Humble Apolagies

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Humble Apolagies Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 09, 2018 4:29:26 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 13, 2018 9:21:26 AM
Hi Jeff,

I am now going to eat Humble Pie and apolagise to you for airing my Frustration on you. I have been reading the manual again & I have now understood that I have not been getting a flight score in my landing scores because I have been practicing my landings in the air from a 3/10m mile approach without taking off. I now believe I understand that to get a Landing score of 70% & a flight score of 80% as required to be elligable for a circuit score in circuit Training requires I need to take off fly and land.

I can only apolagise to you, as I fully appreciate you are only trying to help me!, and can only go on what I report. Please accept my apolagies for this .

I see from my flight this morning that it was not recorded in the logbook on line recording, has my flight records been stopped, if so I understand. Would appreciate it being started again.

Lesson learned, "be more acurate with my facts before putting my big size 8 foot in" next time.

John.

Post #13537
Posted Sunday, September 09, 2018 6:01:21 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi John:

Apology excepted without hesitation.

As you can imagine FSFlyingSchool is a highly technical product as it deals with highly technical information and this is not for everyone.

There are a lot of details to follow; some folks enjoy this and some do not.

>> I am now going to eat Humble Pie and apolagise to you for airing my Frustration on you. I have been reading the manual again & I have now understood that I have not been getting a flight score in my landing scores because I have been practicing my landings in the air from a 3/10m mile approach without taking off.

Correct - you will not get a flight score unless you start on the ground.

>> I now believe I understand that to get a Landing score of 70% & a flight score of 80% as required to be elligable for a circuit score in circuit Training requires I need to take off fly and land.

A Landing Score above 70 and a Flight Score above 80 must be achieved before circuits can be flown with FSFlyingSchool. Without these, you will not be able to fly a circuit with the instructor. They do not control the circuit scoring.

Note that the scores are not percentages. A first class landing in bad weather in an airliner might score over 200 points.

>> I see from my flight this morning that it was not recorded in the logbook on line recording, has my flight records been stopped, if so I understand. Would appreciate it being started again.

We do not control this. If the flight is not recorded online it is because it was either not finished or never submitted to our website.

If the flight is not recorded in the FSFlyingSchool log book on your PC it was never finished. When a flight ends the instructor says "OK - We're starting a new flight."

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13538
Posted Sunday, September 09, 2018 6:28:38 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Thank-you Jeff,

O.k. Sorry for that, Big Left foot again, sorry.

I absolutely love "TECHNICAL", I thrive on it and am a stickler for moving forward only when am ready, My brother just jumps straight into Jets and fly`s, not for me.

Am now getting fairly good flight scores, doing take off circuit and Landing without pressing ctrl-alt-space and almost good enough to move back to circuits with flight scores under my belt. Will keep you up-dated if thats o.k.

Thanks again.......Great program.

John.

Post #13539
Posted Monday, September 10, 2018 12:21:40 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi John:

Excellent! Thanks for your kind words.

Most pilots fly several sessions with FSFlyingSchool before coming to terms with all its requirements and details. This is made much easier, more fun and more productive if the manual is read and understood. Some folks print out key pages and underline or highlight important sections.

I think the FSFlyingSchool experience shares aspects with flying itself.

It is not well suited to use without the pilot being at least basically familiar with the contents of the manual, which is highly technical, but once this information is digested, it is a very rewarding experience.

Just like real world flying!

I am reminded of the words of home computer game programming hero Chris Crawford, in reference to his excellent game Balance of Power.

He wrote (to my best recollection)...

"If you try to play this game without reading the manual, you are wasting your time."

FSFlyingSchool can be operated with minimal knowledge of its methods and functions, but that's like flying one handed, with the wrong hand.

In any case - have a great week of flights!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13540
Posted Monday, September 10, 2018 10:49:52 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hi Jeff,

Yes guilty as charged. I did read the Manual.....in fact I printed it off and read it at work on my breaks, however not good enough it seems .

I have gone back to doing circuits without pressing ctrl-alt-space to get above the scores required to move onto circuits and getting the circuit scores that got me into trouble with you in the first place, sorry for that, but now I seem to be going backwards instead of forwards as my scores are now low, need to chill and try try and try again.

Can I get some advice from you :-

I`m approaching the landing sequence at 62-65 knots, any slower and I find the aircraft starts becoming un-controllable, but I`m having trouble Flaring. I have read so much contradicting advice on the web, that i`m confused. My undestanding is that I back off the throttle about 20 feet before the Tarmac and then pull back on the stick (flare) about 10 feet from touchdown ?, whilst continually decreasing the throttle to idle before landing on the tarmac, only problem is I either am so nervous of ballooning that I dont pull back enough or pull back too late and dont get the nose wheel up before touchdown and land with the nosewheel.

FSFS always tells me to flare when I`m 20 feet from the tarmac, but this seems to not work, your going to tell me now, this is correct, so that`s why I`m asking so I can get the sequence right and then figure out how to nail it .

Am I doing wrong ?.

Many thanks,

John.

Post #13541
Posted Monday, September 10, 2018 11:12:17 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi John:

And now...

...more questions!

In order for me to get oriented with your approaches...

- Are you landing with full flaps? This is essential so you can control the airplane at slow speeds and supports a steeper approach angle. If you are - at what point are they set to full?

- Stall speed in landing configuration (with full flaps) is 40 KIAS, so I am puzzled about...

"at 62-65 knots, any slower and I find the aircraft starts becoming un-controllable"

as this should not be a problem.

>> I have gone back to doing circuits without pressing ctrl-alt-space

Note - when you are ready to fly in circuit mode the keys are Ctrl Shift Space

TIP - If you are having problems with landings, FSFlyingSchool is ready to help you practice just landings.

Put yourself on final, full flaps, 65 KIAS, at perhaps 500 feet AAL, straight in (no turns), perhaps 60 seconds before touchdown and save that flight at that point. Then you can just reload it as often as you wish and practice at least 12 landings per hour.

Start off in perfect weather with no wind - let's do this step by step.

Post #13542
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:29:53 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Hi again Jeff,

I was doing all of the above, but I spent 6-7 hours last night puzzled as to why. I have now solved the problem.

I have the cessna 172 sp add on Reality pack installed, and the first Landing I did was heavy, so as a result it damaged the brakes , so I was not picking up a lot of speed on the take off and did not realise why. As a result every time I touched down the brakes being on were causing the nose to dip forward every time, this happened on all of the 30 odd landings I did, and nothing would release them, what a waste of 6-7 hours, except that it certainly gave me lots of practice and homed my skills. After I fixed the problem with the Reality add on pack I did 1 flight last night (3 am in the morning I hasten to add), and hey presto a controlled landing with a nice flare .

Will try and now try and do a Landing slower as you suggested.

John.

Post #13543
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:49:25 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi John:

Thanks for the report.

Here's a tip - you've got to start from simple and build up from there.

Just practice landings in perfect conditions and with a simple default aircraft, like the c172 supplied with XP.

That way there are not loads of additional things going on that you may not be aware of and which may cause you to waste hours of your time.

In addition, go through ALL the screens of FSFlyingSchool and make sure things are set simply.

Turn OFF those things which are a distraction or which you are not sure you fully understand.

In addition, at the flight plan screen have the flight end "when stopped or taxiing" to keep it simple.

At the pilots screen have "automatic detection setup" OFF so that YOU tell the instructor when you are entering cruise and landing modes.

Don't fly circuits. Load a saved flight file as I just said and start in the sky and master landings first. Then start on the ground and master flights. Only then, once these two are second nature, get into the plane and announce to Mr Smith that you are going to fly a circuit. The instructors watch circuits very, very closely and flying one without any deviation from what the instructor requires takes considerable skill.

Post #13544
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:16:06 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

Thanks Jeff, Good advice.

Determination is my middle name.

John.
Post #13545
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:39am