laundry list of problems on x-plane (circuits, landing, airplane data, error 13)

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

laundry list of problems on x-plane... Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, May 11, 2020 11:17:29 AM
I bought fsfs2020 for x-plane 11 a week or so ago and, while I really want to like this add-on, I've been experiencing nothing but problems.... the following is a list of problems, or inconsistencies that I've come across since installing FSFS2020.

1- no matter how slow or gentle I turn while taxiing, I keep getting "watch your steering", or "gentle turns", especially after landing. it will just repeat "watch you steering" over and over again until I start a new flight (even when traveling in a straight line, or not moving at all!)

2- I fly the Cessna C172 with SimCoders REP. whenever I start the engine, I get warnings about starting with mixture full and the fuel pump on. If I follow those instructions with the REP C172, the engine will flood and never start. the proper procedure for starting the rep c172 is:
- fuel pump on
- mixture full until fuel pressure 3-5 then cutoff
- fuel pump off
- engage starter
- slowly increase mixture to full once engine catches

3- on the ground (rep c172), it only recognizes that I've done the run-up about half the time, the rest of the time it complains like i didn't do it at all

4- Vr for a C172 is 55kts (which Mr smith confirms), but if i raise the nose at 55kts, I get a late rotation (and will even "remind" me to rotate once I'm already in the air). I have to pull back at about 40-45kts to avoid this

5- in circuit mode (seemingly no matter what) the circuit and landing scores are always 0 at every airport I've tried. even if a normal landing yields a good score, the same approach/landing in circuit mode will result in a score of 0. it appears that in circuit mode it doesn't recognize that I'm landing at an airport because in the log book I see:
Flight plan: NAV1: ---
but for a regular flight with same conditions at same airport, I see:
Flight plan: TO KSBP :San Luis County Regl NAV1: ---
If I fly a circuit while not in circuit mode, it seems to work and correctly identifies the runway

6- also in circuit mode, no matter when I turn base to final, it says I'm late turning onto final, even if I turn super early or immediately after getting established on base, it still says my turn to final is late. I see this with downwind to base pretty frequently as well, but not every single time like base to final.

7- on the somewhat rare occasion that it does recognize where I'm landing, the score for the glide slope is always exactly 40% even if i follow the PAPI lights perfectly (2 white 2 red all the way down)

8- as mentioned before, I fly with the REP C172, but I'm not sure that FSFS is loading the correct aircraft data. The data source says FSRC172, but it also says the same thing for the stock c172. So I have a feeling that It's not loading the right aircraft data. I would imagine the REP C172 would use different data than the stock 172, but when I switch between the two versions, the aircraft data remains the same. I have a feeling this could be related to some of my problems mentioned above (ie, the inconsistencies in the startup procedure)
Some of the data that appears there is incorrect as well. the landing config stall speed should be 48kts, but says 50. flaps should be 10, 20, 30, but they say 12.7, 25.3, and 38.

In another thread, error 13 type mismatch, I couldn't generate runway data. it was recommended that I delete the airport in question or rename it, but since it is a default airport (not add-on scenery I installed), I couldn't find it to rename/delete. I even tried removing all my europe scenery with the x-plane installer and that didn't work either. I finally opened up the file that was generating the error and deleted the lines that corresponded to the "bad" airport. I don't know if that could cause problems with the indices where the software is looking for the airport info and is thus using info for a different runway than the one I'm landing at?

I realize that some of these things could be a result of the way I'm flying, but making corrections and changing the way I'm flying don't seem to make any difference. I also have the Gleim private pilot training course for x-plane, which has similar features, and that software says I'm flying circuits and landings, specifically) just fine.

a little bit about my x-plane install:
-Running both 11.42 and 11.50bX (havent noticed any different behavior in regards to FSFS but still using 11.42 for all the testing related to the above mentioned problems)
-have HD mesh V4 for all of USA & orthos for california
-addon airports: KSBP, L88, L52, KAVX (tested at all of these airports and many default as well)
-plugins (active during testing): x-camera, FlyWithLUA, xgs landing speed, xprealistic pro

any help would be appriciated. I'm not quite ready to give up on getting this working right, yet.

Post #14045
Posted Monday, May 11, 2020 9:19:52 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi andorian:

Thanks for all the data - this will help solve the case - we're in comms via email already so I will continue there.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14046
Posted Monday, July 13, 2020 11:51:06 AM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Last Login: Saturday, December 19, 2020 10:43:01 AM
andorian (5/9/2020)

1- no matter how slow or gentle I turn while taxiing, I keep getting "watch your steering", or "gentle turns", especially after landing. it will just repeat "watch you steering" over and over again until I start a new flight (even when traveling in a straight line, or not moving at all!)
4- Vr for a C172 is 55kts (which Mr smith confirms), but if i raise the nose at 55kts, I get a late rotation (and will even "remind" me to rotate once I'm already in the air). I have to pull back at about 40-45kts to avoid this

I have had these same two problems consistently as well. I found the "watch your steering" a bit unnerving when the plane is sitting still at a hold line waiting for other planes to take off.

Were any things to check or do figured out in the off-line discussions?

Thanks,

Mark
Post #14088
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2020 9:52:05 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Mark:

The two issues cited are not commonly reported to us. Such issues are often related to specific aircraft or add-on equipment.

Are you experiencing both these issues with several different planes? Can you tell me which planes and who published them?

Do you have add-on controllers? If so - which?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14098
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:15:06 PM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

SquadronLeader (7/15/2020)
Hi Mark:

The two issues cited are not commonly reported to us. Such issues are often related to specific aircraft or add-on equipment.

Are you experiencing both these issues with several different planes? Can you tell me which planes and who published them?

Do you have add-on controllers? If so - which?

I wasn't sure what you mean by add-on controllers. I have the RealSimGear G1000 PFD/MFD with a Logitech switch panel, HOTAS joystick, Logitech throttle, TPR rudder pedals.

The Laminar C172SP G1000 files I'm using might have some flight model enhancements; I don't recall.

To be sure, I made a clean install of the Laminar C172SP G1000 and flew a circuit.

I still got the late rotation even though I lifted the nose wheel prior to 55 knots and it told me, "ok let's rotate" after I was already in the air.

I did not get the "watch your steering" at all and I wasn't steering any differently I could detect.

I'm a newbie wrt flight simming (about 2.5 months), so it's likely something I'm not understanding. For example, I've been setting the Nav OBS to the runway heading (on the G1000 PFD, put it into GPS, click the OBS button, rotate the CRS knob to set OBS heading to the runway heading (222 in my case). On the MFD I'll see the purple line pointing into the runway correctly and the HSI looks right. But when I took off this time, it kept telling me to stay on the runway heading (I was within 1-2 degree of 222), then when I made the left turn to 130, it thought I was on the crosswind way before I got to 130, same for downwind, etc. Somehow I'm doing something wrong in all that.

I'll try again tomorrow. What files would you like me to send to help sort this out?

Thanks,

Mark

Post #14099
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2020 12:12:02 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Last Login: Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:22:17 AM
Also which version of X-Plane are you using? I know many people are testing/using the 11.50 beta versions so it's useful to know.
Post #14100
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:04:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi again Mark:

Please try a circuit in perhaps 2 other simple, unmodified planes which come with X-Plane.

This will provide more data for us to consider.

We don't need any files at present.

And as John said...
"Also which version of X-Plane are you using? I know many people are testing/using the 11.50 beta versions so it's useful to know."

Post #14101
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:32:28 AM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

SquadronLeader (7/16/2020)
Hi again Mark:

Please try a circuit in perhaps 2 other simple, unmodified planes which come with X-Plane.

This will provide more data for us to consider.

We don't need any files at present.

And as John said...
"Also which version of X-Plane are you using? I know many people are testing/using the 11.50 beta versions so it's useful to know."

I'm using 11.41. Will try some other unmodified planes and will report back in a day or so.
Post #14102
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:23:04 PM

FSFlyingSchool Pilot

So I did some further testing (5 circuit flights this afternoon and evening).

I was setting the heading for a visual circuit wrong and thus, any low scores now are due to my beginner skills

I did not test any other planes about the "watch your steering." After a few more tests with the clean install of the Laminar SkyHawk G1000, I get it sometimes, not others. Thus, again, it's my beginner skills...

The late rotation could be a lag between when the RealSimGear G1000 PFD is showing the speed and when it actually achieves the speed. Fractions of seconds might matter during that part of the process.

Thanks for your patience as I work through this. I like the product quite a bit.
Post #14103
Posted Friday, July 17, 2020 3:21:10 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Mark:

I am delighted to read that you are enjoying FSFlyingSchool!

And yes - fractions of a second will certainly make a difference.

I hope you enjoy your next few flights - they will certainly help get a good picture of any issues between X-Plane, FSFlyingSchool and your add-on equipment.

Post #14105
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:36am