Microphone problem revisited

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Microphone problem revisited Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, July 09, 2016 6:21:26 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:30:33 AM
Hello all, after a two-year hiatus, I decided to take the plunge and dive into FSPS 2016 Pro for P3D. I surely thought that, maybe, perhaps, hopefully the voice feature would be rectified by now. But, to my disappointment, it still will NOT recognize any of my three USB microphones.

I have seen several posts on this topic and most seem to abruptly stop without resolution. What I find utterly frustrating is within FSPS, there is a link to set up the MIC using windows config and all is functional. Add to that, FS2Crew functions beautifully and this proves to me that it is NOT a MIC issue.

There is something inside FSPS that is broken, surely (you should have a function in the main GUI that has a test for audio!). So, I assume you will say that if it works with windows, it should work with FSPS. But it does not. Is it because it is a USB mic? There has to be a diagnostic somewhere that will pinpoint the problem, keeping in mind that I have no problems elsewhere. I do not want to troubleshoot the problem inside windows; I want to troubleshoot the problem inside FSPS!

Regards,
Mario Di Lauro

Mario Di Lauro
Post #12690
Posted Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:08:45 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi Mario:

Just for clarity when this is read by 3rd parties I think that when Mario says "FSPS" he is referring to "FSFS" or FSFlyingSchool.

The key point in the resolution of such a case is that while we are occasionally contacted by a pilot who has trouble getting FSFS to respond to the microphone, this is a very rare thing.

In the vast majority of installations, it all works.

USB headsets and microphones are fine.

As this is a support issue, I have to ask obvious questions - have you tried all the different sound cards on your PC at the settings screen of FSFS with all of your microphones? It is our experience that in most cases only one of the cards listed there will work.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12691
Posted Sunday, July 10, 2016 1:00:57 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Thanks for the reply. I have tried and saved all three sound card settings. I can get the audio coming through the headphones on all three usb mic sets but for the life of me, not one of the mics are functional. I must stress that the mic are clearly functional within Microsoft Speech Recognition and FS2Crew. So what makes FSPS different?

Mario Di Lauro
Post #12692
Posted Monday, July 11, 2016 1:26:01 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Mario:

This is very puzzling - here are some ideas.

Speech input is working with Windows and other applications - so this is an excellent starting point.

- It is essential that Windows is not listening to you when you launch FSFS - is this certainly the case?

- Are you using any other add-on sound related software on the PC which could potentially affect speech input (besides FS2Crew)? Skype? Voip? Etc?

- You must start your simulator and get into a plane before starting FSFS - is this being done?

- What setting do you have at the settings screen of FSFS for "Voice Command - Status"?

Please let me know.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12693
Posted Monday, July 11, 2016 11:43:25 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

OK here are some answers for you:

- It is essential that Windows is not listening to you when you launch FSFS - is this certainly the case? --> Windows voise activation is deactivated

- Are you using any other add-on sound related software on the PC which could potentially affect speech input (besides FS2Crew)? Skype? Voip? Etc? --> I do not use FS2crew (nor any other voice-related software while using FSPS)

- You must start your simulator and get into a plane before starting FSFS - is this being done? --> Yes sir!

- What setting do you have at the settings screen of FSFS for "Voice Command - Status"? --> ON - Listen at all times

I have run out of ideas! Too bad - loving the program otherwise.

Mario Di Lauro
Post #12694
Posted Monday, July 11, 2016 12:05:10 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Me again - a shot in the dark. Is it possible that voice pack is not installed and/or not properly activated?

Mario Di Lauro
Post #12695
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:32:03 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Mario:

Thanks for the answers - you are operating the program just as it should be done.

I imagine you are using FSFS PRO 2016 for P3Dv3? If so - what version?

If so - it is not possible for the Voice Command Packs to be missing as they are built into the product now. They work wherever FSFS works in the simulated world.

Please try this if you have not already - turn on 'captions' at the pilots screen and let me know if, when you are flying or taxiing with FSFS, you see "Roger" displayed at all in the captions when you say something.

Post #12696
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:18:40 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Thanks again for the help. I will try one last time to get it going but in case, I am using version 3.2.2.16659 of P3D.

I do have it set up to display captions.

So for my final tests, let me ask you: if I am sitting in the aircraft and THEN I launch FSPS, the instructor will begin his "it is a good idea to check you ailerons, rudder" etc advice.

What would be a simple fool-proof voice command to test if its working at that point. I usually ask for "sky condition".

Mario Di Lauro
Post #12697
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:30:11 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Mario:

Firstly - thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to report it clearly and in detail - this helps us try to solve the issue and it is also of enormous help to the wider community when other pilots need information for themselves.

>> Thanks again for the help. I will try one last time to get it going but in case, I am using version 3.2.2.16659 of P3D.

Excellent! Can you also tell me - which version of FSFS are you using?

>> I do have it set up to display captions.

Good.

>> So for my final tests, let me ask you: if I am sitting in the aircraft and THEN I launch FSPS, the instructor will begin his "it is a good idea to check you ailerons, rudder" etc advice.

Indeed. He will not say this for a few seconds as FSFS always waits a little while for the simulator to 'calm down' before looking at anything as otherwise FSFS can get odd readings from the simulator when it has just loaded.

TIP - as explained in the manual, you can always get a 'comms check' from the instructor by changing the frequency of COM2 - this will cause the instructor to clear his/her throat. In testing I just quickly type C2X which toggles to the standby frequency. But note that this will only work if the standby frequency is different!
When you hear the instructor, this confirms that FSFS is running and connected to your simulator and that audio output is working.

>> What would be a simple fool-proof voice command to test if its working at that point. I usually ask for "sky condition".

Good point as many of the commands are context sensitive.

You can use "sky condition" or "can you hear me" but I recommend "ground speed" as it is just 2 syllables and does not vary much in its spoken form. You will get a ground speed even if stopped with the engine off.

Final note - the product is "FSFS" or FSFlyingSchool - I am not sure if by FSPS you are referring to something else, but I just need to be clear for ourselves and for others.

Post #12698
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:31:16 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Indeed I am referring to FSFlyingSchool. Thanks again - l will continue investigating.

Mario Di Lauro
Post #12699
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:11am