How to improve VFR glideslope?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

How to improve VFR glideslope? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, October 23, 2022 7:03:33 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 10:23:09 AM
I'm having trouble getting a good score on landings. Mostly the issue is "Serious long term problem - Poor glideslope on visual approach.". My typical scores are between 30 and 50% on glideslope. I use the PAPI lights if the airport has them. I use X-planes Map's Approach functionality, but that feels like something not available in a plane. Mr. Smith doesn't advise me on this. How do I improve?
Post #14739
Posted Tuesday, October 25, 2022 3:42:36 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi TMacYOW:

Thanks for your email and your interest in our products.

Glad to help!

It sounds like the problem might be related to doing things in the precise manner that FSFlyingSchool requires. This is simple to do, easy once you know how... but must be done a certain specific way.

The most common issue with the landing scores is that the pilot has to be both…

1. In FSFlyingSchool landing mode

AND

2. Pointing down the runway

when descending through 500’ AGL – or otherwise the instructor will tell you that he/she essentially doesn’t know what you are doing – and you will get a low score even if you perform a very gentle landing.

It is also essential to have NAV1 not receiving an ILS signal if you are performing a visual approach.

Once all that is being done you will indeed hear a lot of instruction from the instructors regarding the glideslope as you fly the approach. They will certainly let you know if you are above or below the glideslope.

If all that is being done and you are still getting poor glideslope scores, I would suggest that you try a variety of airfields to make sure it is not just a certain airfield - which might have questionable data.

It is also useful to fly some ILS approaches to get a feel for the overall method of staying on the glideslope - in this case with the considerable aid of the glideslope instruments in the cockpit.

Please let me know how you get on.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14741
Posted Tuesday, October 25, 2022 9:15:20 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 10:23:09 AM
I am definitely aligned with the runway at 500 ft AGL -- I'm typically aligned well before I am at 1000 ft AGL and FSFS never fails to detect what runway I am landing at -- my localizer scores are typically 80%.

How do I ensure NAV1 is not set to an ILS approach? I expect to see my course deviation indicator doing funky stuff if I was, but I don't see that -- so I assume my NAV1 is not tuned. (I don't use NAV much yet, so I don't know.) Between using X-planes VFR approach window (shows the 3% glideslope) and PAPI lights, I would think my approach is not too terrible, but you can't tell that from my logbook.
Post #14742
Posted Wednesday, October 26, 2022 7:21:42 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi TMacYOW:

Excellent - it sounds like you are certainly set up in a way where FSFlyingSchool will recognise where you are landing.

It sounds like NAV1 is not picking up a signal - but, for reference, you can listen to the Morse identifier on NAV1 and if there is nothing there you certainly don't have a signal.

I imagine you are hearing the instructor comment on your approach as you fly it? They will certainly let you know if you are above or below the glideslope.

As I mentioned, I would suggest that you try a variety of airfields to make sure it is not just a certain airfield - which might have questionable data. Can you do that and let me know what you experienced?

Is any of the scenery in question added on?

Have you tried this in other planes? (Of course this should make no difference - but we have seen stranger things going on in simulators in the 16 years of FSFlyingSchool...)

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14743
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:38am