Making this product CRYSTAL clear to newcomers and others without a degree in computer technology

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Making this product CRYSTAL clear to... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:15:24 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 17, 2010 9:06:37 AM
With so many questions about the setting up of FSFS, the link to FSUIPC and the add-on bits and pieces I am tempted to ask, on my behalf and others, why things could not be made easier at the outset.

I firmly believe that a huge number of flight sim installations, both yours and others, would be greatly helped if you set out the directions in a clear, tabulated for with each step clearly numbered so people knew exactly where they stood.

I do not find that this is the case in exploring FSFS as it stands.

When an organisation is clever enough to design such a program I think they should set out the directions and then give it to a person who has very limited knowledge of their product and know-how and see if they can easily set it up for themselves.

So much is assumed where software programs are concerned.

Please don't. Treat us all like idiots. Well me at least.

Post #8094
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:36:30 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
peterjh (11/11/2010)
With so many questions about the setting up of FSFS, the link to FSUIPC and the add-on bits and pieces I am tempted to ask, on my behalf and others, why things could not be made easier at the outset.

I firmly believe that a huge number of flight sim installations, both yours and others, would be greatly helped if you set out the directions in a clear, tabulated for with each step clearly numbered so people knew exactly where they stood.

I do not find that this is the case in exploring FSFS as it stands.

When an organisation is clever enough to design such a program I think they should set out the directions and then give it to a person who has very limited knowledge of their product and know-how and see if they can easily set it up for themselves.

So much is assumed where software programs are concerned.

Please don't. Treat us all like idiots. Well me at least.

Hm... from one user to another... I am not crystal clear on what you mean.

Do you feel treated like an idiot, because you feel that this program is made hard to set up? You want more guidelines on the installation? yet you feel treated like an idiot as it is? I would be more crystal clear on your post if you felt like the developers dealt out diapers and nappies during the installation instructions., and THEN felt treated like an idiot...

But more serious. I believe that you are dead wrong. You get an installer. You execute the installer - and then you install FSUIPC... the version made for either FS9 or FSX (and this difference is in the hands of Peter Dawson with his excellent program) and not the developers of FSFS.

And well thats it. If you want to add programs, like the Cessna Detail pack, you simply insert a key, and voila - it works. Same with the voicepack - BUT of course here you need to teach Windows Speech recognition YOUR way of speaking. Again, this is out of the hands of the FSFS developers, who uses a feature already in Windows, but nomatter what you want to use voice recognition for, you got to teach YOUR computer to recognize YOUR voice and way of talking.

So all in all I honestly believe that the installation process IS crystal clear. And whats more, the developers ALWAYS gives the customer the opportunity to try every new feature in the free demo version - which is FULL functionality in a limited geographical area - with the customers money still safely in his/hers pocket.

Thats crystal clear too if you ask me.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #8095
Posted Friday, November 12, 2010 2:26:51 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hi:

I think the best I can do at this point is to say that we plan to make a new set of instructional videos which will show how to set up and configure things as we have found that this is by far the most effective way to show people how to get started with any product of this type.

We can make the manual as clear and cleanly laid out as possible and then - a huge number of people don't bother to read one sentence from it and get frustrated because they cannot install or configure or use FSFS correctly.

With the introduction (years ago) of our tutorial videos, which explain how to install and operate FSFS, the volume of support questions from customers was significantly reduced.

They work very well, but are in need of an update and indeed there are several newer areas which need to be added.

We hope to have a new set of tutorial videos out very soon.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #8097
Posted Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:35:28 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Just a short comment - and I might mention that you haven't heard from me lately as I am very happy with the product and it works very well.

I don't think there are any major problems in installation, and the designers have presented this pretty clearly.  Once installed, you may be a little frustrated at first because you need to understand the constraints under which FSFS works, and realize that it is but a computer program which reacts in a certain way to certain actions.  For instance, when doing circuits you've got to understand that if you deviate from the constraints spelled out, then the program will respond accordingly and may cause frustration. You don't have the flexibility of a real-life situation with an instructor who is constantly evaluating you and making allowances for erros.  I had a lot of issues at first, which you can see by referring back to my previous postings, but after having sorted this all out I found that I had a program which increased my skills tremendously to the point at which I wanted to use it in a flightsim workishop I was planning to conduct at a school - which was cancelled unfortunately due to the school closing. 

So, all I can say is, be patient - follow the instructions, and if you have difficulties present them in the forum and they will be sorted out for you.  After having overcome the initial difficulties in understanding the philosophy of the program you will be well rewarded.

Stan

Post #8135
Posted Monday, November 22, 2010 7:20:12 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Stan!

Many thanks for a most kind and elegant description of your experience with FSFS.

I am sure it will help a lot of sim-pilots understand what FSFS is about.

I've often said that I think of FSFS as being a bit like an autopilot. You can do lots of good things with it, but if you just press a bunch of buttons and expect it to do what you want you will probably be disappointed.

And... so sorry to hear that the scheme at the school was not possible. What a shame.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #8142
Posted Friday, November 26, 2010 4:28:05 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Friday, December 17, 2010 9:06:37 AM
Please forgive my first thread and in particular the last line. My appallingly bad punctuation was to blame.
I really meant to ASK you to treat some of us, me in particular, as a comparative idiot when it comes to the setting out of the steps involved in installing FSFS.
If the steps involved in getting FSFS on my system were numbered and tabulated I'm sure I would find it easier to understand.
(This seems to be a common practice with loads of software firms in the Flight Sim world.)
I am and always have been, happier with a disc than trying to download stuff.
Apologies once again.
Post #8149
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:48:07 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:54:35 AM
I'm not really sure why everybody says it's hard to do? This is the best program I have ever had. It brings realism to sim flying can't wait to activate the FS2011! Just want to say keep up the good work !!!
Post #8790
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:15:08 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Grumpy80:

Many thanks for your kind words! It's always nice to hear from happy folks.

Post #8791
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:41am