New member's observations

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

New member's observations Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:55:52 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, May 20, 2019 11:19:43 AM

Hi guys,

First of all, what an excellent program! I used the demo for only one day and decided to buy your program, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

I see it’ll be in PC Pilot, but I haven’t got that issue yet (I get it by mail) and I found your program by pure luck while I was randomly surfing the Net. (I think I saw it on simMarket, but I’m not too sure on that.)

A few things…

Excellent demo you have. Because of the price of FSFS, I probably would have been reluctant to pay that much without knowing exactly what I’d be getting. The demo convinced me in less than 24 hours that the program would do quite a bit to improve my flying skills. In fact, with only ½ dozen flights or so under my belt, I’m already learning what I should and shouldn’t be doing.

Your video tutorials are excellent! That’s such a fast (and painless) was to learn to use a new program.

Failures:
I was wondering about this and I don’t know if I’ve missed the info in the manual or not. It seems like I get penalized for a/c failures. For example:

1 - I lost my radio stack while landing an ILS approach. Without it, I had to use the PAPI lights and made (what I think) a pretty good landing but lost points because I wasn’t using the localizer and glideslope. I lost the ILS when my radio went down, so I made do by making a VFR landing.

2 - On another flight, just as I rotated, (using a Cessna 172) I lost my engine. I was still over the runway and brought the a/c back down without damage, I thought I’d done a pretty good job. Again, I lost points for not using the ILS and a few other things.

So I’m wondering, shouldn’t I get points for reacting to a dangerous situation and still managing to land the plane safely?

Anyway, I totally love the program and it was certainly a worthwhile purchase.  It’s already teaching me proper flying techniques, and like so many guys, I picked-up an awful lot of *bad* habits when I was learning to fly. There wasn’t an FSFS then, so the bad habits became ingrained into my flying, now I have to relearn quite a few things. I don’t know how to fly circuits yet, so FSFS will be teaching me that in the next few weeks.

Congrats… You guys have made an excellent and really well thought-out program!

Puppy

Post #726
Posted Thursday, March 01, 2007 1:10:42 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words about FSFS.

Yep we're in the current PC Pilot. Very nice review from Joe Lavery.

As to the demo - we wanted to give people all the features of the full program (except fly anywhere and submit scores) so they could make an informed decision about purchase. We feel our price is appropriate to the amount of work in the product which has increased hugely since its release in Dec 2006 at no extra cost to customers...

Glad to hear the video tutorials were a success - it's so much easier to pick something up when you can watch and hear a general overview first.

Failures - first, well done for getting the aircraft down safely!

As to the points scored, your observations are well made, we have not yet integrated the effects of failures into the scoring - we just wanted to share failures (what a strange expression!) with simmers because they are challenging, and we had them working (failing!). So... at the moment, failures are indeed (surprise) your worst enemy. (Seems appropriate somehow...) You get no extra points for them and they will likely lose you points given the chance. Their integration into the points system will follow shortly in a subsequent version.
Believe me - we press ahead with these versions - 5 revisions (with new features) since Dec 2006.

What is your failures slider set to? It sounds like it must be set to cause 'em pretty often??
If you want to punch out some high scores, set failures down to 99.

Great to hear FSFS is giving you useful feedback - it's certainly improved my own virtual flying.
Circuits are one of the most demanding features of the add-on, but can be done with practice and I think the movie on our web site helps with this. Also the circuits section of the manual must be read thoroughly - as with real life a little Ground School can go a long way.

I wonder if you woudn't mind giving us your name so we could quote you???

Happy flying! Let us know how you get on.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #728
Posted Thursday, March 01, 2007 2:33:25 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, May 20, 2019 11:19:43 AM
What is your failures slider set to? It sounds like it must be set to cause 'em pretty often??

It’s set to 41%. I haven’t used the program enough yet to know if that’s just a combination of rare bad luck or whether I’ll experience failures on a fairly frequent basis with that setting. I will try a much higher number when I want to post my scores.

You get no extra points for them and they will likely lose you points given the chance. Their integration into the points system will follow shortly in a subsequent version.

That’s good news to hear! The program has such incredible potential to be continually expanded upon with new and innovative features.

Failures - first, well done for getting the aircraft down safely!

Thanks. This is actually my first foray into using failures. Up until now, I’d never bothered with them. Now that I’ve had 2 of them, I’m going to continue using that feature since it really adds an extra feeling of realism to flying.

I wonder if you woudn't mind giving us your name so we could quote you?

Sure, it’s Larry Mudge. I’m on many flight sim forums as Skinny Puppy so I tend to use that rather than my real name, but it’s certainly not a secret, so feel free to quote from whatever I happen to write on your forum.

Puppy

Post #730
Posted Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:14:41 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
>> It’s set to 41%. I haven’t used the program enough yet to know if that’s just a combination of rare bad luck or whether I’ll experience failures on a fairly frequent basis with that setting. I will try a much higher number when I want to post my scores.

That's the ticket.

>> That’s good news to hear! The program has such incredible potential to be continually expanded upon with new and innovative features.

Agreed - we've kept this up since its release - more, more, more...

>> Thanks. This is actually my first foray into using failures. Up until now, I’d never bothered with them. Now that I’ve had 2 of them, I’m going to continue using that feature since it really adds an extra feeling of realism to flying.

Splendid.

FSFS's failures system provides the 15 (as I recall) basic systems/items included in the basic FS failures system, plus loss of fuel, flaps, gear and now unreliable switches, all of which can be made transient (erm... except your fuel can't come back!!) by choosing 'Loose Wire' failures. 

>> Sure, it’s Larry Mudge. I’m on many flight sim forums as Skinny Puppy so I tend to use that rather than my real name, but it’s certainly not a secret, so feel free to quote from whatever I happen to write on your forum.

Thanks Larry!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #732
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:04am