How to get the best out of FSFS for bush and mountain flying?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

How to get the best out of FSFS for bush and... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:47:05 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
My favourite type of flying is bush flying in Alaska, mountain flying in the Canadian Rockies, and exploring the out-of-way little airports in a light plane.  What I generally find is that either I will have to negotiate a short field landing over obstacles or maybe approach the field on downwind, entering the pattern rather high to avoid trees and rocks, and then fly a bit further out before turning onto base.  Either way, this taxes the resources of FSFS.  When I go into approach mode on downwind, Mr. Smith immediately reminds me to get a glideslope and is not sure what I'm doing, and that in fact I'm going to enter a pattern later.  He doesn't know that there are rocks in the way and I've got to get over them before I can turn onto base. If I stay in cruise mode and am descending, he will remind me that I shouldn't be descending in cruise mode.  All this of course penalizes me, and landing on a remote runway will be less than perfect as I struggle to keep the plane aligned.

Am I asking too much of FSFS for this sort of flying?  It certainly leaves Mr. Smith pretty exhausted.

BTW, FSFS still handles the situation pretty well, which shows just how much thought went into the product.

Happy flying

Stan

Post #6755
Posted Monday, February 01, 2010 3:56:43 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Stan:

Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your experience using FSFS in a type of flying that not everyone does. I share your interesting in bush flying - the scenery in FS really can be quite a treat to see, especially around valleys and such, with the Sun at a cool angle.

I think that most of what you mentioned would be solved by entering landing mode later.

Descent during takeoff is certainly marked down as a mistake, but Smitty and his team will not find fault if you descend while cruising. 

You will lose points if you are getting really low (AGL) while cruising - but that is another matter.

Perhaps try entering landing mode (as I always say - the experts have this on manual control in FSFS and not automatic) when you turn onto your base leg. I think that might do the trick, but am certainly open to comments from others!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #6761
Posted Monday, February 01, 2010 10:13:13 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Thanks SL, I will try this.  I don't want to impose on you, but if you would like, I could send you the flight and flightplan files which I saved approaching one particular airfield in Canada, and which is not really difficult, but it does illustrate the situation I'm mentioning and is only about a ten minute flight to land from that point.  But please don't feel obliged. 

Stan

Post #6763
Posted Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:07:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Stan:

We'd like to have the files - sure - I cannot promise we will fly the flight tomorrow(!) but it would be very nice to have it for reference.

Please let us know how you get on.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #6780
Posted Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:27:46 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

Here are the two files for an approach to Sechelt-Gibsons from Delta Aiport.  You'll be approaching through the rain in the downwind direction opposite runway 11, which is the suggested approach because of the wind.  It's easy to fly straight in to rwy 29 at 290 deg, but you'll find when entering the downwind circuit its not easy to watch the runway on your left and you have to really get the numbers right.  I'm curious about how FSFS reacts to somebody else flying this approach. 

Oh dear, I just found that the site won't allow me to upload these file types, so if you'll tell me where to send them to, I'll gladly do so.

Stan

Post #6785
Posted Friday, February 05, 2010 5:59:42 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Thanks - send them to:

support@FSFlyingSchool.com

Post #6789
Posted Sunday, February 07, 2010 4:44:34 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM

Hi Stan,

Located the flight files into the correct folder (Doohhhhh) and loaded  your saved flight. Initial problem was that I did not have the Real Air Cessna so instead I used the Real Air Scout with your user defined weather.

Flight:

Found myself approaching the downwind segment of the circuit heading 300 deg. at 2000ft.  At this point I manually entered c/s/z for landing mode [I look at c/s/z as announcing my intention to land & will shortly be entering the circuit, as opposed to  being established in the circuit]. Immediately after c/s/z selected 7 deg flap, first notch on the Scout, mixture rich & prop fully fine.

Descended to 1000ft to a point over the lake & turned base & then finals. Selected 14 deg flap second notch & 70 kts IAS. I cleared the ridge of the hill by 500ft aprox. & then glided in with minimal power down the slope of the hill to RW 11. It was a steep descent & Smithy did complain once.  Approach faster than normal (usually like to be 60/65kt IAS over the fence), needed big flare & landed 1/3 way down the R/W.

Observations:

• Reminder to myself. Instead of clearing the ridge by 500ft aim for 100ft & start descent as soon as you clear ridge.
  • I have no glideslope, unless you get one…..” comment from Smithy. My understanding is that Smithy is stating that you are not tuned into ILS & therefore he understands that you will be doing a visual approach & landing. If this is correct then perhaps it might be better if Smithy were to say nothing unless you are tuned into ILS when he could say “Great, I see we are doing an ILS approach”.  
  • Perhaps it would help if you were to look at c/s/z differently. As already stated above, when bush flying I will enter c/s/z closer to the field than when landing at larger fields, it varies, whatever floats your boat.
  • Always selected flaps immediately after c/s/z to avoid a “late flaps report” (personally I think that Smithy is a bit anal about this and perhaps could give say 30 seconds for initial flap selections opposed to what seems like a 2 second grace period.)
  • In an effort to be “realistic”, wherever possible, I make this observation. I do not believe an instructor would say I have no glide slope, unless you get one you will be doing a visual approach”  rather, I believe, he would more likely say “OK, we are doing a visual approach” or “Great, I see we are doing an ILS approach”.  

I hope this helps. My preference is also for bush flying, more to see and do!

I bet you field would be quite suicidal in poor vis.

Biggles

Biggles piloting American Champion Scout FSX black ended 07 February 2010 at 09:49

Aircraft: Bellanca    ID: C-RYRA    Airline:     Flight:

Flight plan:     NAV1:

Failure(s): None at landing

Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None

Failure Bonus:0%   Flight Duration:00 Hours   07 Mins   31 Secs

Landing Score:68.40

Landing was successful in the following areas:

* Gentle touchdown.

* Good landing speed - not too fast.

* Wings were level.

* Good pitch control after touchdown.

* Good pitch at landing.

* With flaps - good job.

* Heading aligned with runway.

* Throttle(s) idle.

* Good controlled final descent to touchdown.

* Good steering after landing.

Landing included the following problems:

* No glideslope information was available on visual approach.

* No runway alignment information was available on visual approach.

* No glideslope - could not compare flare to glideslope.

Definite room for improvement...

Flight Score:0.00 (Flight did not include take off...)

Flight commended in the following areas:

* Smooth turns.

* Nice banking.

* Correct matching of flaps to speeds.

* Comfortable G forces.

* Smooth pitch control.

* Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.

* Gentle taxi turns.

* Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.

* Safe taxi speed.

* Smooth braking during taxi.

* Wings level near ground.

* Well coordinated turns.

* No stalls.

* No flying dangerously close to stall speed.

* Smooth comfortable descent rate.

* Pitch not too high.

* Pitch not too low.

* Flaps down on time.

* Approach speed not too fast.

* Low altitude speeds not too fast.

* Good clearance of obstacles.

A smooth flight! Biggles piloting American Champion Scout FSX black ended 07 February 2010 at 09:49

* No stalls.

* No flying dangerously close to stall speed.

* Smooth comfortable descent rate.

* Pitch not too high.

* Pitch not too low.

* Flaps down on time.

* Approach speed not too fast.

* Low altitude speeds not too fast.

* Good clearance of obstacles.

A smooth flight!

Post #6794
Posted Sunday, February 07, 2010 8:27:05 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

Well done Biggles.  Thanks for the advice, it gives me something to think about in respect of improving my flying skills.  I do think that FSFS, as great as it is, could do with some tweaking in this glideslope area.  Your landing and approach were commented on as excellent, and yet you still got the inevitable message"Definite room for improvement.  I alwasy find that a little demoralising after completing a near-perfect landing.  Just a little harsch, what?

Stan

Post #6796
Posted Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:35:49 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

Thanks to Biggles - but we still have the glidesope problem, and "Definite room for improvemt"

Aircraft: Cessna ID: VH-KBT Airline: Flight:
Flight plan: NAV1:
Failure(s): None at landing
Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None
Failure Bonus:0% Flight Duration:00 Hours 09 Mins 35 Secs

Landing Score:70.00

Landing was successful in the following areas:

Gentle touchdown.

Good landing speed - not too fast.
Wings were level.
Good pitch control after touchdown.
Good pitch at landing.
With flaps - good job.
Heading aligned with runway.
Throttle(s) idle.
Good controlled final descent to touchdown.
Good steering after landing.

Landing included the following problems: No glideslope information was available on visual approach.
No runway alignment information was available on visual approach.
No glideslope - could not compare flare to glideslope.
Definite room for improvement...

Flight Score:0.00 (Flight did not include take off...)

Flight commended in the following areas: Smooth turns.
Nice banking.
Correct matching of flaps to speeds.
Comfortable G forces.
Smooth pitch control.
Flown within aircraft's maximum speed limit.
Gentle taxi turns.
Appropriate position of flaps during taxi.
Safe taxi speed.
Smooth braking during taxi.
Wings level near ground.
Well coordinated turns.
No stalls.
No flying dangerously close to stall speed.
Smooth comfortable descent rate.
Pitch not too high.
Pitch not too low.
Approach speed not too fast.
Low altitude speeds not too fast.
Good clearance of obstacles.
Flight included the following problems: Flaps not down on time - plan your landing next time.

• Definite room for improvement...
Post #6798
Posted Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:50:18 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi guys -

Sorry I have not read all of the thread - I am just trying to sort out the problem Stan had with the last flight he reported. It was a visual approach with no flight plan loaded into FSFS and that will not work in FSFS.

You need either:

a) An ILS signal and land at the runway from where the signal is being broadcast

or

b) A flight plan loaded into FSFS and land at the runway selected at the FSFS flight plan page and make sure you have no ILS signal

Post #6817
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:18pm