FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Adding Aircraft to X-Plane Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:29:59 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 31, 2015 8:41:32 AM
Trying to add and aircraft to FSFS aircraft folder. After reading the manual I thought I understood. Went to the X-Plane aircraft folder and copied the C152 .acf file (over 2,000 kb) and pasted it in the FSFS aircraft folder. Added the xp prefix and the fsr file extension. That was not correct. Found a download on the FSFS forum that had my 152 with a fsr extension and was only 1 kb like all the other aircraft in the FSFS aircraft folder. Added the xp prefix. Nope not even close. Then I found a Carenado 152 add-on pack, but it looks like it is only for FSFS Pro, not X-Plane.
After I registered FSFS for X-Plane, I was able to fly out of my home field, Johnson Co KJNX, but only with the aircraft that were in the demo. I need some help please. I would very much like to train with the Carenado 152.
Thank you.
Post #12277
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:50:51 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Hi:

Thanks for your interest in FSFS for XP10!

In summary, by the time you have the file working you will have a simple text file, readable in notepad, created by you, called something like

xpc152.fsu

in the Aircraft folder of FSFlyingSchool.

The instructions in the manual are very detailed and step by step - so I have included them here rather than write them out again.

The key point is the file starts with "xp" and ends with ".fsu" and the part in between those has to be the EXACT name of the plane's folder in XP10.

".FSR" files are created by us - ".FSU" files are created by users.

Note also the section which says:

"Go to the FSFlyingSchool Aircraft folder on your PC and make a copy of the file: xpYourPlaneFilenameHere.fsu"

Please let me know how you get on!

Adding Support for Extra Aircraft

As you explore the skies with FSFlyingSchool, you will occasionally decide to fly an aircraft which
currently has no corresponding FSFlyingSchool data file. You can be the first person to create one!
Each aircraft has its own FSR file, bearing the aircraft’s X-Plane folder name and preceded by the prefix
'xp'.

For example, the FSFlyingSchool file to match the plane:
P180 Avanti Ferrari Team
would be
xpP180 Avanti Ferrari Team.fsr

The aircraft FSR files are all in the FSFlyingSchool Aircraft folder.

In order to add a new aircraft to FSFlyingSchool:

1. Collect all the data you can about the aircraft in question. An obvious place to start is any X-Plane 10
reference file or X-Plane 10 checklist file supplied by the publishers of the simulated aircraft.

2. FSFlyingSchool stores user created data in 'FSU' files and you are about to create one. FSU files
contain User Specified Data for aircraft flown in FSFlyingSchool.

3. Go to the FSFlyingSchool Aircraft folder on your PC and make a copy of the file:
xpYourPlaneFilenameHere.fsu

4. Change the name of the file to match the name of the X-Plane folder for the airplane you wish to add,
for example:
If you wanted to add support for a plane in an X-Plane folder called:
Spitfire
you would need to copy xpYourPlaneFilenameHere.fsu and create a file called:
xpSpitfire.fsu
Open that file using Windows Notepad.

5. Enter all relevant data into the IAS Data, Flap positions, Flap speeds etc.

[flaps.0]
flaps-position.1=0 (if the plane has flaps put the first setting in degrees here - otherwise zero)
flaps-position.2=0 (if the plane has flaps put the second setting in degrees here - otherwise zero)
(and you can identify up to 7 more flap settings)
[reference speeds]
IASTooFastForFlaps0=0 (if the plane has flaps put the first flaps speed here - otherwise zero)
IASTooFastForFlaps1=0 (if the plane has flaps put the second flaps speed here - otherwise zero)
(and you can identify up to 7 more flap speeds)
IASStallCruise=0 (put the stall speed with flaps up here)
IASStallLanding=0 (put the stall speed in landing configuration here)
MaxGearExtension=0 (put the maximum gear extension speed here - otherwise zero)
[misc settings]
RetractableGear=0 ( put the number 1 here if true - otherwise zero)
FlapsDownDuringTaxi=0 ( put the number 1 here if true - otherwise zero)
Spoilers=0 ( put the number 1 here if true - otherwise zero)
FloatPlane=0 ( put the number 1 here if true - otherwise zero)

You should only set values for the fields that are already there - if you add new lines or fields, they will
cause the file not to function. Once this has been done, save the FSU file you have created in the
FSFlyingSchool Aircraft folder.

You are now ready to connect FSFlyingSchool to X-Plane 10 and fly that aircraft with FSFlyingSchool
using the User Specified Data.

FSFlyingSchool will remember that you want to fly this aircraft with your own User Specified Data.
You will not be able to submit your scores to the FSFlyingSchool website when flying with User
Specified Data, but you will have your performance scored and evaluated by your FSFlyingSchool
instructor as you fly, and the results recorded in your FSFlyingSchool log book.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12279
Posted Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:51:16 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

After reading your post I realized what I was doing wrong. I failed to scroll down to the bottom of the FSFS Aircraft list for the correct .fsu file. I went to my X-Plane aircraft folder and made note of the .acf file name I needed for the 152, Car_C152II.acf. I copied the .fsu file from the FSFS Aircraft folder to my X-Plane 10 folder where I could work with it. I renamed the xp.yourplanefilenamehere.fsu file to xp.Car_C152II.fsu. I opened that file in notepad. Made the changes I could. Then copied xp.Car_C152II.fsu file back to the FSFS Aircraft folder. Launched X-Plane, then FSFS, still nothing. Maybe something went wrong when I made the original Demo download. At any rate, I'm going to back away from this for awhile. I'll try again another time. Thanks for all your help.
WT Bailey
Post #12290
Posted Friday, August 28, 2015 12:56:17 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi WT:

When you are ready to look at it again I have a very simple action for you that will most likely solve the case.

You mention that the file you created is called:

"xp.Car_C152II.fsu"

Sadly - this is not quite what you needed to do.

As the instructions explain, "xp" has to be added to the front of the file name - whereas you have added "xp." and this is not correct.

So... simply change the name of the file you put into the Aircraft folder of FSFS so that it is: "xpCar_C152II.fsu "

And then... start up XP10 and get into that plane and then start up FSFS Mult Planes and finally press connect.

Please let me know how you get on.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12292
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:00:34 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Last Login: Monday, June 19, 2017 6:31:02 PM
I just purchased and installed the X-Plane package deal for $34.95 and took my first dedicated C172 flight (using Carenado's C172II Skyhawk instead of the default C172) and all aspects of the instructor guidance worked great, including the speech recognition. Fantastic product!

QUESTION: I want to create data files for my other X-Plane aircraft and I'm wondering if the name of the data file must match exactly the name of the *.acf file?

For example, if I create a data profile for Carenado' C337 Skymaster where the acf file is named Car_C337.acf, does my data file need to be named xpCar_C337.fus, or can it be named something else, like xpCarenado C337 Skymaster.fsu?

Thanks.

UPDATE: After some testing it appears that FSFlyingSchool Multi-Plane wants the *.fsu file to be named as a combination of the aircraft folder's name plus registration (aka livery). For example, in order to get FSFlyingSchool to recognize my Carenado PC12 with registration HB-FCL, I had to name the *.fsu file xpCarenado PC12 v1.3 HB-FCL.fsu. As Carenado provides six different liveries each with unique registration numbers, I'm presuming I'll need a separate *.fsu file for each that I want the FSFlyingSchool instructor along.

I'm presuming this is the case for all X-Plane aircraft.
Post #12298
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2015 2:21:10 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Well I guess at 67years of age my forehead has become quite thick. That one little "." would definitely mess it up. After correcting the file to read "xpCar_C152ll.fsu",( I've tried C152II and C152ll), still not working. Must just be me. I have another aircraft, the Alabeo Piper Sport, wouldn't work either. I downloaded another Piper Sport from X-Plane.org, no luck there as well. I purchased the FSFS for X-Plane 172, it seems to work. Haven't fully tried it out but it at least stays connected. Guess I will learn with the 172.
Thanks again
Post #12299
Posted Monday, August 31, 2015 2:33:17 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Aquliam:

Great to read that you enjoying FSFS!

As you can imagine with computers - when it comes to file names, things need to be exact. A single extra, or missing, space or whatever will make the file name entirely useless.

So...

>> if the name of the data file must match exactly the name of the *.acf file?

...the name of the FSU file the pilot may choose to optionally create has to exactly match the name of the folder the plane is in, in X-Plane 10, but with "xp" added to the front and with the file extension ".fsu"

Depending on the plane, if it is in multiple folders, then you'd need an FSU file for each one.

If you are also finding that the livery of the plane has to be added to the file name - then this is something new to us! Many thanks for reporting it.

We will look into this.

Regardless - your ingenuity has solved this case for your installation on your PC and we congratulate you!

Post #12300
Posted Monday, August 31, 2015 3:00:33 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi GD:

Glad you are able to fly with the c172 edition! At least you're up and flying with us in that classic aircraft!

As to the files - it's all in the details...

>> After correcting the file to read "xpCar_C152ll.fsu",( I've tried C152II and C152ll), still not working.

Sadly, none of these will work as none of them are "xpCar_C152II.fsu".

"xpCar_C152ll.fsu" contains the letter "L" twice and this will not work.

"C152II" is not the name of the folder.

"C152ll" is not the name of the folder.

Rest assured that folks are enjoying other planes, but the file name must be exactly correct. The simplest way to get it right is to copy and paste the aircraft's folder name - do not attempt to type it as the slightest mistake will mean it will be quite useless.

Post #12301
Posted Monday, August 31, 2015 4:53:52 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Last Login: Monday, June 19, 2017 6:31:02 PM
...As you can imagine with computers - when it comes to file names, things need to be exact. A single extra, or missing, space or whatever will make the file name entirely useless...

Fortunately FSFS made this bit of sleuthing easy as the interface tells you the exact name of the file it is looking for.

In this and other ways I find this package thoughtfully designed and well executed. Thanks again for the great work!
Post #12303
Posted Monday, August 31, 2015 6:21:34 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Aquliam:

Many thanks for your kind words - I hope you enjoy your flights in your added aircraft!

Post #12304
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:47pm