How to get the best out of FSFS for bush and mountain flying?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

How to get the best out of FSFS for bush and... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:31:52 PM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Hi Squad Leader

As you'll see from the previous posts, I've sorted out the problem.  In fact I did have a flight plan loaded into FSFS and also had set the HSI to the rwy heading, but the problem was that ole Smithy starts calling for the glideslope on downwind before you turn into base, and that loses you points.  If you check my previous post you'll see that I have succeeded in making a good landing, but nevertheless there's still "definite room for improvement" and this is apparently because of the glideslope problem.   Looks like FSFS penalizes heavily for this and there's no way to avoid it.  But I'm not too concerned.  I'm using FSFS to improve my flying skills, and am not really concerned with the score, as long as I know I'm doing the right things.  Just thinking aloud, what would be nice if FSFS could be programmed to recognize a circuit approach and have some keystroke which the pilot could activate to notify the instructor when you're on final and on glideslope - just a thought.

Stan

Post #6821
Posted Friday, February 12, 2010 1:44:25 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Stan:

The point I was making was that the report of the flight you posted to the forum does not show a destination (the flight plan is blank on the report) which means that FSFS had no idea where the pilot was going.

This is caused by not loading a flight plan into FSFS.

I'll say again at this point for the benefit of all reading this that it is essential to note that the plan must be loaded into FSFS - loading it into FS makes no difference to FSFS.

NAV1 was not tuned to an ILS either - so the instructor has no information at all on where the pilot intended to land.

FSFS can deal with straight in or pattern based approaches already and has been able to do so since its first version, which is why allowed ourselves to put circuit training into it - otherwise it would have been impossible to get a good score flying circuits.

It's a question of operating the flight modes manually (for the greatest precision) and moving into landing mode at the right time.

I hope this helps.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #6824
Posted Friday, February 12, 2010 6:32:51 AM
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Thanks for that info SL.  Yes, the flight I sent did not have a flight plan.  My oversight.  But I have flown this approach with a flight plan, and I still stand by my observation that I feel that the glideslope problem is still valid and it could be a good idea in future versions to give the option to be able to notify the instructor at the point where you feel comfortable that you're on the glideslope.

Stan

Post #6825
Posted Friday, February 12, 2010 11:12:34 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
stanshear (2/12/2010)
Thanks for that info SL. Yes, the flight I sent did not have a flight plan. My oversight. But I have flown this approach with a flight plan, and I still stand by my observation that I feel that the glideslope problem is still valid and it could be a good idea in future versions to give the option to be able to notify the instructor at the point where you feel comfortable that you're on the glideslope.

Stan

Stan.

You keep referring to "the glideslope problem", as this is a general problem. Let me assure you that it is NOT! I myself have flown countless circuits and have not encountered any "glideslope problem" The problem must lie in the way you 1. fly the course, and 2. enter landingmode. These things are not shown in the post-flight reports, as this is personal a preference when you do this. I have made countless circuits ending with the report stating "a splendid landing"

This leads to the other thing you state - as a fact - the "definite room for improvement" issue. Again I have to tell you that there IS no "definite room for improvement" issue in FSFS. The "a splendid landing" post flight report mentioned above - of course - shows no sign at all of "definite room for improvement"

FSFS have been around for almost three years time now, and if my experiences in the last almost two of those years dosent convince you, then make a mental note that in those soon to be three years, there has been no sign of a "glideslope problem" and also not of a "definite room for improvement issue" in FSFS, stated by any significant number of the thousands of pilots using FSFS. So FSFS works fine in these areas, as is does as a whole. The comments from users everywhere, here in the forum, and on other sites indicates this without question.

So my suggestion to you, is to practise a lot, try to tamper with the way you follow the instructors orders, and try to tinker with the time, and height of when you enter landing mode - manually of course. I found circuits hard to begin with too. I had no problem of making a landingscore high enough to enter circuits - it was in a matter of a few days, but circuits are a very different ballgame. It takes a lot of precision in every aspect of your flying, and this requires training and practising - and in that time - to heck with the scores. What is important is that you try your best to improve on the scores, by flying the way the program is built to ask of you - and not to "fly over the handles" and yell "the program is flawed"

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #6826
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:51pm