A few things about circuits

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

A few things about circuits Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Captain

FSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool CaptainFSFlyingSchool Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Strange - this is the second time I've posted something and when I checked it out later it just wasnt' there.  Technology plays funny tricks sometimes.  Anyhow, I'll try and repeat it.

Regarding circuits in FSFS, you have to hold 1000' on downwind until you turn, and then start descending on the base leg.  I have found that you have to have your heading on base established before you start descending otherwise your instructor will complain - which leaves it a little tight, because by then you're nearly ready to turn onto final.  But it can be done.  Also you have to be careful when you change to descent mode because your instructor will suggest that you lower flaps to descend, and your speed might still be too high - I don't know whether your are penalised if you don't lower flaps soon after entring descent mode.  A further point is that FSFS doesn't seem to worry too much about speeds in circuit mode, and you have to plan your descent to have the the right speeds at the right time.  I find that if you ascend at the optimum rate of climb, 74 kias, and turn to crosswind, then you'll reach 1000' pretty quickly, by which time you should turn downwind.  There is not much time to accelerate to a cruising speed of about 100 kias in the 172 and before you reach this speed you'll probably be ready to turn onto base.

All this is fine - you've just got to watch the numbers.  But I have reading quite a lot about circuits and landings, and have studied Sporty's video on landings, and one of the best sources of information is Michael Love's book "Better Takeoffs & and Landings".  I want to quote from this book, and try and relate this to the parameters of the FSFS circuits.  Love writes as follows, and my comments are in italics:

"..as the pilot approaches abeam (of the touch-down spot that you've defined), he will reduce power to 1700 rpm (Remember to use your aircraft's recommended power settings).  At this point it becomes necessary to reduce the airspeed and maintain pattern altitude.  Once you have reached the target airspeed, 75 kias for this example...  the aircraft will begin a descent. (so he' saying that you start descending on the downwind leg before you reach the 45 degree point).  He then goes on to describe the 45 degree point where you turn onto base - my reference is the rear left shoulder view when the touch down point is exactly in the middle of the screen.  Love continues  - After turning onto base, you can extend your first notch of flaps.  (This will be before you've established the base heading).  He continues to describe the turn to final and reduction in speed to final approach speed, and further extension of flaps."

So it seems that there is some difference of opinion about when to start descending and to start extending flaps, as well as reducing speed.  I'm wondering how this is considered from the FSFS point of view, and would value the comments of Squad. Leader and Ole, and any other readers who might be puzzling over these issues.

I hope this posting doesn't disappear, but to make sure I'll copy it so that I won't have to rewrite it if it doesn't go through again.

Cheers

Stan

Post #7555
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:10pm