FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Err 75, Path/File Access, WriteINIFile Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:10:28 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:38:27 AM
Just purchased FS School. I receive the above error when it runs. All seems to work until I actually start the takeoff roll. It tells me it is connecting and makes comments when I select a control.
When flying, nothing. I end flight and receive the err 75.
I have Win 8.1 and FSX Gold. I run FS School as Administrator.

I had a problem with FS Instant approach with the 'ASConnect' error. I turned off the 'User Account Control', Opened port 19284(I think that was the port), took ownership of the
Program files(86) folder.made sure my firewall(McAfee) was set to 'use designated ports' for both incoming and outgoing for the Instant approach app and it worked.

I don't know if the ports apply to 'School' but I did it anyway. Sound as it wants to create/write to the WriteINIfile and can't find it or access is denied. Where is the WriteINIFile supposed to created? I say created because I can't find it.

This is my first post here so if I didn't do it correctly have mercy on an old soldier. Accent on 'old'

I read this and realized that 'ASConnect has nothing to do with Instant Approach. A senior moment!
Post #12207
Posted Thursday, August 06, 2015 1:18:46 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi MajGen:

Thanks for your interest in FSFS!

The problem is certainly being caused by FSFS's inability to write a file it needs to write during its normal operations. Once such an error occurs - the instructor stops talking and the program will terminate.

The most common reason for this is the permission given by Windows. We make it clear that FSFS must be run as an administrator, but sadly there are a few ways this can be interpreted and the way it needs to be done is the way it is described in the FSFS manual, which is:

"FSFlyingSchool should always be run 'as an administrator'.
You should do this even if you are the only person who uses the PC and even if you are an administrator.
To do this, right click on the FSFlyingSchool icon, shortcut or menu item you use to launch FSFlyingSchool, select
'Properties' from the menu, select the 'Compatibility' tab, and turn ON 'Run this program as an administrator'."

To be fair - this is what is in the very latest version of the FSFS PRO 2015 for FSX Manual for version 8.6.0. (Earlier versions said generally the same thing).

So... can you tell me if you have done precisely that (above) to make FSFS 'run as admin'?

If not... can you please follow those steps and then try a flight with FSFS and let me know how you get on?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12210
Posted Thursday, August 06, 2015 2:19:23 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Yes, I did precisely as you say about running as admin. I did read it in the manual. Of course, I read the manual after I received the error. I'm going to try assigning ownership of
Program Files(x86) to admin. Sometimes that folder acts rather strange! Let you know what happens.
Post #12212
Posted Thursday, August 06, 2015 3:53:01 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

I tried assigning Ownership of ProgramFiles(x86) to administrator and allowed all child objects of same to inherit ownership/permissions and receive the same error on running School. I can't figure why school can't create/write to the file. Owner of the FSFlyingSchool is admin(inherited), School run as admin as per manual. Permissions are 'Full control'. A puzzlement.

Tried running again with User control turned off and same error but this time a form came up asking me if I wanted ti change settings for School. I selected the 'yes' and tested the program with whatever it setting it changed and got 'err 5' Remote Procedure Call, arguments' . Seen lots of those! Is it calling an object and passing parameters to write to writeinifile?
Post #12213
Posted Thursday, August 06, 2015 12:19:02 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

I don't know if my edit of previous post worked or not so I'll just post a reply. I was not thinking (not a unique experience) when I mentioned the Procedure Call. I am confidant you folks do not have Run Time Errors in your software. I've seen evidence of your error trapping and exit with the original error. I've not seen that change settings form before but I'm guessing it was a Windows Comp thing.

When I edit a post, how do I ensure it is recorded? I did it once before but I forgot what I did.
Post #12214
Posted Friday, August 07, 2015 9:52:51 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

When I edit a post I simply go back and look at it to make sure it looks right - always best to see it with your own eyes.

The failure to write the file is very much a puzzle.

It should not be necessary to get into ports or turning off account control. I realize that you're describing use of FSIA too - but neither application should require this sort of thing.

Clearly there is an issue running them on this PC, but I just wanted to assure you that these applications are in use by thousands of folks all over the world and installation usually takes about 3 minutes.

You mentioned McAfee on the PC - is there any other 'security' software running on the PC (besides Windows inherent security)?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12215
Posted Friday, August 07, 2015 10:42:47 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

I have no other security running other than McAfee and Windows, McAfee does control inherent windows settings so that should not be a problem. The problem I originally mentioned 'ASConnect' was ASNext weather. I had no trouble with Instant Approach, I just didn't remember correctly that it was ASnext I had the trouble with. I fixed it as described above.

I just tried sharing School folder with 'Everyone' with read/write permissions and no joy. Does school create the writeinifile in it's home folder? If not, Where?.

I agree I have a local issue. I have had these problems before but have solved them all with actions we have already been over. I go back to the vacuum tube days and octal coding so I have an understanding of stuff going on but am no windows programmer, other than declaring/calling WinAPI procedures.

I'll continue trying to come up with something. Appreciate you giving it some thought too.

Thanks
Post #12216
Posted Saturday, August 08, 2015 7:48:14 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

I;m going to try re-installing 'School'. I screwed up and deleted all my mail that included the activate codes. Could you please send them to me?

I have your 'Instant Approach', 'Approaches US Airports', And 'FSSchool' and I deleted all mail with the codes in them. No idea what I was thinking.

I'll put 'School' in a new folder directly under C:. I wrote a small disk utility for defraging boot time files earlier this year and it would not work in (x86) but would under C:. Why? No idea!

Thanks in advance for the activate codes. I forgot to ask what info you need to retrieve them.

Charles Abernathy
coabern@gmail.com

Post #12217
Posted Sunday, August 09, 2015 3:48:23 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

I downloaded the demo ver of school. Installed directly under C: and same problem. Where is writeinifile created? That has to be my problem! Can I alter the writeinifile location? Perhaps tweek a register entry.

Something else. I tried INstant approach this morning and received a 'invalid picture error'. I think that's what the dialog said. I restarted FSX and Instant worked but informed I had the demo ver. I choose the option to report the error. This after trying the demo ver of school.
Post #12219
Posted Sunday, August 09, 2015 6:32:05 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Charles:

Good news! We have emailed your codes and download links to you - for reference, your purchase was not from us but happily we were able to find the information for you - please see the emails for details.

FSFlyingSchool attempts to write files to its own folder (the folder where the user chose to install it) and also to folders within its own folder.

It does not write to folders outside its own folder unless it has been told to 'generate runway data' at which time it will take a few minutes to complete that specific task. (This most certainly is not what is going on when the error is occurring in the cases you have reported.)

I hope this helps - please let me know how you get on.

Post #12221
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:23pm