Display Data shortcut keys does nothing

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Display Data shortcut keys does nothing Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, March 09, 2019 3:53:22 PM
I purchased FS Flying School 2019 (for Prepar3d v4) yesterday (2/28/2019).
I've read the FS Flying School 2019 Manual.

Per the Manual (if I understand it correctly), I do the following things:
1. Start P3D
2. Start scenario (C172 cold and dark)
3. Execute startup checklist
4. Ensure all the controls/avionics are working
5. Generate/load flight plan within P3Dv4
6. Start FS Flying School 2019 application
7. Load flight plan (same one loaded within P3D) within FSFlyingSchool 2019
8. Click on "Connect" button within FS Flying School 2019
9. Press [Ctrl-Shift-D] in order to see NAV 1 OBS setting, Current Waypoint number and ID, Current Flight Mode, and Type of Aircraft Data in use by FSFlyingSchool (I wasn't yet flying circuits, so I had no expectation of seeing the Current Circuit Leg)
10. I see no evidence that pressing [Ctrl-Shift-D] results in displaying the data listed in step 9, above.

I searched the forum and found another poster's comment about using the [Ctrl-Shift-D] shortcut keys and nothing happening. I understood your response was that must be due to not being in the aircraft. I'm not sure what that means. My view of the cockpit instrument panel from the pilot's seat and view of the local scenery through the cockpit windows suggests I am inside the airplane. My ability to control the plane's control surfaces and avionics suggests that I am inside the airplane. Perhaps my expectation (of precisely where I should see the display of the above listed information is to be found) is faulty.

Page 34 of the FS Flying School Manual says, "You can always have FSFlyingSchool tell you what flight mode you are in by asking it to display
essential data in P3D using the Display Data shortcut keys."

This sentence leads me to understand that I should see the information displayed within the P3D simulation, perhaps similar to where I'm able to see frame rates and other information by pressing [Shift-Z]. Is that where I should expect to see the information? If not, where precisely should I be looking for the information to be displayed when I press [Ctrl-Shift-D]?

Once I press the "Connect" button within FSFlyingSchool, I normally minimize FSFlyingSchool as I do not have enough monitor space to keep it open while flying. However, when I could not find information displayed within P3D, I maximized the FSFlyingSchool application window to see if that information is displayed somewhere within the FSFlyingSchool application. I did not see the information displayed within the FSFlyingSchool application.

I expect that the display function must be working and that I must simply be looking for it in the wrong place.

Please point me in the right direction and/or explain where I've gone wrong.

Thank you.

Scott

Scott
Post #13744
Posted Saturday, March 02, 2019 2:40:29 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi Scott:

Thank you for your detailed report.

It suggests that FSFlyingSchool is not detecting the keystroke combination that you are pressing, as if it were it would display the information you have described on the screen in P3D whenever you are in an aircraft - as opposed to at a menu screen.

In order for the keystroke combination to be detected it is essential that the pilot gets into a plane in the simulator before the FSFlyingSchool application is started from Windows.

You have indicated that you are doing this; I just needed to make absolutely clear that this has to be done in this precise manner.

If this keystroke combination is not being detected then the keystroke combinations which are required to advance or back-up the flight mode will not be detected either.

So I need you to report back to let me know if these are being detected which you can check by listening to what the instructor says.

It will also help if you turn on the FSFlyingSchool text captions so that they are displayed on your P3D screen when you are in an aircraft as these will show you what the instructor is saying and you should also you should always see the instructor saying something when you change the flight mode by using the keystroke combination.

If we are able to establish that FSFlyingSchool is indeed being started only after you are in an airplane and that nevertheless the keystroke combination is not being detected then we need to look at the configuration of P3D and all other aspects of your PC to determine if there are any other applications running at the same time which could interfere with FSFlyingSchool's ability to detect the keystroke combination.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13747
Posted Saturday, March 02, 2019 12:18:02 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thank you for your reply.

1. I confirm I am in the airplane cockpit and am able to manipulate cockpit controls prior to initiating FS Flying School.
2. I confirm I am able to execute [Ctrl-Shift-Z] and {Ctrl-Shift-X] resulting in the instructor confirming the change in Flight Mode some of the time. Some times it works, some times it does not. I am currently unable to discern the conditions upon which it works and does not work.
3. I confirm I checked the "Display Captions in simulator" box in the Pilots screen. I see no captions in P3D, even when changing the Flight Mode seems to work (indicating FSFlyingSchool recognizes the keyboard combinations.)

Scott
Post #13749
Posted Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:32:01 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi:

The problem then is that the text display sent from FSUIPC to P3D is not shown.

FSFlyingSchool text captions are displayed using the text features of FSUIPC.

I understand that you are using a registered version of FSUIPC.

The registered version gives you the ability to control the way that text is displayed.

Have you changed the way in which text is displayed in the options in the FSUIPC program?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13754
Posted Wednesday, March 06, 2019 8:25:24 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Correct, I am using a registered version of FSUIPC.

Within FSUIPC,on the "About" tab, I confirmed that "FSUIPC multiline display window" check box is checked.

The "Hide all single line messages" check box is not checked.

Within the sim, Shift+Z toggles the red-lettered messages (containing FPS, Fuel%, Lat/Long, etc) on and off nominally.

Still no FS Flying School messages are displayed.

Scott
Post #13758
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:00am