Sound quality of FS FlyingSchool PRO is terrible!

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Sound quality of FS FlyingSchool PRO is... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:15:09 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 17, 2015 11:30:51 AM
OK, I've tried everything I can think of to get the sound set up correctly but, no joy. There seems to be different voices used and one of them is really annoying me with loudness and crackle. Even if I turn the computers speakers volume down the crackle is still there only at a lower volume. It is the person speaking voice that has the distortion. One word that comes to mind that really annoys me is when the instructor says "Elevation is XXX ft" it's all distorted. There are numerous places that the crackling voice appears.

Is there any way to correct this? It's really annoying me. Please help!

Please don't say it's my computer or sound card because I have NO PROBLEMS with sound on ANY other application or software!

Gene
Post #12227
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:18:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:09:25 AM
Hi:

Can you tell me for reference, which version of which product are you using and is it registered or in demo mode?

Regardless, most folks get the best results with the FSFS PRO 2015 volume set to 'normal' at the Aircraft screen of FSFS. This can be set for each aircraft here.

If this is too quiet or too loud then of course FSX/FS2004 or P3D can also be adjusted relative to it and indeed some add-on aircraft may also have their own settings in addition to this.

Distortion has sometimes been reported when the volume is not set to 'normal'.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12229
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:56:03 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi, thank you for getting back.

I just purchased FS Flight School PRO 2015 version 8.6.0 and it is registered. I've only been using it for a couple of days now. As I said I have tried everything including setting the instructor volume to "quietest" and it still sounds bad. Don't misunderstand me when I say sounds bad it's just parts of the sentence that is distorting. Perhaps it would be better if I sent you a short sample of what it sounds like on my PC. I can record the sound as I'm using it. Let me know and I'll get on it.

Thanks Gene

I just realized that I can add an attachment (although a very small one).
Here is some audio representative of what I am hearing.
Post #12231
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2015 8:21:09 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Gene:

Thanks for the sound file - and yes I can see that certain spoken sections are clearly distorted.

Unfortunately the distortion that occurs on some PCs appears to relate directly, not to the real world volume (how loud it sounds), but to the setting of the volume in FSFlyingSchool.

The 'normal' setting will, in almost all cases, produce the best result.

It is fair to say that on some PCs, any setting other than 'normal' is best not used.

If distortion still results, can you experiment with adjusting the volume on the PC or within your simulator?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12232
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:41:29 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

OK... not to sound rude but, are you speaking with knowledge and experience or are you making this crap up as you go along?

I did an analysis of the sound files included with the software and found that the formats are mostly - 1 Channel (Mono) - 11,025 Hz Sample Rate - 16 bit resolution. As far as Audio goes this is pretty much junk. The crackle and distortion has nothing at all to do with volume no matter how low or loud you put it. The defects were introduced when and how they were originally recorded, bad microphone techniques, bad EQ, no pop filter, no compression, no normalizing and so on.

I’m not gonna sit here and waste my time lowering and raising the volume to try and get these bad recordings to sound better!

I’ve found a better solution!

TURN THE SOUND from your software OFF!!!

Gene

Post #12233
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:53:00 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
On my PC, the sound of FSFlyingschool is quite different than what your example shows - couldn´t say why.

And I have to say that I have used FSFlyingSchool, and the sound of Mr. Smith and his co-instructors for 8 years now - and I have also been flying in real life - sitting in the captains seat in a small aircraft - and talking to the guy in the seat to my right - and in my opinion - FSFlyingSchool´s soundset - is spot on.

I think it is a great great feature that we have a real life person talking the voice files - rather than having a text-to-voice system, which could have been another way of dealing with the actual sound in FSFlyingSchool - that would have been awful and very very unrealistic.

I also know quite a few people, who uses FSFlyingSchool, and there seem to be a total consensus about how great the soundfiles sounds, when you sit and fly your favorite simulator, with Mr. Smith by your side.

So I don´t know why your experience is so different - but on my PC - in my Saitek Pro Flight Headset, the sound experience is simply ace.

I have been searching these forums and well there isn´t any great number of posts to suggest that your problem is at all common - quite the opposite - which complies totally with my experience.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #12234
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:48:57 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hello Ole,

I’m glad that you’re enjoying your experience with FS Flying School and Mr. Smith but, unfortunately for me I’m not. Seems as though no one knows why the sound is so screwed up (at least the owner and developer and moderators) but, I DO! As I said in my reply to the squadron guy the files are screwed up and it’s nothing to do with my PC or volume or incorrect settings!

I’ll say it again! THE AUDIO FILES ARE JUNK!!! There is no fixing something that is broken right from the core.

I too have the Saitek Pro Headset, Rudder Pedals and Yoke. And it’s not doing a damn thing for the shitty sound quality of the software.

You say you like the “real life person talking” and “it would have been awful” to have a Text-to-speech engine doing the talking. Well, I totally disagree with that. There are some things that he says that I cannot understand. I won’t even get into the other instructors voices because if they were my instructors I’d throw them out of the airplane at 6,000 ft. Hahaha…

I’m gonna work on creating my own sound files until then I’ll just leave the sound off because I can’t stand listening to that shit it's really annoying.

Thanks for your reply.
Gene
Post #12235
Posted Friday, August 14, 2015 6:09:50 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Gene:

(All readers - this post is also for the reference of anyone reading this thread - to understand the best settings in FSFS and our product design goals).

I publish the software and fully understand that you are not happy with the recordings.

As you may imagine, we chose to do them the way we did, using the format we chose, as this produces the result we were looking for.

If I play the files at the FSFS 'normal' setting on the several PCs we use here at FSInventions, they sound as we would expect, similar to ATC recordings, pilot recordings and even to many phone conversations.

Again, I fully understand that you are not happy with this.

If, alternatively, I play the files other than at the FSFS 'normal' setting, slight or even severe distortion can occur.

- Jeff Preston

Post #12236
Posted Friday, August 14, 2015 10:25:42 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Genewiz (8/13/2015)
Hello Ole,

I’m glad that you’re enjoying your experience with FS Flying School and Mr. Smith but, unfortunately for me I’m not. Seems as though no one knows why the sound is so screwed up (at least the owner and developer and moderators) but, I DO! As I said in my reply to the squadron guy the files are screwed up and it’s nothing to do with my PC or volume or incorrect settings!

I’ll say it again! THE AUDIO FILES ARE JUNK!!! There is no fixing something that is broken right from the core.

I too have the Saitek Pro Headset, Rudder Pedals and Yoke. And it’s not doing a damn thing for the shitty sound quality of the software.

You say you like the “real life person talking” and “it would have been awful” to have a Text-to-speech engine doing the talking. Well, I totally disagree with that. There are some things that he says that I cannot understand. I won’t even get into the other instructors voices because if they were my instructors I’d throw them out of the airplane at 6,000 ft. Hahaha…

I’m gonna work on creating my own sound files until then I’ll just leave the sound off because I can’t stand listening to that shit it's really annoying.

Thanks for your reply.
Gene

I can only repeat that the sound files on MY PC, does not, at all, sound as distorted as your sample - so SOMETHING is clearly different from my PC to yours.

real homan voice or text-to-speak... This if of course a totally personal opinion. I have used several programs using text-to-speak - and I cannot for the life of me, get any feeling of reality in them. Mr. Smith, who, and I have to emphasize this again - sounds exactly as I would expect, and as I have experienced in a real aircraft does give me that feeling.
I have no idea as of why he dosen´t sound like that on your PC - but in my humble opinion then, if the sound was as "shitty" as you feel - many many others would have commented on this over the years - and this is simply not the case.

I´ll leave it here - and continue my adventures - my happy adventures with Mr. Smith. If you produce a satisfactory set of soundfile - which satisfies your needs - then hopefully we shall all end up being happy, with this amazing piece of software.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #12237
Posted Friday, August 14, 2015 4:54:36 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

SquadronLeader (8/14/2015)
Hi Gene:

(All readers - this post is also for the reference of anyone reading this thread - to understand the best settings in FSFS and our product design goals).

I publish the software and fully understand that you are not happy with the recordings.

As you may imagine, we chose to do them the way we did, using the format we chose, as this produces the result we were looking for.

If I play the files at the FSFS 'normal' setting on the several PCs we use here at FSInventions, they sound as we would expect, similar to ATC recordings, pilot recordings and even to many phone conversations.

Again, I fully understand that you are not happy with this.

If, alternatively, I play the files other than at the FSFS 'normal' setting, slight or even severe distortion can occur.

- Jeff Preston

Hi Jeff,

Again, I would like to re-iterate the fact that the quality of the recordings has nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VOLUME AT WHICH THEY'RE PLAYED! Yes, at higher volumes the more imperfections of the recording are exaggerated and are much more noticeable at louder volumes.

So, your remedy is to play them at the “normal” setting so you can’t hear the shit that’s in (some not all) of the recordings. Right? This is like saying “Go out and buy your favorite bands recordings, but don’t listen to them at a high volume because they won’t sound good!” Nonsense. FSFS’ audio recordings are flawed and you and your co-workers refuse to admit it.

Quote: '(All readers - this post is also for the reference of anyone reading this thread - to understand the best settings in FSFS and our product design goals)'

You yourself admittedly write: 'If, alternatively, I play the files other than at the FSFS 'normal' setting, slight or even severe distortion can occur.'

Do you realize how ridiculous that statement is? The best settings? According to whom? Some people like things louder than others that’s why the developers gave us that option to use settings from ‘Quietest to Loudest’ right? I think you should re-think your 'Product Design Goals' and give use a product that works for everyone’s preferences.

Other people may not be complaining about this because it’s not worth their trouble. Or they, like me, just find the sound and the voices so annoying that they just keep the sound off. [/color]

In any case I’m going to put this topic to rest and just chalk the $50+ off to a waste of money since I know that no one’s going to listen to me anyway.

Gene-

Post #12238
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:10am