the speedy reply.

Closing the cowl flaps DID resolve the spoiler problem, and my user-defined data has solved the flaps problem.  I went to the AIRCRAFT floder and found that you DON'T have a Dreamfleet Baron 85 but just the LITE version, so now I'm confused.  I have pasted my fsu details below.  (The file attachment problem is still there and my computer freezes when I try and attach a file)  BUT you'll notice it's the same as the fsr version that was detected, although I changed the numbers, and when I connect, my user data is recognized.  I don't understand this.  I can let you have my numbers but will have to go into FS and connect to do so, and unfortunately am rushed for time right now.

Just one more small problem, while I am communicating with you: When I descend during cruise, for whatever reason, or start descending about 35 nm out for an approach, FSFS thinks I'm going to land and immediately instructs me to lower gear and flaps, which is innapropriate at that stage.  I ignore this and continue flying, but FSFS constantly reminds me, and of course I lose points.  How do I handle this situation?

USER-DEFINE BARON 85 (DreamFleet Baron 58 RXP.fsu)

[flaps.0]
flaps-position.1=15
flaps-position.2=30
flaps-position.3=0
flaps-position.4=0
flaps-position.5=0
flaps-position.6=0
flaps-position.7=0
flaps-position.8=0
flaps-position.9=0

[reference speeds]
IASTooFastForFlaps0=152