What I would like to see in FS Instant Approach is STAR landing procedure !!

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

What I would like to see in FS Instant... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:11:16 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 7:02:04 AM
Hello,

First of all what a great product, and keep up the good work!

What I would like to see in FS Instant Approach is STAR landing procedure !!

Is this possible in the near future that you can choose a STAR for landing ??

So you can fly a STAR landing !

Robert

Robert

Post #10235
Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:53:25 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi Robert:

Thanks for your kind words about FSIA and for your feedback!

We are looking at the possibility of adding STARs to FSIA - this would be an exciting addition. At this time we cannot say when or if this can be done, but we will certainly publish any news here on the forum and in our mailers.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10238
Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:25:16 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

We are looking at the possibility of adding STARs to FSIA - this would be an exciting addition. At this time we cannot say when or if this can be done, but we will certainly publish any news here on the forum and in our mailers.

That would be great news !

I don't know about others, but I would be willing to pay a bit more for an update with this feature added!!

Robert

Post #10239
Posted Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:30:11 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Robert:

I'd be interested to hear what you would like to see with such a feature and to discuss it right here in the forum.

FS Instant Approach is, at present, concerned with placing the pilot at a specific point from where to begin an approach, after which, the pilot's flight path is unmonitored and unassisted.

STARs of course by contrast are a sequence of effectively waypoints that need to be crossed at specified altitudes on the way to the final approach.

In what ways would you like to see FSIA "support STARs"?

As a launching point, the simplest version would be to offer a list of STARs for the destination runway and place the pilot at the start of the STAR, at the correct heading and altitude, after which, the pilot is on his/her own...

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10244
Posted Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:08:37 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

In what ways would you like to see FSIA "support STARs"?

As a launching point, the simplest version would be to offer a list of STARs for the destination runway and place the pilot at the start of the STAR, at the correct heading and altitude, after which, the pilot is on his/her own...

Hi,

I fly only airliners like the(PMDG 737NGX).

I would like to choose a begin point (first point of STAR ) of any STAR from AIRAC CYCLE or Aerosoft NavDataPro!

Programme that STAR in FMC and follow the STAR approache!

I don't know if it is possible for you to only put in the first waypoint of any STAR and leave out the AIRAC CYCLE ??

Maybe you could use an older AIRAC CYCLE, because it does't change a lot!

Robert

Post #10245
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012 3:11:12 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Robert:

Interesting points for sure! So I believe we are both talking about placing the airplane at the first point of a chosen STAR with the correct altitude and heading.

The challenging part is the question of STARs data...

- Do we just support this function if the user has the data already on the PC? If so - what format might it be in (it could be in different formats)?

- Do we provide the data? Keep in mind that we are not in the business of providing current real world data of any kind and are not about to buy current data on a regular basis and add that to the cost of the very, very reasonably priced FS Instant Approach, even if we were allowed to resell it!

- Is there free data available that we could add to FS Instant Approach? This would bring with it the problem that to be free the data would almost certainly be rather old, and then we would get complaints and queries from pilots "expecting" current data...

Please rest assured that I am just listing some of the considerations which need to be addressed and would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the subject, and indeed the thoughts of anyone else interested in using FS Instant Approach to set them up for flying STARs (Standard Terminal Arrival Routes).

Post #10248
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012 5:43:31 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hi,

I use VOXATC 6 for ATC and they use a folder inside Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Level-D Simulations navdata.

They provide an old AIRAC CYCLE for level-D

You can buy a new AIRAC CYCLE yourself if you want but must first run Runway Number Update to correct any changes!!

A runway number like runway 24 could be changed in 25 as an example!!

This is how they do it:

For VoxATC to use the Navdata SIDs and STARs, the path to the Navdata folder must be set. Go t

Start – All Programs – VoxATC X – Advanced settings. The Advanced Settings form is displayed.

Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder that contains the Navdata files. This is likely to

be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Level-D Simulationsavdata.

To confirm that VoxATC can pick up the navdata, run the Procedure Pronunciation Editor and

load an airport with SIDS and STARs. Check the available SIDs and STARs in the tree view on

the left of the form. The runway designations at the departure or arrival airport may have changed,

this may affect the SID or STAR assigned, or even if a SID/STAR is assigned at all (see Runway

Number Update).

Maybe something like this??

I don't know how to make a program like that but maybe you can use MakeRwys.EXE, by Pete Dowson??

Robert

Post #10249
Posted Monday, October 08, 2012 2:46:30 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Robert:

I see what you mean.

We are currently looking for a source for the data, which we would be allowed to use freely without any problems.

I conclude that unless we distribute the data with our own program all sorts of problems could occur.

If the data is in someone else's format and it changes, it may no longer work with FSIA.

In addition, it would not be a good idea for us to create a new feature which requires folks to buy data from elsewhere - there would be great potential for misunderstanding and the marketplace would shrink, as folks would need to have both FSX and the data in order to be able to use a STARs feature within FSIA.

But this is a good idea! (Flying STARs, Standard Terminal Arrival Routes, in FSIA).

We will pursue this, and if anyone has any leads on where we can obtain 'public domain' STARs data which works with the latest version of FSX, please let us know!

Post #10266
Posted Monday, October 08, 2012 3:57:02 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hi,

If the data is in someone else's format and it changes, it may no longer work with FSIA.

But It would be the choise for everbody to get an Airac update ??

And I think most everybody who fly with airliners (realistic) use Airac !!

This would be an option off course to use or not !!

Or an other way, would it be possible to to create something like insertion points (coordinates) ??

I mean every star has coordinates for example N51 14.2 E003 39.5. DENUT STAR (EHAM)

So you could fill in an insertion point from a STAR and then programma the star in FMC and follow it !!

http://www2.vlieghinder.nl/knipsels_pmach/pdfs/EHAM.pdf

'public domain' STARs data do you mean something like this: 

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fsx-effects-and-addons-85/updated-airac-for-default-gps-fsxfs2004-36147.html

The problem could be that it does not work for ad/on airplanes (not sure) ??

Robert

Post #10267
Posted Friday, October 12, 2012 1:59:12 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi Robert:

Thanks for your reply - we will continue to look at this.

What we need is data which is legally free for us to include in a commercial product, or has a low price for us to obtain and use commercially. FS Instant Approach is very inexpensive and cannot support large costs.

We would not pursue this idea (STARs) unless we could supply the data with the product for reasons given in my earlier post. It would need to be a feature that everyone who bought FSIA could use - not just if they also happened to have an additional set of data, which they might even have to buy.

Of course, enthusiasts such as yourself may well have the latest data and are happy to pay for it, but most of our customers do not.

Please leave it with me and we will see what can be done.

And again - if anyone has any ideas on who might have such data and be willing to discuss it with us - please speak up!

Post #10276
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:53am