Will have to limit my use of FSFlying School... to many issues.

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Will have to limit my use of FSFlying... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:24:05 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:36:56 PM
Depending on when I connect to FSFlying School, the instructor may or may not recognize the settings of various things like strobe lights being on or off... I've tried toggling the switch after connecting but, the instructor still won't see it as having complied with his direction.

The total and complete insistence on the use of auto pilot is simply ridiculous. This is constant after takeoff in the Lear 45 so the pilot is not allowed manual control of the airplane... this makes absolutely zero sense.

The checklists are good for learning various procedures such as starting an unfamiliar aircraft from cold and dark.

Combine the above with the other problems I noted in my first post, and I find that the program simply does not live up to expectations.

Post #11920
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:06:01 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Alhefner (12/10/2014)
Depending on when I connect to FSFlying School, the instructor may or may not recognize the settings of various things like strobe lights being on or off... I've tried toggling the switch after connecting but, the instructor still won't see it as having complied with his direction.

The total and complete insistence on the use of auto pilot is simply ridiculous. This is constant after takeoff in the Lear 45 so the pilot is not allowed manual control of the airplane... this makes absolutely zero sense.

The checklists are good for learning various procedures such as starting an unfamiliar aircraft from cold and dark.

Combine the above with the other problems I noted in my first post, and I find that the program simply does not live up to expectations.

Hi there Alhefner. Allow me to butt in here. I am not a part of the development team for FlyingSchool, but I have been a user of FlyingSchool for 7+ years, and I hate to see new users not getting the benefits from FSFlyingSchool, that they can, and thus not recognizing the potential of the program, to improve your piloting skills immensely.

I see that your other post has been answered to, by Squadron Leader, and he is of course correct in his comments. For instance you can be in a situation where you are too high, and still descending too fast - It´s two different things.

And in this post I also see that you might not have read the manual closely enough. This is fine, if you feel the urge to jump out into it and get flying, but then you cannot expect FSFlyingSchool to behave to the exact liking of yours.

Take your points in this post.

In the "Pilots" tab, you can set FSFlyingSchool to monitor lights, but you also need to go to the "Aircraft" tab, and set WHICH lights you want the instructor to monitor. Strobe lights is one of the options here and if not checked, you won´t get monitoring of the strobe lights.

This way you can select which ones you want checked, so you can grow with the job so to speak. Have Smith monitor some lights, and then when you feel comfortable with those, you can add more, thus slowly becoming an ace pilot in a certain aircraft. Then when you change aircraft, you can repeat this. Pretty neat huh?

About the Autopilot "insistance". You can - in the "Aircraft" tab select which FGC options you want monitored. the heading, the speed and/or the altitude. If all on, then Smith will ask you to fly the Learjeg 45 as it is supposed to be flown in real life - using autopilot. It´s the safest way to fly an aircraft like the Learjet, and Smith knows this.

BUT - you can deselect any and all of those three options, and Smith will leave you fly the Learjet manually. Once again, this is very handy, as you can get accustomed with the aircraft, and slowly have the realism settings kick in, when you feel comfortable with it. A great way to learn to fly like the pros.

Remember that FSFlyingSchool is a highly sophisticated program, allowing you to turn all sorts of features for the instructor to monitor, on or off, so you can use FSFlyingSchool at the level of piloting, you currently are. Then add realism when you improve, as I said above.

As I also said above is that I have used FSFlyingSchool for more than seven years, and I can tell you that it has improved my flying skills like no other addon for my favorite flight simulator. But with each new version I always read the manual, so I know how to get the most out of the program.

Hope this can help you a little bit.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #11921
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:30:10 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:36:56 PM
Soooo, pilots new to the Lear 45 never go through the process of learning to fly the airplane manually but are just supposed to get it off the runway and hit the AP button? This program is supposed to be a learning tool that is advertised as something a person new to a given aircraft can use, and will be given guidance in, learning that aircraft. Part of that is having the instructor monitor ALL SYSTEMS but to have to stop the instructor from monitoring any system in order to keep him/her from insisting that AP ALWAYS be used is ridiculous.

I'm glad you like the program. It really does have promise and is indeed usable but...

I was going to give this program a big benefit of the doubt but, seeing the reply from the developer... I've had it! Such arrogance and refusal to even think there may be flaws is too much.
Post #11923
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:00:55 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:09:25 AM
Alhefner - based on your request in your other post, you will be contacted by our staff.

Many, many thanks to Ole, for taking up his free time to answer several questions. We greatly appreciate the involvement and help of members of the public who can help others by freely sharing their knowledge of and experience with FSFlyingSchool.

To all forum members - as we all know, Ole expresses the situation very well - FSFlyingSchool contains hundreds of different features and, as is the case with a real aircraft, is best used in combination with a thorough knowledge of the contents of its manuals.

The manuals explain the product in great detail and indeed there are 15 of them. Some folks find this dispiriting - others find it interesting.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11924
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:10am