FsFlyingSchool Not Detecting Runway Approaches Correctly?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

FsFlyingSchool Not Detecting Runway... Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 29, 2022 12:00:11 PM
Hey guys, newbie here and need some help

When landing on a runway without ILS, I set the OBS heading to runway heading (tested in KGRB runway 18 with heading of 182, so OBS set to 182), flight plan in FsFlyingSchool set to landing at runway 18, and this is the result of a straight in approach:

FSFlyingSchool 2022 for MS Flight Simulator (January 21 2022)
Using: Microsoft Flight Simulator
Visibility: 86.12 Miles Wind: 1 Knots

Aircraft: TT:ATCCOM.ATC_NAME CESS ID: 71 Airline: CESSNA172 Flight: 71
Flight plan: KGRB TO KGRB Green Bay:Green Bay-Austin Straubel Intl NAV1:
Failure(s): None at landing
Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None
Failure Bonus:0% Flight Duration:00 Hours 04 Mins 41 Secs

Landing Score:25.19

Landing was successful in the following areas:
Gentle touchdown. [0 FPM]
Good landing speed - not too fast. [43 KIAS]
Wings were level.
Distance from runway threshold (visual approach): [3716 feet]
Good pitch control after touchdown.
Good pitch at landing. [1 degrees]
With flaps - good job. [20 degrees]
Heading aligned with runway.
Throttle(s) idle.
Good controlled final descent to touchdown.
Good steering after landing.

Landing included the following problems:
No glideslope information was available on visual approach.
Poor alignment with runway on visual approach - line up and stay there. [0%]
Landed without a proper approach OR off runway surface.
No glideslope - could not compare flare to glideslope.
Definite room for improvement...

Also tried circuit mode many times and it's a hit and miss, with OBS set to runway heading and flight plan set to the correct landing runway, the software still doesnt detect the runway i'm on at certain runways (it works at some other runways). Seems really strange.
Been struggling with this for a week now, searching the forums all the time and I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. I'm also new to aviation and the flight simulator so I'll greatly appreciate any help!

I figured that I might have turned onto final BELOW 500AAL which caused the software to not detect the runway heading.
But with that figured out I have a different problem, details and videos below.

Currently doing test on familiar runways with ILS (KGRB rwy 06) so I can set the NAV1 to the ILS frequency and here are some results, it shows that i'm taking way too long on final (over 300 secs)
Here are the 3 tests (logbook results at end of videos):
Test 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBhuAXy21g
Test 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Do7SwkPXc

Test 2 was a MUCH better run with scores of 90+ for landing and flight but the software still shows that I took over 300secs on final.

Test 3 at KPGD rwy 04: https://youtu.be/om_uZ3ltA-c
Why does the OBS line up with the taxiway instead of the runway? At 0:30 of test 3 you can see the OBS lining up incorrectly with the runway heading.
Not sure if it's a problem with the game; I setup a landing approach and set the OBS midair and it was perfectly fine, did another circuit there with the correct OBS heading and the results still gave me a 300+ seconds final leg.
Post #14585
Posted Tuesday, April 12, 2022 8:37:19 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi P7137:

Excellent flying! Yes -1 and 2 look great except for the entry in the log book stating a long final leg, which clearly did not occur. FSFlyingSchool has had circuits for 16 years and so for something like this to occur - some exceptional factor is involved - we just need to find it.

The most common reason for the instructor writing that a pilot landed off the runway, no GS, etc (which leads to very low landing scores) is that the instructor did not know where the pilot was landing and this will occur if you do are not in landing mode, and pointing at, and aligned with the runway heading when you descend through 500 AGL - this is essential and required every time.

I did see the OBS jump in your video but this is due to an operation performed in the simulator rather than having anything to do with FSFlyingSchool as far as I could make out.

A flight plan is not normally filed in FSFlyingSchool when flying a circuit - can you try some circuits without a plan so we can examine the result?

And - thanks for taking the time to report all this - and if you can please copy and paste the log book text into your report (replies) as this makes the data more accessible than it being in movies.

I am sure we will figure it out!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14587
Posted Tuesday, April 12, 2022 11:53:30 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the reply!
I've done more tests and the results are below.

Log Book results are in video descriptions (to keep this post looking neater and easier to reference. Let me know if you prefer the log book results in the post instead and i'll edit)

Test 4, Cessna 152 Visual Approach KVNC RWY 31:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2QTq4dn6A
Everything worked perfect here!
- Cessna 152 Visual Approach working fine!

Test 5, Cessna 172 without flight plan. Software detected visual approach even though NAV1 was set. Did a successful visual approach, but final leg was still over 300 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2QTq4dn6A
- Cessna 172 G1000 Visual Approach working fine!
- Cessna 172 G1000 final leg length not detecting correctly

Test 6, Cessna 152 with ILS detected by software, THEN clearing flight plan. Everything worked well, glide slope detected from NAV1 and got a circuit score.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_NpNZTGuQ
- Cessna 152 ILS approach working fine!

Now i'm thinking if it is a problem with the software and the Cessna 172 G1000 version. I don't currently own the 172 without the G1000 in game (yet) so can't test that out.
So we know that using the Cessna 152, everything works great with visual approach or ILS approach.
The only issue remaining for now is the long final leg that occurs when flying the 172 G1000.

I also found out something else while trying these out, saw some other members in the forum have this issue as well and here's the solution!
Issue: software repeatedly says you need to be getting on to crosswind leg after you turned
Solution: Clear flight plan from FsFlyingSchool right after connecting

How to recreate the issue (should happen at any airport that have intersecting runways):
E.G. KVNC RWY 23. KVNC has 2 runways in an X shape, and when I file a flight plan starting on RWY 23 and enter circuit mode, the software still think's i'm flying from RWY 31.
- Takeoff from RWY 23
- Turn onto crosswind
- Software repeatedly says you need to be getting on to crosswind leg
- Software then says we are on downwind leg (RWY 31 downwind leg is the same heading as RWY 23 crosswind)
- Software thinks we are landing at RWY 31 and says lets turn onto base

Test 7, shows a smooth flight with no issues from KVNC RWY 23
https://youtu.be/TbU2xq8rzjE

Also i'm enjoying testing these stuff out so do let me know if there is anything else I should try!
Post #14588
Posted Friday, April 15, 2022 1:54:58 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi again - thanks for the feedback! There is a lot in here and I am working through it.

I think one issue might be that the MSFS flight plan is being automatically used in FSFlyingSchool perhaps?

This is only meant to be used if you want to file a plan in Microsoft Flight Simulator, and use it - if you do not want this (it is often the case that it is not what the pilot wants to do) then this option should be turned off at the flight plan screen of FSFlyingSchool (turn off option 'Auto Read FS2020 flight plan file').

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #14589
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2022 3:15:30 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi P7137:

I've been wrestling with this and I think this will help... the FSFlyingSchool flight plan screen also requires the user to indicate the runway for the landing and if this is not set correctly MrSmith cannot follow the pilot's intentions. It is best if flying circuits to have no flight plan filed - FSFlyingSchool will determine everything correctly so long as the pilot follows the instructions for flying a circuit.

There will be no need to clear out any flight plan (from FSFlyingSchool) if the option to automatically load the flight plan file from the simulator is turned off.

Please let me know how you get on!

Post #14590
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2022 8:18:32 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the reply once again!

I've done another test and the final leg still detects as over 400secs. I really think it is a problem with the cessna 172 in particular.

Test 7, Cessna 172 auto read flight plan off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z5u_VYomXg
Post #14591
Posted Friday, April 22, 2022 2:56:53 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi P7137:

I've had a look at some of the pivotal points in the last video at KVNC and there are some very odd things going on in the airplane (c172 G1000), which unless I am missing something obvious (I may well be!) or there are features that I am simply unaware of, make little sense - again this is in reference to the plane - not FSFlyingSchool.

The G1000 altitude shown bears no relationship to reality and shows about 220 when descending through 500 AGL. Eventually the plane is flying, over the sea, but the altitude shown is below sea level.

Did you set the barometric pressure at some unusual setting for some reason? I know this is sometimes done to set it to "zero feet" at the airfield elevation, but even this is not what is happening in the video.

It looks like the altitude is showing something like 280 feet below sea level during take off run...

I congratulate you on your flights! Splendid work. I just needed to ask about the altitude first before pressing on into the video.

PS - Are you using any add-on for the G1000?

Post #14592
Posted Saturday, April 23, 2022 8:40:41 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi Jeff! I've no idea what happened to the barometer in test 7, so I took another video and surprisingly everything went fine though the flight was far from perfect!
The only thing that was different was the updated G1000 NXI. I'm not using any Cessna 172 addons though there are other addons in test 7 and 8. Tests 1 to 6 has no addons installed.

Test 8: checked the barometer before starting and set heading to runway heading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYkyWLp_N8

So lets say everything works fine with the G1000 NXI, and i switch back to the old G1000 and it shows 300sec final again, that could possibly confirm some miscommunication between the softwares with the G1000 in use.
Let me know if you would like me to try it out and i'll be glad to do more circuit practises!
Post #14593
Posted Sunday, April 24, 2022 12:35:58 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi P7137:

Thanks for all the information - the G1000 NXI certainly is very nice indeed!

It is very interesting to hear that the issue occurs with the G1000 and not with the G1000 NXI.

The case continues to puzzle for, as you can imagine, the 300 second issue is not something folks are experiencing in general, so there must be something unique about your set up (PC/software/etc) or the specific way in which you are starting and flying circuits with FSFlyingSchool.

Note this is no reflection on your flying! It is clearly very good.

At least the good news is that with the G1000 NXI you have no problem.

I will let you know if anything more comes up in our exploration of this issue.

Thanks again for your report - and have a great weekend of flights!

Post #14594
Posted Sunday, April 24, 2022 2:22:56 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hi Jeff!
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm pretty new to aviation so that gives me good motivation to keep learning and improving. I'll let you know if I discover anything else with the software. Other than that i've been enjoying using it on my flights!

Have a great week!
Post #14595
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:36am