FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Poor weather and or Night flights Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:06:52 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
During the tour I thought I would try for a few browny points by doing a night flight. But all the take off times logged are actual times and not those selected in FSX. Have I missed something somewhere?????

Biggles

Post #4174
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:02:31 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Bruce E (5/27/2009)
During the tour I thought I would try for a few browny points by doing a night flight. But all the take off times logged are actual times and not those selected in FSX. Have I missed something somewhere?????

Biggles

Well Bruce.

The timestamp on the postings online, only state when the postings were made, and has nothing to do with the time/day/conditions the flights were done, but the score still reflects the conditions, so by all means fly in bad conditions to get better scores....

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4175
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:14:35 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Guys:

Just a few points that might help. Low visibility at landing and/or crosswinds at landing are currently the only 2 environmental factors which affect scoring.

As to the time of day - are we talking about times in a log book or times on the web based high score tables?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #4177
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:09:48 AM

Hi

Let me clarify what I was getting at.

If I set the time of flight on FSX at 2200 and actually fly the leg in the afternoon my log book debrief on fsfs does not acknowledge that the flight was at night.

It seems to  record the ATA (actual time of arrival)

eg. see below 1551

Biggles piloting American Champion Scout FSX Red with Black ended 24 May 2009 at 15:51
FSFlyingSchool 2009 (May 12 2009)
Using: FSX
Visibility: 49.71 Miles     Wind: 5 Knots

Aircraft: Bellanca ID: N103AC Airline: Flight:
Flight plan: PHHI TO PHJR NAV1:
Failure(s): None at landing
Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None
Failure Bonus:0% Flight Duration:00 Hours 12 Mins 40 Secs

As stated fsfs only takes account of crosswinds and poor visibility therefore there is no advantage score wise in carrying out night landings.

I acknowledge that the day night flight hours are recorded in the fsfs conventional logbook

Like they say understanding the system (fsfs) is half the battle eg landing spots.. I think it is a great programme as it makes you concentrate on your flying and helps by highlighting areas that need improving

Thanks for your responses to my query

Biggles

Post #4178
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:05:49 AM

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
 Bruce

A couple of things.

1) Sorry if I didnt make myself clear. I am aware that the time of day dont effect the score. Thats why I wrote "the score still reflects the conditions, so by all means fly in bad conditions to get better scores...."  time of day is not a condition, in my book

2) I did make the wrong assumption as to the logbook entry. I thought you ment the online scoretable.

3) This I will adress in your scorepost...

I´ll get back to you if I have any more questions

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4179
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:29:16 PM

Hi Training Captain

Thanks for that. I have just the last leg of the tour left. Do I have the courage for a really bad weather trip. I'll check with my navigator and see if we have enough sick bags onboard.

Must go and check with the Met man

Biggles    aka Bruce e

Post #4181
Posted Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:34:38 AM

Bruce E (5/27/2009)
Hi Training Captain

Thanks for that. I have just the last leg of the tour left. Do I have the courage for a really bad weather trip. I'll check with my navigator and see if we have enough sick bags onboard.

Biggles    aka Bruce e

Well Miss Aviatrix thought I was mad but agreed to try the bad weather trip    

(My attempts to upload photos meet with "an unexpected error" reported  being generated   and an email being sent to john paul jones --- so sorry no photos

The scout has a max demonstrated cross wind capacity of 17 kts so I settled for the following wx at Hilo Intl

8/8 cloud wind 080/8 viz 2 nm and moderate rain cloud base was about 3000ft chosen runway was 08 so we had an 80 degree xwind.

Departed HI02 and set course of 160 to interceot the vor on a bearing of 080. So far so good bearing intercepted, where the airport?

Wind kept blowing me south of my intended track. Saw the approach lights at 11 o clock. Ended up hdg about 060 in order to track 080 onto the runway ( Miss Aviatrix kept telling me to get on the runway heading again and again - I dont think shes heard of xwinds   )

Anyhow we landed safely   I'm feeling better now after a pint of Guinness. ah well no flying for at least 8 hours.

I REALLY ENJOYED MY INTRODUCTION TO HAWAIEEN TOUR FLYING.    OLE, THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY AND TO EVERYBODY WHO SUPPORTED ME ON THE WAY - ROLL ON CARRIBEAN 100. 

Next I have to try to figure out uploading photos

Biggles     Bruce e

Post #4182
Posted Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:37:37 AM

Bruce E (5/28/2009)
Bruce E (5/27/2009)
Hi Training Captain

Biggles    aka Bruce e

Well Miss Aviatrix thought I was mad but agreed to try the bad weather trip    

(My attempts to upload photos meet with "an unexpected error" reported  being generated   and an email being sent to john paul jones --- so sorry no photos

The scout has a max demonstrated cross wind capacity of 17 kts so I settled for the following wx at Hilo Intl

8/8 cloud wind 080/8 viz 2 nm and moderate rain cloud base was about 3000ft chosen runway was 08 so we had an 80 degree xwind.

Departed HI02 and set course of 160 to interceot the vor on a bearing of 080. So far so good bearing intercepted, where the airport?

Wind kept blowing me south of my intended track. Saw the approach lights at 11 o clock. Ended up hdg about 060 in order to track 080 onto the runway ( Miss Aviatrix kept telling me to get on the runway heading again and again - I dont think shes heard of xwinds   )

Anyhow we landed safely   I'm feeling better now after a pint of Guinness. ah well no flying for at least 8 hours.

I REALLY ENJOYED MY INTRODUCTION TO HAWAIEEN TOUR FLYING.    OLE, THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY AND TO EVERYBODY WHO SUPPORTED ME ON THE WAY - ROLL ON CARRIBEAN 100. 

Next I have to try to figure out uploading photos

Biggles     Bruce e

I'm rubbish at proof reading the wind should read 008/8

Biggles

Post #4183
Posted Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:32:10 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Guys:

Good to see some lively chat on the forum - that's the ticket!

Yes - the time of day and date recorded in the HTML log book is real world data. We did this deliberately, but we could add the simulated time and date too - why not?

Yep - I confirm that the night flying (hours) is considered in the 'traditional log book'.

Finally - I am a little puzzled about Biggles's experience of the instructor on the approach with the crosswind. There should be no danger at all of the instructor telling you to adjust your heading for a runway because of a crosswind. The instructor should actually have nothing to say about it at all because right now FSFS instructors only state passive facts about winds but don't give advice or correction except for taxiing with winds.

The instructor will of course tell you to line up your flight path with the runway "Get lined up with the runway", but this is regardless of where you happen to be pointin' that nose at the time.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #4184
Posted Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:33:16 AM

Hi Sqn Ldr

I was landing on 08 with the wind 008/8.      72 degrees off the centre line. In order to land I had to fly a heading of about say 070 to give me a track of 080 and Miss Aviatrix saying "Get lined up with the runway",

Thanks for the explanation.

I forgot to mention in my flight report that when seeking landing permission from Hilo Intl tower they refused as the field was imc due to the wx. I told then I was low on fuel and they relented. I'm telling you just in case I'm reported to the authorities

Bruce

Post #4188
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:49pm