We are looking at adding formal lessons to FSFS...

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

1234»»»

We are looking at adding formal lessons to... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 08, 2014 1:38:32 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Calling all FSFS fans!

Perhaps I could use this opportunity to stimulate some chatter here at the forum amongst FSFS pilots.

We are looking at adding formal lessons to FSFS - people have responded enthusiastically to our survey questions about this.

Now of course, the stated goal of FSFS has always been to be as flexible as possible - any plane - anywhere. But with lessons, the pilot's options would certainly be limited.

We cannot make a generic set of lessons that would work in any plane - any such treatment would be extremely shallow.

So... we'd make lessons for, at first at least, a specific plane, and that would, without question, be the FSX c172 as it has to be a plane built into FSX, so that everyone has it, and also a good beginner's plane (no gear, prop levers, speedbrake, etc).

We do hope however, that we would be able to create lessons that would not have a fixed location.

Most folks are OK with the idea of a specific plane, but want to be able to fly around their neighbourhood, instead of around KSEA as with the Rod Machado lessons.

'Circuit Mode' in FSFS is the closest we come to a lesson at present, and a lot of folks love it, and a lot of folks don't. It is pretty demanding, with fine (but achievable) tolerances, and they are very similar to the tolerances set in the Rod Machado lessons.

So my question to forum members is this: would you be excited about lessons with tolerances similar to the experience of 'Circuit mode' in the existing FSFS?

Just to be clear - when I speak of tolerances I am talking about flying say within 50' of the assigned altitude, within 5 KIAS of the assigned airspeed, within 3 degrees of the assigned heading etc. (These are just example numbers to make the point.)

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11747
Posted Monday, September 29, 2014 7:26:48 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 04, 2014 9:16:28 AM
The idea of adding formal lessons is exciting. The closer that I can get to real pilot proficiency is why I almost always fly with Mr Smith. You already have a great product so any efforts you can do into making it better will be welcome by me. I still struggle to achieve that elusive, "perfect score" and I wouldn't want it to be easy. As for the tolerances, I would suggest that you work with actual flight instructors to reflect what they expect. I would even enjoy hearing MORE criticism. When rolling into a heading, I frequently exceed 20 degrees and fail to fall into the correct heading without a correction, but Mr Smith remains silent. Possibly you might consider a reward system so that the student would expect more difficult challenges with every advance. Finally ending with proficiency evaluations for the graduate. I'm really asking for way too much, but I thought I would try to encourage your company to continue with updates which I appreciate very much.
Post #11774
Posted Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:19:42 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:47:13 AM
For me this would be a great idea. I would even trade in the free location, as the educational element rates much higher for me than location.

Post #11804
Posted Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:27:04 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Folks:

Many thanks for your replies - please keep them coming - we really want to get feedback on this.

Can you tell me to what extent you have already used the Rod Machado lessons in FS and also the 'Mission' based lessons?

If you have used them - what did you think?

PROs and CONs?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11805
Posted Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:31:51 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Sunday, November 05, 2017 9:15:01 AM
I think adding lessons would be a great idea and in particular starting with a single aircraft that all of us have and then progressing with development of more lessons and adding other airplanes in the future. I'll bet a lot of people would be drawn to the Flying School with lessons added.

It would be important to me to be able to conduct lessons at any airport. My favorite is KIWA and I fly out of there quite often as well as KPHX and KDRO.
Post #11806
Posted Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:36:00 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi JFAIL:

Thanks for joining the discussion!

Can you tell me to what extent you have already used the Rod Machado lessons in FS and also the 'Mission' based lessons?

If you have used them - what did you think?

PROs and CONs?

Post #11808
Posted Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:26:36 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

I used them years ago and liked them then.
PRO:
You had a rather good instructor at your side, whom could be quite a 'bitch' when you got out of line
Certificates

CON:
When I didn't understand the instructions (English is my second language) he just kept bitching with the same line that I didn't understand

The CON could be helped much by explaining what the pilot should do in a different way.

Just my 2 cents
Post #11814
Posted Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:52:03 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

BTW... I would really like an option for the a2a C172 for this kind of training. I have personally had some troubles (don't like their airfiles, cockpits etc.) with the generic Microsoft aircraft the last many years.

I don't know how many of your users uses a2a c172 and on the same note don't know how different your software had to be made to support both generic and a2a, but if a2a could be an option, I would be first in line even to buy it as a extra module.
Post #11815
Posted Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:07:32 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Thanks Brian:

We would certainly want the A2A c172, which lots of folks have mentioned using with FSFS, to be compatible with the lessons.

There would almost certainly be a few things with that plane that cannot be monitored (by FSFS) sadly and this would mean we'd have to exclude their consideration in lessons. This could get difficult if they were key factors. We'd do our best to include the plane nevertheless.

Post #11816
Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:43:47 PM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Last Login: Sunday, October 03, 2021 2:48:46 AM
As far as planes, anything by Carenado.

SquadronLeader (10/14/2014)

Extensively way back then. Same goes for the missions. To go and look at them today, they still hold up quite well imo.
Even for any newcomers considering flight sim today, RM's FS lessons -in FS9 or FSX- are the best reference by far for anyone who wishes to jump into the world of flight simming head first. Microsoft and RM set the bar high in that regard.

And to take lessons at any airport location throughout the world would be a nice added touch to complement FSFS's ability to go worldwide in all of the flight platforms, as it sits now.
Post #11820
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

1234»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:58am