[CTRL]{SHIFT] keys problem

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

[CTRL]{SHIFT] keys problem Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:46:32 PM
I am running FSFlyingSchool v1.6 in FSX.  Everything seems to be working properly but when I press the [ctrl][shift]d or [ctrl][shift]z keys, or any of the other key combinations or alternates, nothing happens. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jerry

Post #830
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:46:26 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
jstanbro (6/12/2007)
I am running FSFlyingSchool v1.6 in FSX.  Everything seems to be working properly but when I press the [ctrl][shift]d or [ctrl][shift]z keys, or any of the other key combinations or alternates, nothing happens. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry:

The more information we have about your system, the sooner we can answer your questions, so please provide as much of the following information as you can.

The good news is that FSFS is installed all over the world, running with FS2002, FS2004 and FSX with no problems so we are sure we can get it running on your PC.

Was this the first time you installed FSFlyingSchool - have you successfully run earlier versions of FSFlyingSchool ?

Are you using a registered version of FSFlyingSchool?

Could we ask you to send is some details about your PC?

We will need:

Exact Windows version
Exact Flight Simulator version
Exact FSUIPC version
Is FSUIPC registered? (It does not need to be, but we need to know if it is).

PC RAM (Main memory)
PC Processor
PC Video Card

Names of any other Flight Sim add-ons running at the same time.

Names of any other software applications running at the same time - we ask this because a number of programs such as Snag-It, Camtasia and Cougar HOTAS may conflict with key mapping.

Some folks have reported keystroke issues before, but we've always been able to help.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #831
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:48:41 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Here are the details to the best of my knowedge:

Was this the first time you installed FSFlyingSchool - have you successfully run earlier versions of FSFlyingSchool ? Yes.  I've run 1.4 and 1.5.

Are you using a registered version of FSFlyingSchool? Yes

Could we ask you to send is some details about your PC?

We will need:

Exact Windows version: XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Exact Flight Simulator version: FSX with SP1
Exact FSUIPC version: version 4.1.1.0 6/1/2007
Is FSUIPC registered?  No(It does not need to be, but we need to know if it is).

PC RAM (Main memory): 2GB
PC Processor: Pentium 4 3.80 GHz
PC Video Card: NVidia GeForce 7900 GTX

Names of any other Flight Sim add-ons running at the same time.

I have the AeroSoft HelgoLand and Cape Canaveral sceneries (but was not flying in them) and I was flying the default C172.  I use the CH Products yoke and pedals.  I have a few freeware and payware planes installed, but they were not active.

Names of any other software applications running at the: None 

Thanks,

Jerry

Post #832
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:05:12 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Jerry:

The key point is that FSFS used to work fine in v1.4 and v1.5 for you - please correct me if I am wrong.

You are now using 1.6 and FSX with SP1.

We need to home in on what point the keystrokes stopped working...

For example the answers could be:
"When I started using FSX - before I used FS2004"
or
"When I upgraded FSX to SP1"
or
"When I upgraded FSFS to v1.6" (very unlikely as the key processing logic is unchanged)
or
"When I installed the CH product"
etc

Does any of this ring any bells?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #833
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:32:15 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

The key point is that FSFS used to work fine in v1.4 and v1.5 for you - Yes

You are now using 1.6 and FSX with SP1. Yes

We need to home in on what point the keystrokes stopped working...

I used previous versions with FSX.  Not very extensively, though, because my system kept trashing itself (nothing to do with FSFS, I'm sure).  I have recently gotten things stabilized (I hope....) and have started re-installing.  I did not try version 1.5 with the FSX SP1 upgrade, I just downloaded and installed version 1.6 since I saw that it was available.  So I don't know whether it stopped responding to keystrokes after SP1 or version 1.6.  The keystrokes seem to be the only feature of FSFS that doesn't work; it just keeps me from advancing from taxi mode to takeoff mode.

This is just a shot in the dark, but would a registered FSUIPC help?  (I've been considering registering it anyway.)

By the way, FSFS is a super program - I had been looking around and hoping for something just like it (to help me learn to fly more realistically) for a long time.

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

Post #834
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:29:46 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Jerry:

>> So I don't know whether it stopped responding to keystrokes after SP1 or version 1.6.  The keystrokes seem to be the only feature of FSFS that doesn't work; it just keeps me from advancing from taxi mode to takeoff mode.

We've had some (very, very rare) experience of key problems with FSX, but these have always been resolved.
The root cause may be something which was introduced in FSX SP1.

Some users have reported that the problem only exists when the FSX ATC is being used or when its 'window' is on the screen.

Could you try this?

Quit both FSX and FSFS if loaded, or just start from a fresh PC which has just booted up.

Load FSX then load or create a flight and load any flight plan you like. The key point is that the plane is on the runway ready to go with your flight plan (if desired) loaded.

Only then - load FSFS and load your flight plan into FSFS (if desired) and then connect FSFS.

Another user said that this solved a key related problem. Please let us know your results. If no help - try it again without ATC (if you used ATC).

>> This is just a shot in the dark, but would a registered FSUIPC help?  (I've been considering registering it anyway.)

I have no reason to suspect that it will help and it is not required - but it's great value for money so if you are tempted...

>> By the way, FSFS is a super program - I had been looking around and hoping for something just like it (to help me learn to fly more realistically) for a long time.

Many thanks for the kind words - they are very much appreciated and will be quoted with your permission!

Post #835
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:30:24 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Update:  I've noticed two things:

First, the status message (taxi...) does display when the flight starts.

Second, I programmed the [ctrl][shift]d key sequence into Voice Buddy (I hadn't used Voice Buddy with FSFS before.) and still no joy, so I suppose that it isn't anything to do with the keyboard.

Thanks,

Jerry

Post #836
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:49:55 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Quit both FSX and FSFS if loaded, or just start from a fresh PC which has just booted up.

Load FSX then load or create a flight and load any flight plan you like. The key point is that the plane is on the runway ready to go with your flight plan (if desired) loaded.

Only then - load FSFS and load your flight plan into FSFS (if desired) and then connect FSFS.

It works!  I'm not quite sure how this procedure is different from what I did before, but it definitely works this way.  I tried it with and without a flight plan, and started from both parking and the end of the runway.  FSFS key strokes all work consistently.  I haven't brought ATC into the mix yet, but I'll let you know if I can figure out exactly what is triggering the problem.  Thanks for your help and patience.

Yes, you can quote me.

Thanks,

Jerry

Post #837
Posted Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:34:22 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Jerry:

Many thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear it works.   I am confident that this is almost certainly connected to FSX SP1 for I know, as the lead programmer, that the keystroke processing and logic in FSFS v1.4, 1.5, 1.6 is all the same - unchanged.

It will probably be that we'll need to amend the manual to instruct pilots to specifically follow the sequence you used when flying with FSX.

Tell me - if you do this and fly a successful flight, but then end the flight and return to the opening 'menu' screen of FSX and for example select a different aircraft and airport and then put the plane on the runway, all with FSFS still running, are the keys in FSFS still working well or do they then exhibit a problem?

I must mention that praise also goes to forum member Rapture who first raised this issue and indeed worked out the procedure I described to you. We will soon publish it on the FAQ and indeed as a specific procedure in the manual.

Who knows? We might even be able to figure out just what FSX SP1 is doing differently!

Post #838
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:01pm