Graphics messed up since installing FS2010 upgrade and Voice Pak.

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Graphics messed up since installing FS2010... Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, April 07, 2012 5:38:37 PM
Since installing the 2010 upgrade from 2009 and then also the voice pak I am getting a weird graphic pattern while sitting on the runway ready for take-off. No flickering or any thing just a view that looks like I'm looking through some mirror'd venetian blinds. Did a system reboot with the same trouble.

I don't think the voice pak is working yet either as it's not recognizing my "Ready for take-off" command. I do see in the credits section that it does state "Enabled Detail PaksV: VOICE PAK"

Also, where are all of the voice commands listed? I looked through the manual but didn't see anything listed there.

Thanks,
Mitch

Windows7 & XP-Hm, 4GB RAM, 3.33GHz Int.Duo E8600 Proc.,GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB, 2-Acer 22" Monitors, Saitek Yoke, CH Pedals

Was born on the North Coast where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll!
Post #7462
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010 4:45:10 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hi

We suspect that the problem may be related to the Windows "Listening..." indicator which is an aspect of Windows Speech Recognition.

Obviously, you need Speech Recognition to be able to use the Voice Command Pack for FSFS, but are having a problem with graphics, due, we suspect, to the indicator; (this is displayed by Windows and not by us.)

This is not a general problem being experienced by our users. Indeed this is the first such report.

Let's see what we can figure out...

Is it correct to say that Windows Speech Recognition was not active on your PC until you installed the latest FSFS2010?

You mentioned that your command was not being recognised. Have you done the Windows Speech Recognition training described in the Voice Command Pack manual?

Finally - the Voice Command Pack commands are listed and described in detail in the Voice Command Pack manual, which is a PDF file installed on your PC when FSFS2010 is installed.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #7469
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010 4:30:20 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Hello and thanks for responding.

"Is it correct to say that Windows Speech Recognition was not active on your PC until you installed the latest FSFS2010?"

This is correct. I activated the Speech Recognition after the install of 2010.

"You mentioned that your command was not being recognised. Have you done the Windows Speech Recognition training described in the Voice Command Pack manual?"

I don't seem to be able to find the Voice Command Pack manual. I've quickly (very quickly) read through the FS2010 manual but did not see anything about the voice pak. (46 pages.) I did go through many pages of the tutorial included in Windows 7 which includes much voice recognition scenarios. I guess I assumed it was part of the voice training.

"Finally - the Voice Command Pack commands are listed and described in detail in the Voice Command Pack manual, which is a PDF file installed on your PC when FSFS2010 is installed."

I just found the Voice Command Pack manual. I was looking from within the program and found it via Start, Programs, etc..

A few minutes ago I opened the FSX without opening the FS2010 and it looked good. I realized I wasn't getting any engine noise so I decided to pull the headphone jack and guess what? Mirror'd Venetian blinds. When I plugged the cable back in it went back to normal. Also, I noticed when I ran my mouse over some of the icons at the bottom of my desktop it did the same thing. (Firefox & FSX icons) Each time it returned back to normal when pulling the mouse away.

Mitch

Was born on the North Coast where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll!
Post #7481
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:42:48 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Mitch!

The plot thickens...

...but we are making progress.

From your reports, you have established that the Venetian Blinds effect (horizontal strips across the screen) is related to the headphone and mouse devices being moved or unplugged, but notably without FSFlyingSchool running.

As this was not a problem before, the problem is almost certainly related to a conflict between Windows Voice Recognition and the FSX display. If this cannot be resolved then we'll need to revert back to having no Windows Voice Recognition, but let's see what we can do.

(Note that while FSFS2010 Voice Command Pack uses Windows Voice Recognition, Windows Voice Recognition is part of Windows, not FSFS2010.)

So... more questions:

1. If unplugging your headset affected the issue, then I conclude it must be USB?

2. At the time you installed FSFS2010 Voice Command Pack, did you also install or use any new hardware for the first time, such as that headset...?

3. Does the headset have a microphone?

4. What happens when you switch FSX to full screen mode? (  Just press     ALT  Enter    )

5. With FSX running in full screen mode, does the Venetian Blinds effect (horizontal strips across the screen) return?

Please let us know how you get on.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #7486
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:50:44 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

OK, I tried a few things.
I started up FSX with Voice Rec. and FSSchool2010 turned off. Same results.
I unplugged my headset and mic and rebooted. Same results. When I put the mouse over the icons on the bottom bar, V blinds show up.
When everything was turned on (Voice Rec.. Mic/Headset, FSSchool2010) and starting in FSX, the V blinds were up without having to put the mouse over the icons etc..

From your reports, you have established that the Venetian Blinds effect (horizontal strips across the screen) is related to the headphone and mouse devices being moved or unplugged, but notably without FSFlyingSchool running. [Sad]

Correct.

1. If unplugging your headset affected the issue, then I conclude it must be USB?

Not sure what you mean here. The headset is a normal headphone small jack. Not a USB plug.

2. At the time you installed FSFS2010 Voice Command Pack, did you also install or use any new hardware for the first time, such as that headset...?

I did not install any additional hardware but the headset may not have been plugged in previously on my newer operating system of Windows7. I have used it quite a bit on my old Windows XP though.

3. Does the headset have a microphone?

That is correct. It's a Logitech with noise cancellation.

4. What happens when you switch FSX to full screen mode? ( Just press ALT Enter )

I haven't tried this yet but hopefully will have time when I get back from a graduation party we're going to tonight. I'll try posting before your response.

5. With FSX running in full screen mode, does the Venetian Blinds effect (horizontal strips across the screen) return?

As stated above, I'll try it and respond hopefully tonight.

I used to use this headset with a program on my XP called Enigma Rising Tide which used voice recognition and it was fantastic. It added a huge amount of realism to the game.

Thanks so much for you help, I appreciate it.
Mitch

Post #7493
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:34:04 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

In full screen mode the Venetian blinds disappear. I ran a complete flight without it returning. If I would attempt to go out of full screen mode it would return right away.

I have run through about 20 minutes of voice training in the Speech Recognition program. Unfortunately, I still do not get a response yet. The Windows microphone window at the top of the screen keeps saying "What was that?".

Mitch

Post #7495
Posted Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:57:13 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

So - assembling all the facts (hopefully correctly)...

Once Windows Speech Recognition (call it WSR) was turned ON in Win 7 on that PC, the Venetian Blinds (VB) appeared in FSX in Windowed mode.

Running FSX in full screen mode is a workaround (a solution).

WSR is not recognizing your voice in Win 7, but was in XP.

As for FSFlyingSchool (FSFS) - there are no indications of any problems involving it, but of course you can't use the Voice Command Pack (VCP) unless WSR is working in Win 7.

There is no reason to imagine that WSR cannot be trained and adjusted to a point where it works fine and at that point you will be able to use FSFS with the VCP.

So finally - is all comes down to getting WSR working on your Win 7 PC.

Here are some of the tips in the FSFS VCP manual - please try them and let us know how you get on:

Windows Speech Recognition

In order to use the Voice Command Pack it is essential to understand that the speech technology

itself is driven by Windows and can be set up and tested completely independent of FSFlyingSchool.

Indeed - this is precisely the way Windows Speech Recognition needs to be installed, configured and

tested - all before the Voice Command Pack can be expected to function.

FSFS-Tip If your PC is Vista or Windows 7 you already have Windows Speech Recognition installed

- you do not need to download and install it.

However – you do need to configure it and train it.

Microphone Configuration

Once you are certain you have Windows speech recognition on your PC you must configure your

microphone for optimum speech recognition.

In the Windows Control Panel, open the Speech icon. In the Microphone section you can adjust its

configuration and most importantly change its input volume to a suitable level.

Speech Recognition Profiles

With speech recognition installed and your microphone configured for it, you are ready to create a

speech recognition profile. If you already have one you are happy with, which recognizes almost

everything you say, then you have nothing more to do.

If you do not, then you need to create a new speech recognition profile.

You can do this at the Recognition Profiles section located by opening the Windows Control

Panel Speech icon.

The key thing you will do, either by using its 'new user wizard' (which guides you through the process),

or by hand, is train the profile to understand your voice.

You can spend as long as you like with this, but we recommend that you do at least 10 minutes speech

recognition training to get the most out of Windows Speech Recognition.

Make certain that Windows Speech Recognition training recognizes almost everything you say before

trying the FSFS2010 Voice Command Pack.

Potential issues with Speech Recognition

- Background noise

It is obvious that the quieter your background is, the better chance your PC has to understand what is

being said to it.

- Microphone position

Be sure to position your microphone with the help of the Windows speech software. It should not be

picking up excessive noise from your breathing or 'pop' and 'hiss' from your speech. A little off to the

side of your mouth is the usual position.

- Microphone volume

This must be set correctly using the Windows speech software. It may need to be considerably different

to where it was set before you used Windows Speech Recognition.

- Microphone quality

The better the microphone the better the results. However, we get very satisfactory results with very

inexpensive microphone/headsets.

- Insufficient training for the Speech Recognition Profile

The is a hugely important area. If you have a broad accent or 'unique' speech, you may need to spend

rather more time on this. Every little helps.

- Feedback from PC speakers

If your PC speakers are on, these are creating background noise. If speech recognition is suffering, turn

them down or turn them off.

- Feedback from headset speakers

If on, these may be creating background noise. If speech recognition is suffering, turn them down and

make sure that they are covering your ears so that the least amount of sound escapes from them into

the microphone.

- Command recognition failure and false command recognition

Triggered by imprecise speech or background noise. Remember that the volume of ATC, lessons,

engines, environment, etc can be controlled individually in Flight Simulator. Try fine-tuning the volume

levels so that they do not interfere with speech recognition.

You may also wish to select the mode at the Settings Screen of FSFlyingSchool which allows you to

control speech input with the FSFS Mic Key (a special key which turns the microphone on and off) in

order to reduce unwanted speech input.

Post #7501
Posted Wednesday, June 09, 2010 4:31:18 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Slight misinterpretation about Windows 7.

The WSR does work in Windows 7 but is not recognizing what is being said when I am using FSFlyingSchool2010.

I went through about 20 minutes of training and it recognized everything almost perfectly. From my desktop I can open programs etc. without the mouse. However, when I'm in the cockpit, engines running, FSFS2010 connected, I get the "What was that?" for everything I say.

I'm going to play around with it some more tonight and post if I have any success or additional information to add.

Mitch

Post #7515
Posted Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:49:28 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Latest:

I tried several things with little success.

A) I did notice the Venetian Blinds look did not come up every time but still no voice recognition.
B) I downloaded a voice activation command program but seem to be having the same issue. Here's a link on their forum where someone seemed to be having the same issue with FSX not recognizing issued commands. http://www.dwvac.com/vac_phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=172 I tried turning off the UAC but it had no effect. When testing the DWVAC program in the profile builder it recognized my voice fine until FSX is on.
C) Using WSR (Windows Speech Rec.) it recognizes my voice fine outside of FSX. When in FSX it gets stupid.

Mitch

Post #7516
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 12:57:21 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
I've been following the posts.  Maybe this is a dumb question and I'm missing something, but do you activate voice recognition from Windows and THEN go into FSFS?  When I installed the voice pack, I thought I had to first activate the voice recognition software from Windows and then go into FSFS.  If you do this, it will screw everything up.  FSFS works directly into the voice recognition software so DON'T activate it from Windows first.

Stan

Post #7534
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:58pm