A few questions on landing

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

A few questions on landing Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:42:11 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:36:55 AM
Hello!

I'm having some lessons with Mr Smith, but noticed the few items below. It was reproducible on two flights from KTRK to KTVL, quite a short flight in the A2A Cherokee 180.

1) I set the ILS of KTVL before taking off, and the instructor correctly tells me it's the ILS for that airport and the runway 18.

When I start the landing phase he says there is no glide scope and it will be a visual approach unless I setup nav 1. If I quickly swap the frequency for nav 1, then he realizes it's for the ILS and changes to ILS landing rating, otherwise it's visual rules.

I was expecting him to know that when nav 1 is already setup before entering landing phase.

Is that the intended behaviour? Does it need to change after declaring the landing phase, or just before?

2) In either type of approach (visual or ILS), near the end he says several times I'm too high, but the papi lights are correct and if I go even lower I risk touching down before the threshold. I should check again the glide scope indicator, I suppose he's only monitoring this instrument, but he seems to do so for visual landing too.

What criteria is he using to check the glide scope?

3) Each time I get a remark and penalty because my throttle should be idle. Last landing it was idle (full backward) before touch-down (which I didn't find very comfortable) but he gave this remark nontheless. The time before it was about 900-1000 RPM, just enough to flare more comfortably, same result.

When exactly is this monitored and should be idle? It's probably best to keep the engine a little above the strict minimum.

Thanks
Post #12604
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:11:20 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi:

Glad to help!

1. It's hard to know the precise details of each flight of course as there are 100s of variables, but the design of FSFS is such that the instructor will automatically evaluate the landing as an ILS approach if NAV1 is tuned to an ILS and it is receiving when you are in landing mode.

Indeed - it is essential to make sure NAV1 is NOT receiving an ILS signal should you want to perform a visual approach.

2. The instructor looks only at the GS indicator (nothing else) when doing an ILS approach. On a visual approach the instructor computes if the aircraft is above or below the GS based on AAL and distance to the runway. It is sometimes the case, especially with add-on scenery, that this will not agree precisely with the VASI or PAPI signal, but this is not common. Note - for best results always be sure to generate your runway data as described in the FSFS manual.

3. The instructor always wants the throttle(s) to be idle at touchdown. Are you using external controls such as a physical throttle quadrant or other similar device? It is sometimes the case that when these are in the idle (fully aft) position they are not actually seen as "0%" by the simulator and may need adjustment.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12605
Posted Friday, April 15, 2016 11:28:09 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:36:55 AM
Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

I think the confusion for (1) comes from a particular ILS not providing the glide scope at KTVL, the GS indicator was off. When I tried with a proper ILS signal elsewhere I didn't have this double-radio-switching to do, the instructor was directly aware of the correct approach type. It remains that for a visual approach it's not easy to know exactly what he wants, since I can only rely on the papi lights (I may be unaware of other marks though, still learning).

And (3): I was actually too late in my previous attempts, this time I heard him say 10 to 15 ft - which is written in the documentation. with the throttle back in due time, the remark disappeared, though it sometimes makes for a harsh landing. I'll probably keep my bad habit but only give in to them when he's not looking

Post #12606
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:41am