several issues from a new user

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

several issues from a new user Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 16, 2013 11:39:00 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:27:33 AM
I am a new user of fs and have several questions and comments. I use FSX

1)I use the diamond katana (areoosoft diamond katana 4x) as my trainer how can I get FS to accept this plane. where do I find the approriate .fsr. file or settings.?

2) I created a flight plan with ILS landing on an airport runway  19L, when I approached the airport the instructor set the ILS to landing on 19R is this a bug? How can I set FS so that I always have to set the tuning of radio and nav manually my self? It must be an error in FS that you set the runway for landing at departure. The tower tell me which runway to land on when I am close to the airport. I have had flights where the instructor set ILS landings on runway, resulting in landin in strong tailwail wind. (I always use active sky or real weather when flying in fsx)

3) when I used the aerosoft katana 4x the instructor reported altitude exactly 1000 feet lower than the altimeter and FS gave screen information that I had passed way points many miles before i reached them. Is this related to inapproriate .fsr file.

the information and instruction on how to install new aircrafts in FS is wery poor.

haga200

Norway

Post #11086
Posted Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:25:41 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
haga200 (9/16/2013)
I am a new user of fs and have several questions and comments. I use FSX

1)I use the diamond katana (areoosoft diamond katana 4x) as my trainer how can I get FS to accept this plane. where do I find the approriate .fsr. file or settings.?

2) I created a flight plan with ILSlanding on an airport runway 19L, when I approached the airport the instructor set the ILS to landing on 19R is this a bug? How can I set FS so that I always have to set the tuning of radio and nav manually my self? It must be an error in FS that you set the runway for landing at departure. The tower tell me which runway to land on when I am close to the airport. I have had flights where the instructor set ILS landings on runway, resulting in landin in strong tailwail wind. (I always use active sky or real weather when flying in fsx)

3) when I used the aerosoft katana 4x the instructor reported altitude exactly 1000 feet lower than the altimeter and FS gave screen information that I had passed way points many miles before i reached them. Is this related to inapproriate .fsr file.

the information and instructionon how to install new aircrafts in FS is wery poor.

haga200

Norway

Hi there haga200

First of all, let me say that I am not an employee of FSInventions, but after seven years as a user, and beta tester of the program(s) I have gained at least some knowledge, so let me try to tell you what I know.

The Aerosoft version of the Diamond Katana is not one of the aircraft that is included in the FSFlyingSchool hanger - which means that is has no .fsr file attached to it. There is the Digital Aviations version, but its not the same product. I have the Aerosoft version myself, and can confirm that FSFlyingSchool doesn't recognize the aircraft.

So what FSFlyingSchool does, is to estimate the features of the aircraft, based on the files in the aircraft folder in FSX, and FSFlyingSchool actually does a pretty good job at the estimates, often made from pretty slobby written aircraft files. Still - far the majority of the estimates are dead on.

BUT if you are not satisfied with the estimates, you can create your own user- (.fsu) file. This is very easy, and very easily described on page 53 on in the manual. Here you can set different settings to your liking - or - to be more exact - to the correct values, should they not be so.

As for auto-tuning the ILS frequency. This is an OPTION, which you can set FSFlyingSchool to do for you, or you can revoke the "license" and FSFlyingSchool will stay away from the function, and let you have all the fun yourself. Many people like to have this tedious job done for them, but some - and I see you are among those, prefer to do it themselves. So its really cool that you can set it to auto - or have it on manual. On the "pilots" tab in the FSFlyingSchool program, you have - on the left side - on the lower half - a set of tick-boxes called "Automatic Radio Tuning Setup" and here you can set FSFlyingSchool to auto-tune ILS, ATIS and VOR, OR - have it leave it to you. So its not an error - its an option!

FSFlyingSchool will autoread the FSX flight plan (and in this there is no runway included - as you dont know what runway you will land at, if you let the wind decide) but to function, FSFlyingSchool sets the first available runway as the "active". You can always see this in the "Flight Plan" tab in the FSFlyingSchool program, in the bottom half of the screen, under "Flight Plan" there is a line called "Landing at runway" - and then a drop down list of all the runways available in the chosen airport, WITH ONE Chosen by FSFlyingSchool. You can simply wait until you get clearance from the ATC, then go to the option in FSFlyingSchool, and change to the runway the ATC set you up for. If you don't file a flightplan at all, FSFlyingSchool will choose whatever runway you are pointing at just before landing.

The last question, I am not qualified to answer, but I CAN say that it has not anything to do with an "inappropriate .fsr file" - as there IS no .fsr file for the 4X, but you can check the auto detected values, and change them into a .fsu file as I described above, and see if this changes anything. I would think not though, but I will leave this to the Squadron Leader.

Hope this will enlighten you some. :-)

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #11087
Posted Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:52:48 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Firstly - many thanks to Ole for his invaluable input. Ole is a frequent poster to the forum and FSFS's chief beta tester.

>> 1)I use the diamond katana (areoosoft diamond katana 4x) as my trainer how can I get FS to accept this plane. where do I find the approriate .fsr. file or settings.?

FSFS will function with any powered airplane with no extra input from the pilot. Adjustments can be made if desired as explained by Ole.

>> 2) I created a flight plan with ILSlanding on an airport runway 19L, when I approached the airport the instructor set the ILS to landing on 19R is this a bug? How can I set FS so that I always have to set the tuning of radio and nav manually my self? It must be an error in FS that you set the runway for landing at departure. The tower tell me which runway to land on when I am close to the airport. I have had flights where the instructor set ILS landings on runway, resulting in landin in strong tailwail wind. (I always use active sky or real weather when flying in fsx)

Ole has fully explained how to set NAV1 manually and how to alter the expected landing runway.

>> 3) when I used the aerosoft katana 4x the instructor reported altitude exactly 1000 feet lower than the altimeter and FS gave screen information that I had passed way points many miles before i reached them. Is this related to inapproriate .fsr file.

The instructor's altitude calls are always above ground level. As to the waypoints, FSFS does not have a problem tracking them - the logic has worked for many years. I can only imagine that perhaps the flight plan in FSFS at the time was not the same as that in FSX?

>> the information and instructionon how to install new aircrafts in FS is wery poor.

I believe this is the first such report we have received and I am very sorry that you have this opinion. Most reviewers in the professional press have given FSFS very high praise (for example, 4 Classic Product Awards from PC Pilot Magazine) and have often applauded the manual for its detail and completeness.

I hope Ole's pointers and my few comments help.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11088
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:40pm