FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Glidescope instructions Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, September 07, 2013 1:50:36 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 02, 2016 6:51:39 AM
Trying to land at EGCG - Strubby in Cessna 172 using instant approach leads to glide-slope problems. No ILS or VOR available, just VFR. I am told I am too high, reduce throttle - so I do. This then leads to either crashing into buildings/trees as too low, falling short of runway or stalling trying to miss obstacles. Can anyone PLEASE advise on glide-slopes. I have even tried using standard Rate of Descent given in various Publications and the Cessna 172 configuration table. How can I check what glide-slope I am on? All data (both verbal and written) does not seem to help me make a good landing. Also the height advice does not always match the altimeter reading - sometimes the instructor is 500ft out - Why? Can I alter the altimeter for QNH and QFE?

I make a better landing if I ignore the FS instructor! (not pretty but at least I manage to land in one piece)

Hope someone can help me solve these teething problems

Thanks all

olecyclops

Tally Ho
Post #11074
Posted Sunday, September 08, 2013 2:27:19 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi:

As you are flying the c172 and the detail pack for that is built into FSFS PRO 2013 I recommend that you make sure that the "Cessna 172 Options" are turned on a the Aircraft Screen of FSFS PRO 2013 as that will get you more detailed instruction for the plane you are flying.

Rest assured that the instructors will not recommend that you reduce throttle if you are near stalling or if you are close to the ground (but not about to touchdown). This is taken into advice in their instructions.

I would also recommend that you try an ILS approach to a runway that has it as that can actually be easier, in clear weather, as you can follow the needles in addition to listening to the instructor. Once you've done a few of those, "visual" landings may be easier to follow.

The instructor always calls off altitudes as 'above ground level'.

The instructor expects the altimeter to be set to QNH.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11075
Posted Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:11:21 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thanks Squadron Leader. I have tried ILS as advised but now having ILS problems. Using Waddington EGXW I set up Nav1 to 110.5, OBS 0n 205 degrees (as told by instructor (and checking using Ctrl / Shift D) Runway 21, Runway Elevation 231ft,starting 4nm out. Although I did manage to land following the ILS, the localizer had me landing on the grass (off the runway to the right) and the instructor telling me I was nowhere near the center line! Which I wasn't! Tried again but ignored the localizer and landed on the center line of the runway, but was still told I was nowhere near the center line when I had landed. I then set up the visual approach path in the aircraft menu of FSX, altimeter 1000ft, and that also was guiding me to land off to the right, on the grass. It was nice and handy for the glide-slope though

It seems as if the runway is set at a different angle to the ILS data. I have tried various headings from 203 - 210 degrees but cannot seem to land near enough, as the instructor keeps telling me I am nowhere near the center line. Any chance of trying the ILS for this airport and letting me know your findings please? I am now almost bald

PS have downloaded the EGXW approach plate and that gives 207 degrees but I still cannot get on the runway center line with this heading.

Problems, Problems

Thanks once again

olecyclops

Tally Ho
Post #11082
Posted Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:11:50 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi olecyclops:

Not sure what FSX is doing at EGXW rwy 21 as it does the same for me. The visual flight path and the ILS are guiding the pilot down to a point very much to the right of the runway.

Please understand that this is nothing to do with FSFlyingSchool - it is FSX.

When flying an ILS approach, the instructor is watching the needles on your instruments and basing his/her advice on that - telling you what FSX is telling FSFlyingSchool.

There are several possible reasons - this can be a problem if add-on scenery has been installed and it is in some way flawed.

Are you using add-on scenery for this airport? (If not then it could be that the original data is flawed.)

Try flying some approaches to other runways - using the visual flight path so that you can see what FSX is doing.

Please let me know how you get on.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11083
Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:47:57 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi Squadron Leader

Update to this problem of misleading ILS approaches on certain airfields. I have been informed by other forums that the problem lies on a few FSX airfield locations.

A search was made in Google for FSX ILS Offset and there are many references to this problem. I looked at one site:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?202178-ILS-off-about-5-degrees/page5
and it went into quite a detailed explanation!

Apparently to help fix the wrong airfield information in FSX you need to use a free Airport Design Editor program available from:

http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

I have downloaded the program but as yet have not tried it out.

Hope this helps any other simmers with the same problem

best regards

olecyclops

Tally Ho
Post #11129
Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:00:07 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi again!

Thanks for all the detail and yes ADE is an excellent piece of work and its author is a very nice, helpful guy.

Good luck with your project!

Post #11130
Posted Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:31:14 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 5:22:20 AM
I an new to FS Flying school and I really like it. I use it on X-Plane 10.25

I have the same problem with visual approach if I follow the instructions I land short of the runway and when I land correct I get 0 GS score.

I have tried this on the following airports: Copenhagen EKCH and Runway 03 and Braunschweigh-Wolfsburg EDVE Runway 08. Both these in the x-plane Cessna 172.

One thing I got to think about was the fact that I was landing in a 13 knots headwind in the the EKCH landing. So the difference in ground and IAS must have been significant.

It could be wrong airport location but when I do ILS on the same runways I hold the correct slope and can score much higher than the 0 for the same approach.

Thanks for a nice program

flare63
Post #11683
Posted Friday, August 01, 2014 6:31:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi F63:

Thanks - glad you are enjoying the product!

In order to do a visual approach you need to be certain that NAV1 is not tuned to a NAVAID - are you certain that this is the case?

Post #11684
Posted Friday, August 01, 2014 11:34:43 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 5:22:20 AM
When I do the visual all the navs are at bogus frequencies. I only use the visual glide slope indicators and try to keep two red and two white the whole time down. It is when I have had these two red and two white for some time when I get the instruction that I am above glide slope and should reduce power. If I follow these instruction I get four reds and land short of the runway.

Have a nice one

flare63

flare63
Post #11687
Posted Sunday, August 03, 2014 3:28:09 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

This is a puzzle.

Are the runways you are trying add-ons for X-Plane?

Have you "generated runway data" using FSFlyingSchool (at the settings screen)?

Post #11688
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:45am