FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

New user Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:28:13 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Frequent Flyer
Last Login: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:26:22 AM
G'day all

I have just done my first flight using FS Flight School - very enjoyable! I can see that I am going to have to read the manual completely. The programme did determine my varios flight modes correctly and tracked my flightplan. I flew from O'hare to Meigs in the C172 -- it determined that my landing was a good one - except that I wasn't on the centreline and did not taxi straight afterwards.

I am going to have to tell all my mates at VOZ and AVSIM about this place.

Thanks

Barry
Post #319
Posted Friday, November 24, 2006 6:27:42 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:22:17 AM
>> I have just done my first flight using FS Flight School - very enjoyable!

Glad you like it!

>> I can see that I am going to have to read the manual completely.

Reading all of the manual is highly recommended, as FSFlyingSchool can be configured in lots of ways. The manual also introduces you to all of the available features (e.g. circuits, visual approaches, etc).

>> I am going to have to tell all my mates at VOZ and AVSIM about this place.

Thanks

Post #320
Posted Friday, November 24, 2006 1:09:57 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi John

A couple of questions please.

When I fly a Flying School a/c , do I have to fill in the flap settings and other data on the aircraft page - or is this just for when I select the user specs.

Second, when doing a simple flight using a Fsim flight plan , the FlightSim school data does not seem to recognise my OBS1 setting - and hence tells me I landed on the wrong runway heading

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

barry
Post #321
Posted Friday, November 24, 2006 1:49:22 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi John

Just a couple of questions.

When flying a Flying School a/c ( with that selected on the a/c page) do I have to fill in the IAS data and flap settings - or does it get that info from the FSR file?

On a simple flight with a Fsim flightplan loaded, the programme does not appear to want to accept my OBS1 setting - hence when I land it tells me that I landed on the wrong runway heading.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Barry
Post #322
Posted Saturday, November 25, 2006 3:05:59 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Baz from Beenleigh (11/24/2006)
Hi John

A couple of questions please.

When I fly a Flying School a/c , do I have to fill in the flap settings and other data on the aircraft page - or is this just for when I select the user specs.

Second, when doing a simple flight using a Fsim flight plan , the FlightSim school data does not seem to recognise my OBS1 setting - and hence tells me I landed on the wrong runway heading

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

barry

Hi there Baz - thanks for trying FSFS!

You only need to fill in the data on an aircraft if it is not already present in your FSFS aircraft folder. You'll know this because FSFS will disconnect if it detects that your are flying and aircraft it knows very little about.

Note that even if this happens, FSFS should be able to detect the flap positions in degrees for you, if nothing else. You will see these at the aircraft page.

If FSFS does not know the aircraft, check if it has been recently added to the FSFS list by clicking on the "Aircraft" link on our web page - which will take you to The Hanger on this (here!) forum.

If it's not there, then you can add the data yourself. It is important to use the data the manufacturer of the virtual aircraft used - this may differ from real aviation data on the aircraft... and indeed we know of several cases where this is true...

The best places to look for this data are the aircraft.cfg, _ref.htm, _check.htm and .air files in FS.

If all else fails, find the real aircraft data (usually available somewhere on the web) and use that, but be sure to fly the plane around and lower and raise gear and flaps, etc to make sure things are what you'd expect.

At the aircraft page, in the "Data Source" click "User Specified Data". Type the data into the aircraft page and save it by pressing the "Save User Data" button.

This creates your own .FSU file which FSFS will use so you can fly the plane - that's it!

Please, please - if you take the time to do this, share the .FSU file with others by posting it on this forum. We'll check it over and post it into The Hanger so users around the world can take to the skies using the data you provided.

Regarding your second item, make sure that you load your FS flight plan into FSFS at the FSFS flight plan page or FSFS will not know about it - it sounds like you already have this covered.

You need to tell FSFS which runway you are landing at if FSFS knows the visual approaches to the airport - you will see a runway list at the flight plan page.

We've never had a report of a failure of FSFS to detect NAV1 OBS's setting - is this happening frequently or just sometimes, or just once?

Could you post your FS flight plan and your htm FSFS log book to this forum so we can take a look at some of the details of such a flight? 

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #323
Posted Saturday, November 25, 2006 12:57:47 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thanks for that Squadron Leader

Please ignore my last question about the OBS - this was an error on my part. The programme's recogntion of the OBS setting works fine.

Another question though please - Is it possible to save the log book entry for a flight. The logbook works OK for me - but I can't seem to find any way to save an entry , and the programme does not appear to do it automatically.

Thanks once again for this nice programme. I have always considered Fsim a bit too easy to fly. For example, I have known that there are max speeds for different flap deployments - but in the Sim, you can deploy flaps at any speed without a problem . Now, with FS Instructor, I get scolded if I use flaps incorrectly -- good one!

Barry
Post #325
Posted Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:43:08 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words Baz - and good to hear the OBS is not a problem.

As to the log book, the information you see on the screen in FSFS after the flight ends is saved automatically as a HTM file in the PilotRoster folder in FSFS. You should be able to see this at any time you choose by clicking on the "View Full Pilot Log Book" button on the FSFS Log Book page. In fact, the information you see in the file is a little more detailed than that you see on the screen after the flight ends.

This builds into a handy record of all your flights with FSFS and is a handy way to monitor your fabulous progress!

Regarding flap speeds etc - we couldn't agree more. Our goal is to encourage virtual pilots to worry about little things like wrecking their flaps - they just might come in useful at the next landing...

In full versions of the software, the pilot can of course submit his/her score to the web and that's where we all get a chance to prove just how darned good we are with our favorite aircraft.

Thanks again for the input and the questions.

Let us know how you get on. 

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #327
Posted Sunday, November 26, 2006 1:01:54 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thanks Squadron Leader

My log for each flight does not seem to be saving itself. There is no HTM file in the Pilots Roster folder and when I click on the "View full log button" , it says that nothing has been saved. I thought that perhaps this feature does not work in the demo.

Regards

barry
Post #332
Posted Monday, November 27, 2006 2:59:19 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Last Login: Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:22:17 AM
Baz from Beenleigh (11/26/2006)

My log for each flight does not seem to be saving itself. There is no HTM file in the Pilots Roster folder and when I click on the "View full log button" , it says that nothing has been saved. I thought that perhaps this feature does not work in the demo.

This beta version allows the pilot to do everything except:
1. Fly outside of the Chicago area.
2. Submit scores to the FSFlyingSchool.com score tables.

The in program log book is filled out once a landing/flight/circuit is completed. At this point the data is also saved in a HTM file inside the "PilotRoster" folder (usually C:\Program Files\FSFlyingSchool\PilotRoster). The file will use the same name as the current pilot, so by default it'll be LightSpeed.htm

What's the name of your current pilot?

Can you perform a landing and see if the file is created? If not then please tell us!

A screenshot of the in program log book (with data in it) would also be useful.

Thanks,
John.

Post #335
Posted Monday, November 27, 2006 9:08:58 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Last Login: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:51:09 AM
I had this problem when I first switched to Beta 2 - I had forgotten to select a pilot. I suspect that this may be the cause? In the 'Pilots' tab you need to either select one of the existing, or create your own 'new' pilot.

Rich

Post #340
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:41am