WWT - Oles final thoughts on the World Wide Tour.

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

WWT - Oles final thoughts on the World Wide... Expand / Collapse
Author

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM

Thoughts on the World Wide Tour, (WWT) a flight around the globe, with JoeMini.

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind spend 8 months sitting in front of their computer and fly and fly and fly one destination after another, until it all clicks together and the initial departure airport becomes the final arrival airport? Well my wife has the answer to that question for sure. No one in their right minds would!

Perhaps she’s right – but if – then I’m not in my right mind, because that’s what I did.

To fly the globe is something I wanted to do for many years – like so many other sim-pilots, I can see on different forums. I have done leg 1 on around-the-globe flights many many times, but I didn’t get much further than that, because I never made a flight plan to begin with. Just took off, usually from Copenhagen and ended in Sweden or Germany, or Jutland. Then not much more.

And this was usually in a Cessna 172, my dedicated plane at the time. The Lear Jet 45 was just too fast and dangerous. Boeings? Get out of town!

Then everything changed, the day I stumbled over FSFlyingschool. This little program that does it all, and does nothing. You still fly just like always. FSFS does not change one single thing in your Flight simulator. Not one. It changes YOU, the pilot.

After two weeks of using FSFlyingschool I was flying Lear jet, and looking longingly at the 737 (and the 747 but don’t mention that to anyone yet) Less than a month after that, I was asking on the FSFS forum if anyone would like to compete with me in a flight around the world. I had seen the pointsystem in FSFS and how great that could be used to compete on flyingskills.

I must admit that I thought that several would say yes, but only one did. Joe from Kansas USA. He must be as little in his right mind as I am, ´cause he instantly agreed and started making suggestions of how, when and where we could do it.

We planned it for a couple of weeks, and set the departure day for August 1. 2008, with a time span of 8 months, and 122 mandatory legs of flight. We included an option to fly only 25% of that and still be in the game, to have others join in, who thought this was too huge, but Joe went the other way and planned more than twice as many stops as the mandatory. I myself settled for the 122, plus what I found along the way. This turned out to be 20 extra flights.

August 1. we flew. (There is a time difference between me and Joe of 7 hours, so I flew long before Joe, but still it was august 1. for both of us.)

I changed my mind in the last moment in thoughts of planes. I initially went for the entire trip in the King Air 350, but hours before my first flight I changed it to the Lear jet. I would only fly in that one the entire WWT, but Joe would change planes as we went along.

You experience a lot of different things when flying so long and so far. I quickly found out that ILS landings are so much easier to perform than visual. Problem is that not every runway out there has correct ILS system. Here and there the ILS descend will not get you to the runway, but somewhere in the neighbourhood, and that’s just not good enough for Mr. Smith and his instructor team. Not good enough at all.

Luckily I got to beta test the new version of FSFS; the 2009 version. Lots of new features is included in that one. One of the biggest is an automated non-ils runway file for every runway in the world. So when you were up there and the ILS system was screwed up, all you have to do, is to change the dial on the Nav1, so the ILS is turned off, and then aim for the physical runway, just as you would in real life. Smith will then rate you as a visual landing. Cool, neat and great. FSFlyingschool makes a get-around for the flaws made by the Flight Simulator developers.

All that flying and all that rating keeps you on your toes, and toughens you, so eventually you start to think that the Boeing 737 is maybe not so dangerous as you might have thought before. Or the 747 or….. And soon you will look back and think that those small piston planes are jerky, slow and not as thrilling to fly as the big ones.

Mr. Smith or his fellow instructors becomes so nice to have with you up there, that the mere thought of flying without them, is one bad thought. I treat FSFS like the American Express card. I don’t leave the ground without it.

Our WWT was divided into four parts, and when we reached the end of part 1, Joe and I was thrilled. We cheered each other and drank virtual champagne with each other.  We mailed back and forth with ideas, suggestions, and thoughts on how we were, and where we were.

At some point it became too annoying for me, and I suggested to Joe that we linked up on Live Messenger. We did, and then we became friends. Its been about 5 months, and now we type at each other almost every day when we fly. I fly late nights and Joe flies when he comes home from work, so we can type real-time while flying. Now we could keep each other posted on there, how, when, and tell the other one the latest scores, seconds after we got them. So not only did I fly around the globe, I also made an American friend.

We came to the end of part 2, on December 1. in Nepal. Now we were halfway there, and our score curve was showing increasing confidence in this pilot thing. So we disregarded our vows to take a week off, and started on part 3. This was my peak. I had gone to Boeing 737´s and 747´s and I was handling them better all the time, ending with my 173 point score in a NON-ILS landing in Russia. In a 747 that was. Now I was king of the world, and I had the numbers to prove it.

Joe began to make remarkable flightscores – far above what I can do. We made it to the top of the highscore list in FSFS website. Me in landings, and Joe in flights.

And then feb 1. 2009, it was Edmonton, Canada that was the deadline. We made it, barely, but still, and the metal fatigue started to show, on both Joe, and myself. Six months of flying had put traces on our faces, and we began to talk more and more about getting to Miami, instead of getting to the Caribbean, as we had looked so very forward to for a long time.

I had spent the last of January getting myself a new computer, that could run FSX instead of my old one, that could only run it with very low settings and at a one-digit framerate most of the time. I had also gotten completely new flight controls. I has used a Saitek X-52 HOTAS for years, but now I wanted to be more accurate, so I got myself a Saitek Yoke and throttle quadrant, pedals and even the Saitek Switch panel. That was great, except for my ability to use it. I find the transition from the HOTAS to the yoke very very difficult. Ill get the hang of it, but for now I struggle.

I took part 4, in a few pushes, made a lot of flights in a short time, and then a break, then a lot of flights again and so on. But finally I actually made to the Caribbean, and that blew new light, and life in my WWT hunger. Joe and I had talked about flying the Caribbean in a small plane, and so I ditched the 737, and entered a Cessna 208 Caravan, the heaviest small plane I could think of, being in the FSFS hanger. Points are considerable lower in small planes, and it showed on my scoring list at once. I got the feeling that the entire part 4, had been bad bad score wise, but my scoring table shows that it is not the case. I didn’t have any mega scores at all, but all in all it was decent. The feeling of just wanting to get to the end, made its way back to me on the last 3-4 flights, after having visited the Old Danish colonies in the Caribbean.

I decided that I was to enter Miami the same way as I left it in august, so I took the Learjet for the last flight, and made one last crappy score landing in Miami.

But it was still with a sense of pride that I took down my flight controls and began to think back. 143 flights Nothing compared to Joes mammoth 250 or something like that, flights,  but more than enough for me. More than 65.000 miles of flight, and 8 months of dedication to a single task. I was, and I am, very satisfied with myself.

Have this changed anything for me? Changed my flying? My view on Simflying?

Yes, yes, and yes! FSFlyingschool has changed, turned around really, my view on flightsimming. From doing around-the-pole flights in Denmark in small planes, I have now evolved to successfully flying, and landing big jets. Very gratifying. I now dare to fly anywhere. Nothing is to big a challenge. I dare, and I can, and I will.

So finally I wish to thank the inventers of Flight Simulator, the Aces team, sadly they have been closed by Microsoft while this WWT has been going on. I hope someone will pick it up sometime.

I wish to thank the inventers of FSFlyingschool. If it wasn’t for them, I would never have taken the step to do this global flight. It’s a marvellous program they have invented.

And of course, last but not least. A big heartfelt thank you, to Joe, my American friend. He stuck with me for 8 months (and we are planning more tours still) he lifted me up when I was down, and he became my friend along the way. Cheers to you Joe, for more adventures in the future.

And one special thanks. To Jeff Preston, one of the guys in FSinventions – the people behind FSFlyingschool. During the WWT, I have bothered him with comment, after comment, question after question, and suggestion after suggestion, one dumber than the other, and he has taken the time to get back to me (not at me) on everything, patiently answering all my wonderings and encouraged me when I was in a dry spell on the WWT. Thank you for that.

Flight simming rules.

Regards from Denmark

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3606
Posted Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:35:08 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:31:09 AM
Well done Ole....   Couldn't have said it any better!

You wrote so much stuff dude!  But one thing I'll remember about the whole planning of the WWT tour was you saying you wanted to stick with one airplane - the KingAir350.  Wonder what you would have been thinking flying those long haul flights across the desert?  We'd still be flying?

Looking forward to our next extravaganza!

Joe Mini

President/CEO/Chief Pilot for Joe Mini World Wide Tours, LLC. 
"If we get you to your destination in one piece, it's a miracle"  

Post #3632
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:10:11 PM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, March 22, 2015 6:40:24 AM
Hi Ole and Joe,

This is the first time I have come across this wonderful shared story and adventure, I am jelouse! Wished I could have been there, I bet it would have the best time of my life! I commend the both of you on taking that WWT.

I am very pleased to say to the both of you: I am proud of you for doing the WWT together! This new Hawaiian Tour is going to be my first tour ever with all hopes of having a great time and so much fun. The high scores is not what I am after at this time, I just want to get in there and have a blast for the first time in my life on Flight Simulators. I too love the FSFlyingSchool Program. I can't wait until Friday at 6:40 a.m. Eastern Standard Time to start flying that Tour. You two rock! I can't wait to join in for the next ones that come up in the near future after this Hawaiian Tour. Ole, did you get the list of ICAO's I sent you for an adventure flight? If so, please send them to Joe too. I would love to do a flight with it. Great story Ole and Joe, I wish you would repost it under the FSFS Competition Flight Tour section. I think everyone should read your story. It was fantastic to read and hear about that exiting WWT adventure.

Once again, I am proud of you for doing the WWT together!

Cheers,

Garrick.

Best Regards, Garrick Pattenden
Founder / CEO
Canadian Aviation Software
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2013 FSX, FS2004
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

Post #3817
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:56:19 PM

Thanks Gerrick.

It was a wonderful, fun 8 month we spent, Joe and I.

An interresting set of ICAO´s you sent. But boy its a lot. 200 legs will scare many people away, so maybe a critical look at it, and downsize it a little would benefit.

All the WWT posts will be moved from the main forum to the FSFS competition forum. This forum is only just made, and Jeff has kindly accetped to move all posts concerning the WWT flights to this forum.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3818
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:26:18 PM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

oleandreasen (4/28/2009)
Thanks Garrick.

It was a wonderful, fun 8 month we spent, Joe and I.

An interesting set of ICAO´s you sent. But boy its a lot. 200 legs will scare many people away, so maybe a critical look at it, and downsize it a little would benefit.

All the WWT posts will be moved from the main forum to the FSFS competition forum. This forum is only just made, and Jeff has kindly accetped to move all posts concerning the WWT flights to this forum.

Hi Ole,

Yes there is a large number of legs on those ICAO's, You are most certainly correct, they should be down sized a bit. Maybe all of us could split those ICAO's into a few flights around Europe? What suggestions would you have for something like this? I would really like to have the expert advise from you and Joe on this subject.

It is great that the WWT tour flights are going to be moved to this forum for all to read and enjoy. Jeff is a great guy for doing this too. I really did enjoy your story about the WWT adventure you and Joe had together. That was fantastic! I would like to know if I may copy and paste your story into a .pdf file so that I may have it as a reference to read up on once and while, and to share it with my colleagues at Air Canada. Would you mind if I did that?

I will wait for your response on this.  In the mean time, I am ready for the great adventure starting on Friday!

You have an awesome day Ole, and we'll chat some other time when both of us are not too swamped with work etc.

Cheers.

Sincerely,

Garrick.

Founder / CEO

Post #3820
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:45:02 PM

Garrick.

My posting on the WWT is a public document. Of course you can use it for whatever you like.

See you around...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3821
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:57:52 PM

FSFlyingSchool Captain

Well thank you Ole!

When I finish converting the story(s) from your WWT posts, I will send you a copy via email in a .pdf Adobe File to keep for your memories.

My Email Address is public, so here is mine: garrick.pattenden@gmail.com .

Have a good one!

Cheers,

Garrick.

Founder / CEO

Post #3822
Posted Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:27:26 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:01:26 PM
Hi Ole,

What a fantastic post and great flight simming achievement.  The longest tour I have done was Newcastle to Newcastle (that is Newcastle, England to Newcastle Australia)  - probably just over half what you'd fly to do the whole globe!

Best regards,

David.

Durham, England

Post #3914
Posted Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:49:54 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! - *big bow*

Hope it can inspire others to fly around the world, or other long tours. Flying with a purpose is the most important thing, (Philosophy from a Dane ) and FSX/FS2004 and FSFlyingSchool is just the key to that.

Fly on Gentlemen!

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3947
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:01am