Scratchy, distorted instructor voices! How can this be fixed?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Scratchy, distorted instructor voices! How... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:29:13 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 09, 2009 10:46:37 AM
I just found out about FSFS yesterday and downloaded the demo version.  When I first installed it everything worked fine, and the instructor's voices were fine.  But after several flights, the voices started getting scratchy and distorted.  This got progressively worse until they were unintelligible.

I tried Changing instructors and changing the volume setting, but it didn't help.  Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the program.  No difference.  So I uninstalled it and deleted the leftover files, including the program folder.  Then I downloaded a new demo version and installed it, which seemed to fix the problem.  For two flights the voices were fine.  But on the third flight, the distortion started to come back, and by the end of the fourth flight it was so bad that much of what the instructor was saying was unintelligible.

None of my other programs that have sound, including FSX are doing this, so I don't think it's a problem with my sound card or speakers.  Has anyone else had this problem?  And how can I fix it? 

Thanks.  

Post #5369
Posted Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:31:49 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hi there - in the feedback we have received, "scratchy" voices are normally due to the use of volume levels set in FSFS (from the drop down menu) which are not 'normal'. You can used the different levels fine  - but a very small number of folks have had problems with them.

Having said that - this does not appear to be the issue with the set-up you have described.

What happens when you exit FS and FSFS and then relaunch - do the voices reset to "nice and clear"?

Do you have any other sound related software running at the same time?

Other FSFS add-ons running at the same time?

Is non-standard software or drivers handling sound on your PC?

How many sound devices appear at the settings page (of FSFS2009) when you drop down the list? More than one?

Your case is pretty unique and it is therefore very likely that something about your configuration is also unique and causing this effect.

Please let us know what you find.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #5380
Posted Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:01:39 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

SquadronLeader (10/17/2009)
Hi there - in the feedback we have received, "scratchy" voices are normally due to the use of volume levels set in FSFS (from the drop down menu) which are not 'normal'. You can used the different levels fine  - but a very small number of folks have had problems with them.

Having said that - this does not appear to be the issue with the set-up you have described.

What happens when you exit FS and FSFS and then relaunch - do the voices reset to "nice and clear"?

How many sound devices appear at the settings page (of FSFS2009) when you drop down the list? More than one?

Your case is pretty unique and it is therefore very likely that something about your configuration is also unique and causing this effect.

Please let us know what you find.

Hi SL;

Thanks for the help.  Unfortunetly the problems not solved yet

I tried exiting both FSX and FSFS, then re-launching FSFS.  When testing the voices in the Pilots screen on FSFS, they sound normal again.  But as soon as I connect to FSX the distortion comes back to the point where I can't understand anything they say.  Then upon disconnecting from FSX and testing the voices again in the Pilots screen on FSFS, the distortion IS STILL THERE!  And it stays that way until I close FSFS and re-launch it.  Upon re-launching, the voices are fine again until I re-connect to FSX.  Then the same thing repeats all over again.  Also, it didn't do this for several flights after first installing FSFS, but now does it every time.  I have not changed any settings in FSX or anywhere else on my computer since originally installig FSFS (when it worked fine).  All other sound producing programs are still working normally, and all other sounds in FSX are still working normally.  I don't know what FSUIPC is, but I also re-installed that.  But there was no change to the problem.

The computer is only about 3 months old, and I talked to the company I bought it from.  They only gave me the standard excuse of "It's not a problem with the computer, it has to be the software that you installed."  They were no help at all!  By the way, even though it's a new computer, it's running Windows XP.  This was my request since I heard of so many problems with Vista, and XP worked well for me.  Don't know if this has any effect on this problem or not.  The computer company said it wouldn't.

Not that I am aware of.  I have run FSX and FSFS by using msconfig to disable all startup items and disable all services except microsoft services, and I have run it in normal mode as well.  Makes no differance.

No.  I only heard about FSFS the other day and didn't even know there were add-ons for it!

Not that I am aware of.

Do you mean on the settings page where it says "Sound Card Setup".  I just left it with the "Default" button checked.  If I click the "Other" button, the drop down menu shows "HD Audio Rear Output" and "Modem #1 Line Playback".  I have no idea what either of these is.

I sure hope someone has a sollution for this.  When I saw how much I can get out of FSFS, I was so impressed!  I really want to be able to use it again, but I'm just not able to find a way to solve this!

Thanks!

Post #5404
Posted Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:54:32 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi again SL;

Well, good news.  The problem seems to be solved!  Once again I uninstalled FSFS, downloaded another copy of it, and installed the new copy.  I've made many flights with it today and the voices are still sounding great!  I didn't make any other changes to anything, so I don't know why it's ok now, but not before.  Maybe the first two copies got corrupted somehow in the dowload process?  Is that possible? 

Thanks for a great program!  I've been flying MS Flight Simulator for over 10 years and this is the first time I've started to actually feel confident in landing, thanks to FSFS.  And I only heard about FSFS two days ago!!!  I can hardly wait to get the registration key and start flying around airports I know better!

Thanks for your help!

Post #5412
Posted Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:15:46 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Wayne:

Many thanks for all the information and for the kind words about FSFS.

Great to hear it is working well for you now.

Keep in touch - there are always lots of interesting things being discussed here on the forum.

Happy landings!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #5416
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:15pm