Voice automation error

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Voice automation error Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 3:58:54 PM
Howdy.  

I am a new user running FSFlyingSchool with MSFS2020 on Windows 10.  I am having problems with the dreaded voice automation error. Forgive me if this has been covered / solved before.  I did try to search for a solution in the forums.

I have two different sound setups.  In one configuration I use my laptop's built-in speakers & microphone.  In the other I use an HP Reverb G2 VR headset, which is equipped with it's own headphones and microphone.  I am not 100% sure of the sequence I took in setting up the FSFS Voice Pack. I am in the situation where FSFS works with the VR headset but gives me an automation error when trying to FSFS with the headset disconnected.  I have some success when trying to use the laptop built-in input/output device while the headset is connected but nothing but automation errors while it is disconnected.  While it is connected, I have tried unsuccessfully at trying various combinations of setting FSFS' sound card setup and Windows selection of output/input devices.  Many of the combinations and results are quite baffling.  The bottom line is that I can get, at various times, MSFS and FSFS to independently output audio to the VR headset and internal speakers, and get FSFS to listen on either the VR headset or internal microphone, but never get MSFS & FSFS to both use the laptops internal speakers and microphone.  I would love to work with you to figure out this wonky behavior.   I do believe that at least some of the problem lies with FSFS' handling of the audio input/devices.

I have verified that there is nothing in my system using either microphone.   I am on a Dell G7 running Windows 10 Home with current service packs.  

Regards,
Steve
Post #14342
Posted Monday, April 26, 2021 9:12:12 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi Steve:

Thanks for all the data - this helps solve things faster.

In general - the automation error will occur if the configuration of sound equipment has been changed since it worked.

This was often the case of something which was used with success subsequently being unplugged. Next time the user presses CONNECT in FSFlyingSchool, FSFlyingSchool will attempt to listen for the microphone and an error will occur.

If the user told FSFlyingSchool not to listen - the error ends. If the user plugs whatever got unplugged back in - the error ends.

Usually there is only one card on the PC which will work.

This is a rare problem - it is not a common one. There are reports of it of course here at the forum, but it has only happened to a few folks in 15 years of FSFlyingSchool - it is caused by unique configurations on the PC, or by unpredictable/unusual use of equipment by the user.

Does the above help describe what is occurring on your PC?

If you can get it to listen to you and you save the settings - and don't change them - the error should not occur.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any questions.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14343
Posted Monday, April 26, 2021 12:02:42 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 3:58:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

The explanation was not helpful. As a Windows software developer myself, the behavior strongly suggests that there is a problem in FSFS and not the system. In terms of where I stand now, if I disconnect the VR headset, I am unable to use the voice facility without the exception. In that situation, there is only one input & output device present in the system. Regardless of the sound card setting I use in FSFS, it will not work. So I am stuck. I am forced to use the headset. If it breaks, so does my ability to use the voice feature. Surely this is abnormal behavoir? Every other application I have behaves appropriately with respect to handling of audio input/output. In terms of my testing, I restart MSFS and FSFS after each configuration change in either the applications or operating system.

I understand that this particular problem is probably a low priority for you given that not to many folks are having issue. If you are interested in investigating this problem, my time and equipment are at your disposal.

Regards,
Steve
Post #14344
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2021 1:13:37 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi Steve:

Thanks for your reply.

This correspondence will contain via email.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14345
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:38am