FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««56789»»

FSFlyingSchool World Wide Tour (WWT) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 15, 2008 1:05:33 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Leg 9: CYHZ (Halifax) to CYYT (St. John´s New Foundland)

Boy the Visibility at takeoff was horrible. I started with 30% fuel and ended with 9% and the very light plane, sped a little too quickly up at takeoff, costing me a "You are flying too fast, slow down) , but apart from that it was a sunday drive. Strong winds up there, but mostly from the rear, and good visibility. But coming down towards St.John´s it all fogged up again, but the GPS led me to the runway. I steeped to much descending, but as Steven Wright said "you cannot have it all - where would you put it?"

Away we go! Cannot see the end of the runway                                                                             - or the start, when looking back.

At 1.500  feet, the airport dissapeared completly - scary!

A lot of water to cross over at 20.000 feet                                                                                                                    But it was clear and bright as daylight - well, erhm.. it was daylight!                            

The descent was in the blind. At 1.500 feet, I coulden´t see a bats nostril                                                    Had to go below 900 feet before the runway showed itself!

I tried the "Ladies and Gentlemen we are about to land.... "                                                              - but Mr.Smith gets so pi.... off when I refer to him as lady!

Coming in for the kill.                                                                                                                        That´s me right there in the window. Look at me tap-dancing as we hit the centerline.

And the verdict?

Ole Andreasen piloting Learjet 45 ended 15. september 2008 at 10:57
FSFlyingSchool  (Sun 29 June 2008)
Using: FSX
Visibility: 5,00 Miles     Wind: 13 Knots

Aircraft: BOMBARDIER ID: JA-068X Airline: Flight:
Flight plan: CYHZ TO CYYT NAV1: IYT
Failure(s): None at landing
Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None
Flight Duration:01 Hours 20 Mins 28 Secs

Landing Score:111,00 (Thank you Mr.Smith)

Landing was successful in the following areas:

• Good glideslope on ILS approach.
  • Good alignment with runway on ILS approach.
  • Gentle touchdown.
  • Good landing speed - not too fast.
  • Wings were level.
  • Glideslope held until flare.
  • Good pitch control after touchdown.
  • Good pitch at landing.
  • With flaps - good job.
  • With spoilers armed.
  • Heading aligned with runway.
  • Throttle(s) idle.
  • Good controlled final descent to touchdown.
  • Good steering after landing.
  • Nicely handled crosswind.

A splendid landing! (That´s two in a row)

Flight Score:110,92 Should have been better but ok. two 3-digit scores i one flight.

Flight commended in the following areas:

• Smooth turns.
  • Nice banking.
  • Gear deployment at safe speed.
  • Comfortable G forces.
  • Smooth pitch control.
  • Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.
  • Gentle taxi turns.
  • Good take off steering.
  • Rotation was not late.
  • Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.
  • Safe taxi speed.
  • Smooth braking during taxi.
  • Smooth climb during takeoff.
  • Wings level near ground.
  • Well coordinated turns.
  • No stalls.
  • No flying dangerously close to stall speed.
  • Pitch not too high.
  • Flaps down on time.
  • Approach speed not too fast.
  • Low altitude speeds not too fast.
  • Good clearance of obstacles.

Flight included the following problems:

• Exceeding flap speeds - your flaps may be damaged: have them checked.
  • Rapid descent - dangerous and uncomfortable.
  • Nose held too low - we're not in combat.

Definite room for improvement...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2227
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:02:29 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31:09 AM
Rut ro!  Astro!  Looks like Mr Ole is posting some triple digit numbers now, and my "zero's" may come back to haunt me?  Cool pic's Ole.

Joe Mini

President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC. 
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"  

Post #2228
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:08:27 AM

Leg 10: CYYT (St. John´s) to CYLU (Kangiqsualujjuaq - Georges River) Both in Newfoundland

A very difficult flight. A very long flight, and with extremly changing winds. Windspeeds up to 73 knots, and changing in an instant to 12 knots. Making all my trimming useless, and at one point pushing my plane from 290 KIAS to 328 KIAS, giving me a "you are flying too fast, slow down - Darn) Visibility was great though most of the time. But my Whiskey compass broke in flight - oh ooh! But better the Whiskey compass than the Whiskey!

Time to get going. Checklists complete. Lets push me back, shall we?                                                        Taxiing to the runway!

Cleared for takeoff.                                                                                                                             And away we fly.

The long stretch. Just hanging there - at 450 miles of groundspeed.                                                              Ah I can see the bay I was looking for - Right on the path.

The airport should be about here, now Mr.Smith - can you see it? Runway 34!                                                 Ah there it is, Line up with the runway.

Touchdown. Not bad - not bad at all.                                                                                                     Now where is the restaurant? where is the toilet? - where is.... anything???

Ole Andreasen piloting Learjet 45 ended 16. september 2008 at 13:56
FSFlyingSchool  (Sun 29 June 2008)
Using: FSX
Visibility: 62,14 Miles     Wind: 0 Knots

Aircraft: BOMBARDIER ID: JA-068X Airline: Flight:
Flight plan: CYYT TO CYLU NAV1:
Failure(s):
Whiskey Compass inop for 2314 secs, still inop

Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time):
Failure: Z17:04:49 Whiskey Compass

Flight Duration:02 Hours 19 Mins 07 Secs

Landing Score:50,38 (Landing was better than the score)

Landing was successful in the following aeas:

• Good glideslope on visual approach.
  • Good alignment with runway on visual approach.
  • Gentle touchdown.
  • Good landing speed - not too fast.
  • Wings were level.
  • Distance from runway numbers (visual approach): 321 feet
  • Glideslope held until flare.
  • Good pitch control after touchdown.
  • Good pitch at landing.
  • With flaps - good job.
  • With spoilers armed.
  • Heading aligned with runway.
  • Throttle(s) idle.
  • Good controlled final descent to touchdown.
  • Good steering after landing.

A splendid landing! (STRRRRIIIIKE THREEEEEE)

Flight Score:122,44 (High score for me!)

Flight commended in the following areas:

• Smooth turns.
  • Nice banking.
  • Correct matching of flaps to speeds.
  • Gear deployment at safe speed.
  • Smooth pitch control.
  • Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.
  • Gentle taxi turns.
  • Good take off steering.
  • Rotation was not late.
  • Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.
  • Safe taxi speed.
  • Smooth braking during taxi.
  • Smooth climb during takeoff.
  • Wings level near ground.
  • Well coordinated turns.
  • No stalls.
  • No flying dangerously close to stall speed.
  • Smooth comfortable descent rate.
  • Pitch not too high.
  • Pitch not too low.
  • Flaps down on time.
  • Approach speed not too fast.
  • Low altitude speeds not too fast.
  • Good clearance of obstacles.

Flight included the following problems:

• Sickening G forces - your passengers feel rather unwell.

Definite room for improvement...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2230
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:22:56 AM

See that rock over yonder?  It has a deep hole in it...by all means relieve yourself, but watch out for the yellow-red leaf plants.  May cause rash? 

I think your next couple stops will be the same way, although I messed up my landing at this place with the CRJ-700 as I recall.

[Edit - this was the part of my Canada/Greenland leg I messed up a bunch of times with non-ILS landings and pilot errors...I trust you'll do much better Ole!]

Joe Mini

Post #2232
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:19:30 AM

JoeMini (9/16/2008)
See that rock over yonder?  It has a deep hole in it...by all means relieve yourself, but watch out for the yellow-red leaf plants.  May cause rash? 

I think your next couple stops will be the same way, although I messed up my landing at this place with the CRJ-700 as I recall.

[Edit - this was the part of my Canada/Greenland leg I messed up a bunch of times with non-ILS landings and pilot errors...I trust you'll do much better Ole!]

Hi there Joe. Well the flight went okay, but I didn´t get the credit for landing, that I was hoping for, darn NON-ILS landings.

BTW Joe: you have flown those Canada-Greenland-Iceland-Faero Island legs. You must have made a bunch of NON-ILS runwayfiles. Could I get you to mail those to me, saves me the effort of doing it myself.

I look forward to getting over to Greenland. I have planned some extra stops here. In Sisimiut (BGSS), and Kangerlussuaq (BGSF) as I have been there in real life, so I gotta go there. And then an extra stop in Kulusuk (BGKK) to shorten the flight to Iceland... so If you have some files for some of those as well.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2233
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:45:44 AM

oleandreasen (9/16/2008)
JoeMini (9/16/2008)

Hi there Joe. Well the flight went okay, but I didn´t get the credit for landing, that I was hoping for, darn NON-ILS landings.

BTW Joe: you have flown those Canada-Greenland-Iceland-Faero Island legs. You must have made a bunch of NON-ILS runwayfiles. Could I get you to mail those to me, saves me the effort of doing it myself.

I look forward to getting over to Greenland. I have planned some extra stops here. In Sisimiut (BGSS), and Kangerlussuaq (BGSF) as I have been there in real life, so I gotta go there. And then an extra stop in Kulusuk (BGKK) to shorten the flight to Iceland... so If you have some files for some of those as well.

I will do my best for you on the non-ILS files.  I did have one incorrect because of a goof up on my part, "fat fingered" it, but I edited and fixed it...now I just have to remember which one it was...but I'll get there.  Hopefully you haven't already flown it.

One Iceland and Faroe, I landed on ILS runways, and so far I haven't made any for Europe.  I'm presently in Budapest heading over to Bucharest, Romania if memory serves me correct. It was late last night...

[edit] - something else also tells me that there was something wrong with FSX and the runway headings....Don't hold me to this, but I made the non-ils file, but FSX said a different runway than what i made in non-ils file...but let me check it out for you...

Joe Mini

Post #2240
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:02:52 PM

Thank you Joe. I look forward to NOT having to make the files myself - I am a lazy dude!

I notised the strange runway headings in Canada and Greenland, but I think it must be due to the Magnetic Northpole somewhere in Canada, that bucks it up. Problem is, should you go for the mag. heading or the true heading when making the NON-ILS files?

SL: You must know that. I have one file where FSX say "heading 71" but the runway number is "3" (and 21 - the other way of course)
So when we make the NON-ILS file, do we write 3,71 to begin with? (runwaynumber and heading?)

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #2242
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:12:19 PM

oleandreasen (9/16/2008)
Thank you Joe. I look forward to NOT having to make the files myself - I am a lazy dude!

I notised the strange runway headings in Canada and Greenland, but I think it must be due to the Magnetic Northpole somewhere in Canada, that bucks it up. Problem is, should you go for the mag. heading or the true heading when making the NON-ILS files?

SL: You must know that. I have one file where FSX say "heading 71" but the runway number is "3" (and 21 - the other way of course)
So when we make the NON-ILS file, do we write 3,71 to begin with? (runwaynumber and heading?)

I'm at work right now, but that seems to be the problem I was having as I recall.  I think that's why I bunged up a few non-ILS landings as well.  That seems right with one runway as I recall, I was flying one heading I thought was right...got confused which led to a flurry of forums of me being a dummy and non-ILS stuff.   You are probably correct with mag. heading and true....I was all messed up and flustered there for a while up at the north pole area!!!

[edit] - i'm a little hestitant on the files I did because of the above matter...but I'll still send them anyway!

Joe Mini

Post #2244
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:36:45 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, May 16, 2024 3:40:27 AM
It's late - but unless I am asleep - the headings used should always be magnetic.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #2246
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:06:38 PM

But I thought that the runway numbers always followed the heading - ai the magnetic heading. but it seems like the runway numbers in Canada goes on true north, and the heading then, is the mag. Confusing!

But can you confirm that my example above is correct? Runway 3, but heading 71 as a NON-ILS file is 3,71,bla bla (all the long/lat)
Airport in question is CYVM (Qikiqtarjuaq) Is the runway number in the NON-ILS file of importance? or is it just for reference - as long as the heading and lat/long are correct?

I have attached the runwayfile, as I made it. I flew it last night, and landed without many problems (Poor glideslope on visual approach - you can do better) but I got a big fat Zero for the landing. So have I made the file wrong?

Thank you as always SL, for all your patience and help.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post Attachments 
3,71,N67_32_47,W64_2_40,3,QIKIQTARJUAG.rar (0 views, 103 bytes)

Post #2248
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««56789»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:35am