Do27 D-EMKA

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Do27 D-EMKA Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:15:17 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
Evening all,

Been checking out the Do27 (still my favourite) with Mitch. Now he keeps shouting at me "Lets retract thise spoilers"

Now as far as I know the Do27 has no spoilers.  I checked the fsu file and there is a big fat 0 against spoilers ie there are none !?

Any thoughts!  I simply can't have Mitch shouting about spoilers all the way to Singapore, or Singers as we love to call it

Biggles

or am i back in the dunces corner--again!

Post #5073
Posted Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:17:57 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31:09 AM
If you click on the Aircraft Picture, you can deselect the spoilers i believe?

Joe Mini

President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC. 
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"  

Post #5076
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009 1:34:55 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM

Guys:

Firstly, Joe - thanks for helping.

Now then - as to the spoilers...

In the case of spoilers we've ended up with a hybrid detection algorithm (HDA) inside FSFS.

In most cases, FSFS can just look at the data it is receiving from FS and 'know' whether the plane has, for example, flaps or what its weight is, or if it is a jet or a prop, etc. We do not need this information to be at the aircraft page - it can all be detected internally and reliably.

But... spoilers are not part of this happy little world.

Sometimes we can detect them automatically and sometimes not.

So we deployed the hybrid detection algorithm (HDA) in that we read the FS data and also allow the user to specify that spoilers exist by turning on the checkbox at the aircraft page.

But - this can get into a bit of a logical tangle.

If the checkbox at the aircraft page is checked (on), this indicates that the aircraft has spoilers. But if it is not checked (off) then FSFS will still read the FS data to attempt to do it automatically "for your convenience" as they say.

Well this is all fine and dandy except that one or two planes, for reasons best known to... I've no idea who... send data to FSFS indicating that spoilers are present, even when they are not.

I recall one case where this was in some way, possibly, connected to cowl flaps.

The trouble is this - if FSFS has decided that FS is telling it the plane has spoilers, then as far as FSFS is concerned, the plane has spoilers, regardless of what is shown at the aircraft page.

This is something we are looking at - basically we need a way for the user to override what FSFS has detected, at least in the troublesome case of spoilers, and insist "No! It does not have any darned spoilers!"

The data in the FSU or FSR file is just the permanent record of what is showing at the aircraft page.

Sadly, for the moment, there is no way to force the instructor to stop talking about spoilers.

I guess you could delete (or rename) the file "RetractSpoilers.wav", but that would lose it for all planes of course, and you will still lose a few points (believe me - not many) for having "spoilers deployed" at the wrong time.

I must emphasise that this has been noted on only one or two (as I recall) planes in the almost 3 years since the release of the original FSFS in 2006.

Hope that helps!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #5081
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009 6:23:58 AM

JoeMini (9/17/2009)
If you click on the Aircraft Picture, you can deselect the spoilers i believe?

Nice one Joe,

Any suggestion as to which part of the Aircraft Picture I should click?

Biggles

Post #5085
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009 6:28:24 AM

Thanks for that S/L

I shall look into it further when I have more time but on initial investigation it seems if I recycle the "cowl flap lever" on the Do27 Mitch is happy

I need to confirm this with more testing. I'll report back later

Biggles

Post #5086
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009 6:42:55 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hmmm... very interesting...

Perhaps we can indeed establish a potential cowl flap / spoiler equivalence, at least insofar as the data coming into FSFS is concerned.

Please let us know what you find in test flights.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #5087
Posted Friday, September 18, 2009 10:13:45 AM

To Cowl or not to Cowl, that is the question.

Do27 - engines running

Mitch gargling with whisky

The second you open the engine cowling (even by a few degrees) Mitch starts shouting to retract them.

Try this as Mitch is about to take another swig and he gets very cross!

So there is a definate link between having the cowl open and "spoilers"

Connect to fsfs with engine cowl closed  Mitch happy

Connect to fsfs with engine cowl open  Mitch very unhappy

So as long as you fly with the cowl closed you will get no penalties, except that in Oz this may not be a good idea as the engine will be cooked - especially on the Do27

Hope this helps

Biggles

Post #5094
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:24pm