FS Approach, Help!

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

FS Approach, Help! Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:04:10 AM
I purchased FS Approach from FS Pilot Shop, and it seems to have installed properly. I got the freebie of FSUIPC, and it shows up on the tool bar of FSX as an "add-on" (took a while to find that out, didn't realize that there was an FSX tool bar "hidden"). I have printed the manual for FS Approach, and read it.

My problem is the sequence of operations. If I launch FS App. before FSX it can't find FSX (and that is clear in the instructions). But if I follow the instructions and take my seat in an FSX aircraft with the engines running, I can't find a "connect" button for FS App. I can't launch FS App from my desk top icon - my FSX is full screen. The manual keeps referring to the "connect button", and I can't find it (yes, I see it on the FS App. screen, but how do I bring that up when I'm already in FSX?

Best, Jon

Post #9844
Posted Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:43:32 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:04:10 AM
OK, I figured it out. Nothing like sending a Help message to clear the mind.

For any others with this problem, set up your flight with the minimized screen (about 2/3 in FSX). That will leave you a part of your desk top showing. Locate the FS Approach icon to the side of the desktop, so it shows when FSX is not full screen (I suggest using the icon for ease of access when in FSX). Now you can sit in your aircraft with the engine running and launch FS Approach with ease. BTW, if you are in the air you don't need to pause the flight to avoid crashing while not in control - it appears that the launch of FS App. does that for you. Set your criteria, then hit the connect button on the FS App. screen (my first try I hit connect first, thinking that would activate the choice of settings - then couldn't fine a "go" button). You will come back to your aircraft in pause mode, then you can make it full screen and fly home.

On my first try I asked for a random airport, and used the default ultra-lite Trike as my aircraft. I thought FS App. had screwed up as I found no airport. Turns out the random one was a small strip in Peru, and the scenery looked like the savannahs of Africa. No way to orient. Second try I picked a Piper Cub and called for JFK airport, which I know well. Found myself over Jamaica Bay aimed for one of the short cross runways. Made a fine landing.

Another point, or perhaps question. I found the approach much more stable than those I've done with FSX alone. I have a good joystick/throttle (the Thrustmaster t-Flight Hotas X) so I have good control of my flight. But I have always found it a bit "jinky" on landings - a bit overcontrol. I didn't have that problem on this landing. Perhaps it was the aircraft I chose, or perhaps it was that FS Approach was involved. I'll have to try that out by choosing the same airport on FSX alone and with FS App. Perhaps FS App. sets the joystick sensitivity to an optimum for landings.

Any comments from Squadron Leader would be appreciated.

Best, Jon
Post #9845
Posted Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:54:34 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Jon Murphy (5/24/2012)
OK, I figured it out. Nothing like sending a Help message to clear the mind.

For any others with this problem, set up your flight with the minimized screen (about 2/3 in FSX). That will leave you a part of your desk top showing. Locate the FS Approach icon to the side of the desktop, so it shows when FSX is not full screen (I suggest using the icon for ease of access when in FSX). Now you can sit in your aircraft with the engine running and launch FS Approach with ease. BTW, if you are in the air you don't need to pause the flight to avoid crashing while not in control - it appears that the launch of FS App. does that for you. Set your criteria, then hit the connect button on the FS App. screen (my first try I hit connect first, thinking that would activate the choice of settings - then couldn't fine a "go" button). You will come back to your aircraft in pause mode, then you can make it full screen and fly home.

On my first try I asked for a random airport, and used the default ultra-lite Trike as my aircraft. I thought FS App. had screwed up as I found no airport. Turns out the random one was a small strip in Peru, and the scenery looked like the savannahs of Africa. No way to orient. Second try I picked a Piper Cub and called for JFK airport, which I know well. Found myself over Jamaica Bay aimed for one of the short cross runways. Made a fine landing.

Another point, or perhaps question. I found the approach much more stable than those I've done with FSX alone. I have a good joystick/throttle (the Thrustmaster t-Flight Hotas X) so I have good control of my flight. But I have always found it a bit "jinky" on landings - a bit overcontrol. I didn't have that problem on this landing. Perhaps it was the aircraft I chose, or perhaps it was that FS Approach was involved. I'll have to try that out by choosing the same airport on FSX alone and with FS App. Perhaps FS App. sets the joystick sensitivity to an optimum for landings.

Any comments from Squadron Leader would be appreciated.

Best, Jon

Hi There Jon

Although I am not Squadron Leader, I will make a few comments on your post(s)

You seem to have solved your problem from the first post. When you (in your second post) suggest people to use FSX in minimized mode 2/3 of the screen, I suppose you mean windowed mode. This is a good way to use FSX. But you don´t need to change size of the screen. You can use maximized windowed screen, and simply pull FSX down via minimize and maximize the window.

But you can also put FSFS and FSX on your taskbar. This way you can use full screen if you like, and just press the icon for FSIA on the taskbar to bring it to front - then anywhere on the FSX screen outside of FSIA to bring FSX to front... Neat and easy.

As for the second post of yours, I can only say one thing. FS Instant Approach (FSIA), just like FSFlyingSchool (FSFS), does NOT in ANY WAY change the way aircraft handle. So any change you might have felt in the handling of the aircraft is due to either the aircraft in question, being different than you are used to, your level of concentration or the windsettings, which will effect how the aircraft handles a LOT.

Your Trike-landing in Peru... Yes some of the small grass runways are not at all easy to spot. You can see in FSIA what surface you can expect, just so you are prepared to look closly for the runway if you have picked a grassrunway.

Good luck with the landings Jon...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #9847
Posted Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:07:52 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Thursday, April 25, 2024 4:09:25 AM
Thanks for helping Ole!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #9855
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:14pm