Glideslope problem with VFR flights

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Glideslope problem with VFR flights Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:08:02 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Flying VFR, and having loaded the flight plan, the instructor continually pesters me by saying "you're below the glide slope -get the glide slope".  If I lift the plane the runway comes up suddenly and the only way to land is to point the nose, which gets an immediate comment from the instructor that I'm descending too fast.  I have always intercepted the glide slope from below, which means, yes, I WILL be below the glide slope until I intercept it, but Mr. Smith doesn't like that one bit.  I feel he's looking for the glide slope too far from the runway.  Maybe I AM coming in incorrectly, but I never have any trouble landing and once I'm down Mr. Smith compliments me on my smooth landing (although he frequently criticizes me for not maintaining the center line).

Any ideas, comments, criticisms on this one?

Stan

Post #5526
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009 4:38:27 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
We are indeed looking at shortening the distance from the runway before the instructor will start talking about the GS. 

Of course - one must also make sure that when below the GS, one is not dangerously low, but that does not sound like the case here or else you'd be hearing from Smitty about that too.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #5528
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:33:28 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Do you envision that you will issue a patch to correct the problem?  ANother thought on this problem is that if you are overflying the runway to effect, say a procedure turn or go-around, the instructor has no way of knowing this and thinks that you're going to land. The ideal is to stay in cruise mode, and just switch to landing mode on short final, or a little before when you're really going in, but then you will probably be below 1000 ft in cruise mode and the instructor will be yelling at you to pull up.  I'm just thinking, that maybe if this 1000' facility could be disabled, the disadvantage would be outweighed by the more realistic control of the pilot? 

Stan

Post #5687
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:23:26 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
stanshear (11/5/2009)
Do you envision that you will issue a patch to correct the problem?  ANother thought on this problem is that if you are overflying the runway to effect, say a procedure turn or go-around, the instructor has no way of knowing this and thinks that you're going to land. The ideal is to stay in cruise mode, and just switch to landing mode on short final, or a little before when you're really going in, but then you will probably be below 1000 ft in cruise mode and the instructor will be yelling at you to pull up.  I'm just thinking, that maybe if this 1000' facility could be disabled, the disadvantage would be outweighed by the more realistic control of the pilot? 

Stan

Stan I've lifted this reply from the previous post on this matter. I think the key is not being allowed below 500ft agl unless landing is the answer     Any thoughts?

Biggles

Hi Fenric

Your second point, hilighted above, is being looked at by S/L.

A question though when in cruise mode & on your approach to the overhead - at what height ere you flying?

I have raised the following with S/L elswhere I paste it below for info & will keep you posted re answer.

Re Stans 2nd point. Agree re turning off auto landing detection but to qoute Stan

If I remain in cruise mode he'll then tell me that I can't descend whilst cruising and criticizes me for that.  So what's the best way of approaching a landing according to an NDB approach chart where the FAF is very near the runway and you have to fly outbound first, do a procedure turn and then come in to land via a standard circuit because the approach is 45 deg. to the runway?

If one remains in cruise mode & descends below 1000 (with auto landing off) you will get hammered for low flying!?

Question is at what height do you need to descend below to trigger point deduction/debrief comment for low flying?  If memory serves me right you are, in unrestricted airspace & flying FVR,  not allowed to descend <500ft unless landing. Therefore I would think that this should be the point at which fsfs hits you for low flying.ie <500ft in cruise mode. This may already be the case, I don't know. If Stan has got auto landing turned off & he remains in cruise mode when inbound for the overhead on his NDB approach then, provided he doesn't descend  <500ft he should not hear Smithy's criticism re If I remain in cruise mode he'll then tell me that I can't descend whilst cruising and criticizes me for that.

Biggles

Post #5691
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:38:36 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

OK, here's the story.  I'm landing at Provincetown which has an NDB on-field.  The approach chart and approach worksheet are attached.

1. You overfly the runway, and turn left 67 to be outbound in line with the runway, and reduce altitude from 3000' to 1600' over a period of about 2 mins.  You should be in cruise mode at this stage to avoid Mr Smith saying something about descending, but he picks up the runway as a waypoint and starts to remind you that you need to land.  He doesn't know that you intend overshooting the runway to turn back.

2. You make the left procedure turn, returning back at 202 to intersect the inbound heading at 147, descending to 1600' and turning 147 to land.  At this point you need to go into descend mode and Mr Smith starts telling you that you have no glide slope.

3. When you intersect the 147 bearing you have about 2 mins to reach the NDB which is on-field.  During this time you have to descend to the MDA of 500' to capture the glide slope for landing.

4. Assuming you're flying at about 75kias, you should be about 500/300 nm (using the 1/300 rule of thumb) from touchdown, namely about 1.6nm from touchdown when you reach 500'.  However Mr Smith continues to admonish you about the glide slope and tells you that you're below the glide slope.

Does this procedure sound right?  The problem seems to be that you have no way of telling FSFS that you're firstly overflying the runway, and secondly, when you return to land, FSFS starts to sense that you're off the glideslope before the MDA.

I hope I'm making sense, but this seems to be what's happening.

Stan

Post Attachments 
www.navfltsm.addr.com_pvc.pdf (3 views, 154.05 KB)
www.navfltsm.addr.com_ndb-on-field.htm.pdf (3 views, 10.86 KB)

Post #5699
Posted Friday, November 06, 2009 2:45:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
stanshear (11/5/2009)
OK, here's the story.  I'm landing at Provincetown which has an NDB on-field.  The approach chart and approach worksheet are attached.

1. You overfly the runway, and turn left 67 to be outbound in line with the runway, and reduce altitude from 3000' to 1600' over a period of about 2 mins.  You should be in cruise mode at this stage to avoid Mr Smith saying something about descending, but he picks up the runway as a waypoint and starts to remind you that you need to land.  He doesn't know that you intend overshooting the runway to turn back.

Strange, I would not have thought this should happen if in cruise mode  Over to you S/L

2. You make the left procedure turn, returning back at 202 to intersect the inbound heading at 147, descending to 1600' and turning 147 to land.  At this point you need to go into descend mode and Mr Smith starts telling you that you have no glide slope.

I believe the question of Smithy bleating on about Glideslope/localiser too early has been raised & is being looked at  S/L?

3. When you intersect the 147 bearing you have about 2 mins to reach the NDB which is on-field.  During this time you have to descend to the MDA of 500' to capture the glide slope for landing.

4. Assuming you're flying at about 75kias, you should be about 500/300 nm (using the 1/300 rule of thumb) from touchdown, namely about 1.6nm from touchdown when you reach 500'.  However Mr Smith continues to admonish you about the glide slope and tells you that you're below the glide slope.

Thats one for the S/L

You can alter the glideslope angle in your non ILS r/w files & see if that shuts Smithy up

Does this procedure sound right?  The problem seems to be that you have no way of telling FSFS that you're firstly overflying the runway, and secondly, when you return to land, FSFS starts to sense that you're off the glideslope before the MDA.

I hope I'm making sense, but this seems to be what's happening.

Stan

Hi Fenric

I think the S/L needs to answer most of this but I can see exactly what you are getting at

Biggles

Post #5707
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:46pm