How to move landing spot from edge of runway

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

How to move landing spot from edge of runway Expand / Collapse
Author

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
Some of my 0.00 landing scores have been due to landing too far down the runway

I read that some people have moved the landing spot further down the r/w---How is this done???

I'll try anything to improve on some of those 0.00's  [As long as you can walk away from a landing it's safe - even if its a 0.00]

Bruce e

Post #4116
Posted Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:32:24 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Bruce E (5/24/2009)
Some of my 0.00 landing scores have been due to landing too far down the runway

I read that some people have moved the landing spot further down the r/w---How is this done???

I'll try anything to improve on some of those 0.00's  [As long as you can walk away from a landing it's safe - even if its a 0.00]

Bruce e

Bruce

you have to make your own landingspot. Its very easy, and is described in the manual on page 28. In short, you set your plane exactly on the runway where you want your landingspot (pick a spot you can see when you come in for the landing... - last set of double stripes or so) and then you press "Y" for slew and read the lat/long coordinates and put those, along with the other needed info described in the manual, into a file in the non-ils folder. (just take one out on your desktop and edit it - then put it back) and youre set up for landing.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4120
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 12:05:05 AM

...... and the speed of the answer was like greased lightning. Thanks

I'll continue this tour with the default settings at then refly it at leisure after moving the landing spot to half way down the runway

Keep smiling

Bruce e        aka Biggles

PS: what is this Carribean 100 Tour

Post #4122
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 12:21:20 AM

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Bruce E (5/25/2009)
...... and the speed of the answer was like greased lightning. Thanks

I'll continue this tour with the default settings at then refly it at leisure after moving the landing spot to half way down the runway

Keep smiling

Bruce e aka Biggles

PS: what is this Carribean 100 Tour

Bruce

The Caribbean 100 tour, is JoeMinis next project. He has made a tour in the Caribbean - (surprise!) consistant of 100 legs. A much longer tour than this one, but still shorter than our WWT, and set in a beautyful scenery. You should come with us on that one too. Your inspired me to join back in the Hawaiian tour, so thank you for that.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4123
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 3:08:35 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Bruce - Ole is quite right with the landing spot.

Tip - make sure that whatever spot you choose can be recognised when landing.

Choose something like "runway numbers" or "right next to where Boomer the Golden Retriever stands by runway 17".

The point is you need something you can aim at with considerable precision.

Final point - to anyone having trouble with landings, please try ILS landings first. Once set up you just follow your GS and LOC. Visual landings in FSFS, with no such cockpit displays, are actually harder to satisfy the instructor.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #4126
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 7:33:34 AM

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31:09 AM
SquadronLeader (5/25/2009)
Bruce - Ole is quite right with the landing spot.

Tip - make sure that whatever spot you choose can be recognised when landing.

Choose something like "runway numbers" or "right next to where Boomer the Golden Retriever stands by runway 17".

The point is you need something you can aim at with considerable precision.

Final point - to anyone having trouble with landings, please try ILS landings first. Once set up you just follow your GS and LOC. Visual landings in FSFS, with no such cockpit displays, are actually harder to satisfy the instructor.

I was just going to reiterate what Ole and SL just said....pick the numbers or stripes just past the runway number.  Just pick a spot you think you can hit better than the edge of the runway, and you'll be surprised how your landing numbers will go up....Trust me...I was quite stubborn until I realized this important fact.

Joe Mini

President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC. 
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"  

Post #4131
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 11:28:39 AM

Thanks Squadron Leader, Joe Mini and Ole.

I did a quick trial "new spot" at HI13 PuuWaaWaa Ranch. No numbers or other markings at this strip so I picked the straw hat half way down the rubber skid marks and scored a reasonable 69 points. Without the change to the "spot" I would have lost too many points due to the long landing again.

As stated previously I'll stay with the default setting for the rest of the tour and then when I have more time will reset the "spot" and re fly the tour and compare scores

I'm hooked now so hope to see you all on the next tour when Joe Mini gets it up and running

Bruce 

Post #4151
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:18am