Computer locked up after install of FSFlyingSchool

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Computer locked up after install of... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, January 01, 2012 7:38:08 PM

FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 31, 2019 9:21:09 AM

I just attempted to install FSFlight School in X-Plane 9. A message appeared along the top edge of the installation screen that said the install was successful and to reboot. The first sign of a problem was that there was no button on the bottom that said exit, or anything similar. The only button available was cancel. I clicked it then rebooted.

The problem now is that absolutely no program on my computer will execute -- even the browser.

What can I do now? Is it possible to salvage this installation?
Post #9239
Posted Monday, January 02, 2012 7:28:42 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hi

Sorry to hear about this - we have never heard of such a problem - this is most unusual.

What happens when your PC has finished starting?

What happens when you press the Start Menu?

What happens if you try to run a simple program such as NotePad in the Accessories folder?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #9242
Posted Monday, January 02, 2012 8:38:54 AM

FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

The start-up is perfectly normal.
The start button opens the list of programs as if nothing is wrong.
The windows Explorer opens fine and I can negotiate the program tree without any problem.
Click on any program or browser and the busy icon next to the mouse pointer continues to rotate endlessly but nothing happens. No program will load.

By the way, thank you for your quick response. Hope you can come up with a solution.
Post #9243
Posted Monday, January 02, 2012 9:29:27 AM

FSFlyingSchool PPL

I failed to answer the last question.

Yes, the Note pad and Word pad programs work and I am able to print from both of them.
Post #9244
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:13:18 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
We cannot imagine what part of installing FSFS could have caused this - I believe we have received no such reports in over 5 years.

But in order to resolve the issue on your PC, the most likely solution is to perform a Windows System Restore, which is accessed as follows:

Start Menu... Control Panel... then type "restore" into the Search text box at the upper right (in Windows 7).

Usually, you would pick the most recent restore point as shown by Windows and restore that, but it all depends on what you have done to and installed on your PC since that date.

I cannot advise you on this as you need to use your own judgement.

I do not believe that the installation of FSFS caused the issue, but there is clearly a problem and this (above advice) may help.

Please let me know how you get on.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #9248
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:21:14 PM

FSFlyingSchool PPL

Oh, Thank you so much. Very easy to accomplish and worked perfectly. I'm flying again.
Post #9256
Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:21:47 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Last Login: Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:13:56 AM
just a small query, but was this by any chance on a computer running Vista? If so, there are known issues where vista can and does automatically download updates from Microsoft, and installs them in the background, however the updates aren't completed until a restart occurs. I have experienced on a number of occasions where if you then install software before the machine is rebooted to complete the windows update, the file system, or operating system files can become locked, causing all sorts of abnormalities in windows that only a restore can resolve it. Microsoft are aware of the issue and they fixed it for Win7.

I would recommend that you change windows update to only download and not automatically install updates. This way you can install them when you wish (and the task bar will tell you when they are available), that way you can install other applications to enjoy such as FSFS without these problems occurring again.

Post #9315
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:34pm