Repetitions, repetitions, repetitions...

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Repetitions, repetitions, repetitions... Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:36:55 AM
Hi there!

I have a little suggestion for this very enjoyable tool, if I have missed an option for this please ignore my remarks.

I'm running the trial version (v5.0.0, FSIPC v4.949h) with P3D v3.2, on A2A's Cherokee 180, and I found that the instructor had a tendency to repeat the same things again and again, to the point it's getting really irritating.

The first time it was noticeable was every interaction with an instrument, and I know this one is an option. It's nice, the first time one sets the flaps or switches a light on/off, to hear an explanation or a tip about it. When it's every time, it gets a little overdone, to the point I switched it off even before I could hear the tips for the other sub-systems, sadly.

Another example is when I'm taxiing down to the runway, at a smooth 900 rpm, and the instructor repeats every 10 seconds that I may foul my spark plugs if I'm not at least at 800 rpm. Firstly, I was 900 or above the whole time (not sure what is wrong there, I don't know how to monitor the exact value used by the flight sim) and if I'm doing 1000 rpm to suppress this remark then I'm going too fast and get other repeated remarks on taxiing too fast if I don't want to brake all the time. Secondly and more importantly, I think one time is enough per session, in the worst case it could be a remark in the log with a penalty on the score - much efficient than repeating instructions

Would it be an interesting option to limit those repetitions somewhat?

I've also noticed that some tips were always given with the same voice, no matter which voice is chosen for the "flight remarks". It sounds rather strange to suddenly hear another voice. Not really a problem though.
Post #12596
Posted Thursday, April 07, 2016 3:44:15 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:09:25 AM
Hi Redglyph:

Thanks for trying the free demo, for your kind words and for letting us know how you got on.

>> The first time it was noticeable was every interaction with an instrument, and I know this one is an option. It's nice, the first time one sets the flaps or switches a light on/off, to hear an explanation or a tip about it. When it's every time, it gets a little overdone, to the point I switched it off even before I could hear the tips for the other sub-systems, sadly.

We could look at a set of options for this - some folks who are new to aviation or the simulator will want to hear it every time, whereas others like yourself will be happy with just one announcement.

As you mention - this is of course optional and can be turned on and off as the pilot desires at the settings screen of FSFS.

>> Another example is when I'm taxiing down to the runway, at a smooth 900 rpm, and the instructor repeats every 10 seconds that I may foul my spark plugs if I'm not at least at 800 rpm. Firstly, I was 900 or above the whole time (not sure what is wrong there, I don't know how to monitor the exact value used by the flight sim) and if I'm doing 1000 rpm to suppress this remark then I'm going too fast and get other repeated remarks on taxiing too fast if I don't want to brake all the time. Secondly and more importantly, I think one time is enough per session, in the worst case it could be a remark in the log with a penalty on the score - much efficient than repeating instructions
Would it be an interesting option to limit those repetitions somewhat?

This is a puzzle! We'll look into the RPM issue - I believe this is the first report of such a problem with the A2A Cherokee 180.

As to the instructor not saying anything at all after a certain number of warnings - this would be a departure from our overall design which is, generally, that if the instructor thinks something needs attention, he/she will keep stating this until the pilot corrects it. We also take into account things that the pilot cannot correct. Finally, we consider the rate at which the instructor should repeat statements (as some are a lot more urgent than others).

>> I've also noticed that some tips were always given with the same voice, no matter which voice is chosen for the "flight remarks". It sounds rather strange to suddenly hear another voice. Not really a problem though.

This is the case when the optional 'Spoken Tips' are turned on at the settings screen of FSFS. They are all from MrSmith. On such occasions we think of him as sitting in the 3rd seat - if there is one.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12597
Posted Friday, April 08, 2016 1:57:51 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Hello Jeff,

That's a good point on the importance of repeating until the action is done. I just found it exaggerated in some cases, like this RPM. I just had the impression this chap was talking way too much, and I was finding it difficult to concentrate, or even to listen to the ATC's directives (I suppose it's not easy to intercept relevant chatter to make the instructor pause). Or maybe at some point, a "please don't talk now unless it's really urgent" key would be convenient, but I have to use it more thoroughly first to get a sounder opinion.

By the way, I haven't heard this with RPM remark since version 5.1.0 (I registered and updated), at least in my last attempt. And I've also run an update of A2A products, it probably came from there. I'll let you know if it comes back.

To avoid embarking a third person and changing the general balance of the aircraft, I used the same Mr Smith's voice for the whole tutoring

EDIT: I see there's support for a DC-3. Is there a good DC-3 for Prepar3D?
Post #12601
Posted Saturday, April 09, 2016 1:11:52 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

TIP: There are a whole host of voice commands that are very useful - including those which control if the instructor speaks or does not speak. The manual will be of great help.

As for the DC-3 in P3D, we understand folks have had success with a great number of FSX planes in P3D, but we cannot speak for all of them.

We did most of our DC-3 testing with the FSX and Just Flight planes in FSX.

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12602
Posted Saturday, April 09, 2016 7:30:25 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hello,

Yes, I've seen it was possible to interact with voice control, but I don't feel comfortable using that.
Post #12603
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:20:14 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hi Jeff,

It seems I still have those remarks on RPM, mostly on transients but sometimes on taxiing, I even got them two times when starting the engine, that's weird.

On the other hand, I get a remark if I'm braking with the throttle, another one if I'm going too fast, and one if I'm reducing the throttle. Seems like there is simply no way to taxi properly

Something else is frequent remarks in the log on using the flaps too soon. I had them on 10 kts below the limit, I now if I'm waiting too much I'll get the other remark that my flaps were not soon enough. It would be interesting to have a more precise log of exactly what and when something bad happened, I'm pretty sure in this instance that there was no voice remark when this occurred. Again, that might be the aircraft data that are not precise, like the RPM.

And finally, repeated remarks to align with the runway. Yes, but it takes some time to get aligned, I don't know why he's hammering on this continuously, it's not as if I could do it instantly. Maybe it's a problem with the trigger, for example the air control requires a specified level in the approach, it's not landing phase yet but I have to descent, and the instructor believes I'm starting the final phase to land (and asks me to put flaps, switch landing lights on, ...). So I have to hit Ctrl-Shift-X several times to get back in "cruise phase" until I'm level. Wouldn't that be easier if he triggered on the landing lights?

Post #12607
Posted Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:33:47 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi again Redglyph:

Sorry about the delay!

Regarding the RPMs - as I mentioned, this is a puzzle! We'll look into the RPM issue - I believe this is the first report of such a problem with the A2A Cherokee 180.

Regarding flaps - there are a lot of different messages about them, including "You're cruising with flaps!" which is not related to the speed. I think this sounds like it is connected to your flight mode - more on that next...

"Get lined up with the runway" will only start when you are in landing mode and when the instructor knows which runway you are landing at. The key here is not to enter landing mode until you are ready for this, so it might well for example be when you are around 700 AAL and pointing straight down the runway already.

The program is installed with automatic detection of flight mode turned ON for cruise and landing, but we advise that you turn it OFF so YOU control it as soon as you have a few flights in FSFS completed.

Post #12612
Posted Saturday, April 30, 2016 9:25:19 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

I have disabled the automatic detection setup for cruise mode and landing mode, it's true that it helps somewhat.

Problems seen with the A2A Cessna 182:
- before starting, I'm checking ailerons, elevators and rudder. The instructor says "ailerons check complete", then he starts reading the flight plan (the previous one that I haven't loaded in this session, not sure why he's doing that, auto-read is off and anyway I don't have any in P3D either), and while I'm continuing with my surface checks he keeps reading it. Then, once he's finished, he tells me that it's a good idea to check the elevators, ailerons and rudder... I have just done that! And he even commented about it, before getting distracted! (actually I have this quite frequently, no matter what aircraft);
- after starting the engine, he remarks I should start it with the fuel pump on, which is usually a bad practice (the battery has to support both the crank and the pump... ideal to run out of juice in no time - or to flood the engine on this plane). What he didn't remark is forgetting to switch the beacon on, though;
- I had to remove the "monitor carb. heat" option, otherwise he would repeat me to switch the carburetor heat off every 5 seconds (there is no such control on this aircraft AFAIK);
- when I'm taxiing, he recognizes we're taxiing and says we can check different instruments, then starts repeating every 5 seconds to switch the taxi lights off... so I had to turn this monitoring option off as well;
- sometimes, it does not register the shortcut keys, for example to go to the next mode, I tried all the shortcuts and none are caught. I'm not sure it's only with this particular aircraft, but I haven't had that before, the only two changes I made is using the C182 instead of the Cherokee 180, and disabling the automatic mode change for cruise and landing.

I really want to like this program, but I have quite a hard time trying. It's just too much hassle, sorry.
Post #12623
Posted Sunday, May 01, 2016 6:43:01 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi again:

>> It's just too much hassle, sorry.

Always glad to help!

I'm pretty sure I can talk you through all these points if you would like.

Would you like me to do this?

Post #12628
Posted Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:47:28 PM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hello,

I've been off for a while, sorry.

I'm not sure. To be frank I think I'll leave that alone for a while, and maybe come back to it in the future with most of the "detailed" features off since it seems not to correspond exactly to the aircraft I own, or to hone some specific skills one at a time.
Post #12636
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:45pm