FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Problems with flights Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:15:37 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 31, 2012 7:11:51 AM
Hi
Been trying the demo of FS Instant Approach and am having some problems...
There are a number of scenarios that have happened in FSX -
1) Using default 737, the plane appears at the position in the sky expected with landing gear down and immediately stalls and instantaneously falls to the ground. Doesn't descend just is on the ground. I have tried just letting it fly and setting up autopilot, altitude, auto throttle, Nav hold etc. and setting these before un-pausing.
or
2) plane wanders to one side of the course and never intercepts the glide slope. The marker for the glide slope doesn't appear but the horizontal one does just over to one side.
or (and this is the weirdest)
3) let it fly for a minute, pause to setup autopilot, un-pause, turn on autopilot and Nav hold and the plane turns 180 degrees away for the airport.

Problems occur maybe 2 times out of 3. On that 1 time, everything works as expected and I have a perfect landing.

Most confusing...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Clarkie
Post #10082
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:48:13 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hi:

Thanks for taking a look at FSIA. Glad you are using the free demo - that's the great thing about a demo, you can make certain you are satisfied before you buy the product!

The first thing to note in this case is that this is the first such report (of your issue number 1) that we have received, so there is either something unique about your PC/FSX or about the way you have FSX + FSIA set up.

Are you saying that the aircraft immediately, erm, 'teleports' to the ground and does not 'crash'? It just relocates as if by slewing? Does it do this at a specific airport or at all airports you've tried? There could be an issue with altitudes here - if the airport has tall hills just before the runway for example. Please let me know - please answer all questions.

As to the glideslope, localizer, autopilot, etc. the first thing I need to make clear (you may already know this and so please let me explain here for the benefit of others ) is that some folks have formed the impression that FS Instant Approach is in some way connected with the autopilot.

FS Instant Approach has nothing to do with the autopilot. It does not set it. It does not use it.

FS Instant Approach can, optionally, tune NAV1 to the runway ILS if available and can also set NAV1 OBS to the runway heading.

It is entirely up to the pilot to use or not use the autopilot and is entirely their responsibility for setting it correctly.

FS Instant Approach does nothing, at all, which affects the autopilot, with the exception of optionally setting NAV1 and its OBS as described above.

Please let me know how you get on!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10083
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:52:14 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Doing some more test will get back.
I do understand that the software makes no setup for autopilot. Just wondered if anybody had any ideas...
Post #10085
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:13:44 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Clarkie:

I have an idea but need more data - can you tell me at which runway(s) you have tried using the autopilot with FSIA? I am especially interested to know at which one the "180" occurred.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10086
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:03:04 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:41:20 AM
I have been using fsia for several months and intermittently have had the same problem. After I engage FSIA then un-pause FSX I have learned to watch my alt closely. If it starts doing a nose dive I disengage AT add full throttle and pull back on the stick, this does not always work. This all happens very fast. As for the 180 turn around I haven't a clue except dis-connect then re-connect.
Post #10087
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:14:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi G-G:

I can see that having FSIA place you on approach, with the autopilot ('AP') engaged already might lead to some complex situations. The AP in FS2004 and FSX can do some very interesting things sometimes and can be unpredictable.

I think more predictable results might be achieved if the AP is configured but not engaged before the CONNECT button is pressed in FSIA.

(That is - if you want to use the AP of course - you do not have to...).

Only after FSIA has moved the airplane to the on approach position - turn on the AP master switch to engage the AP.

Just a suggestion...

Post #10090
Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:28:23 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

OK some more info...

FS Instant Approach demo -
Airport = KGRB
Start 10 miles out, runway 06 at 180kts
Altitude = 3000
Aircraft starts at KGRB active runway then connect in FS I A. (no other settings just gear down, N1 at 23%)

I made a movie of what happens - http://youtu.be/W6iSLL7J5T8 - this is pulling the column back fully.

737 immediately nose dives into the ground. Altitude initially shows 100 feet, jumps to 2900 and then down she goes. Engines rev to max but I guess the power comes too late. Bigger jets super stalled and slid backwards.

Try again with engines at 99% and it still dives to the ground but now has enough power to pull out, just. Now going 450 kts and recovers control at 800 ft.

Happend 5 times in a row starting from an FSX restart and the 6th time it worked perfectly.

2) Autopilot issues I accept have nothing to do with FS I A.
3) 180 degree problem may have been me pressing Ctrl-B (backcourse). Haven't had chance to test yet but again I accept has nothing to do with FS I A.

Clarkie
Post #10097
Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:04:26 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi again -

Whoa! A movie! Great idea - I am sure it will help solve the case. Erm... it appears to be what YouTube calls "Private". Can you make it "Public" so I can have a look at it?

Post #10098
Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:28:41 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Woops. Should have made it Unlisted. Should be OK now.
Post #10099
Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:16:27 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

This is puzzling.

Just looking for more data - can you try this where you start with the airplane you want to fly in the air in FSX - flying along calmly - with the AP and autothrottle off and only then press connect in FSIA to set up the approach and let me know what results you get?

Also with the standard c172?

FSIA is designed to work with any airplane, but I cannot yet see what is different about your set up. Folks all over the world are using it with light and heavy aircraft with no problem.

Post #10100
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:06pm