Run-time error '5' Invalid procedure call or argument

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Run-time error '5' Invalid procedure call or... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:18:20 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:00:28 PM
Hello Flying School Support,

Since upgrading my Flying School Pro 2013 to include Advanced Approaches, I can no longer use the Flying School Pro 2013. Every time I press the "Connect" button, I receive the error message I used for the subject title of this post (Run-time error '5' Invalid procedure or argument). Immediately afterwards, the Flying School Pro 2013 program automatically shuts itself off. I've tried carefully uninstalling both the new and older versions of the program, and then reinstalling only the latest complete upgrade. I've tried using registry cleaning software such as CCleaner to help as well.

In fact, when I ran the registry cleaner program, it showed only two errors on my entire laptop:

1) Application Paths Issue Crogram Files (x86) FSFlying School\FSFlying School_Pro_2013_Setup.exe

2) Missing MUI Reference Crogram Files (x86) FSFlying School\FSFlying School_Pro_2013_Setup.exe

When I use the standalone programs (Help & Approach Pro) I do not have any error problems. It only happens when I use the newest FSFlying School 2013 with Advanced Approaches.

My system is a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 8.

Any suggestions that would get me up and running would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much
Post #11202
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:49:05 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi CFI:

This is a puzzle as the addition of the Advanced Approaches key should not affect the program in any way that would cause such an error.

I think I can see what the suspect is - when connect is pressed the program attempts to "speak" and the problem is likely related to sound in some way.

Have you used FSFS PRO 2013 successfully on this PC before?

Made any changes to sound options in FSFS or on your PC since then?

Have you plugged in or removed any sound hardware or software?

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11203
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:15:26 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response. To answer your question, yes, I have successfully connected with FS Flying School Pro 13 previously, although I must admit that I'm only now just getting to know the program. But I do know that it used to work and still does with the older stand-alone programs.

As for your question of any changes, the most recent changes made to the laptop was installing the newest version of FSUIPC. In the past week, I have also updated both the audio and video drivers but the update took place after discovering the Run-time 5 error, which was part of my inspiration for making sure my drivers were up to date. I had hoped that would help.

I'm definitely at a loss of what else to do.

All the best,
Post #11205
Posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:36:00 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

Can you please post (in reply to this post) the contents of your settings.ini file from the FSFlyingSchool folder on your PC and I'll see if there are any clues in there...

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #11207
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:00:55 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hello Squadron Leader,

Apologies for the delay. I've been away a couple days. To answer your question about the settings.ini file, here's the data that is in mine:

======================================================================================================

[FS Folders]
FS2002=
FS2004=
FSX=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FlightPlan=

[Pilot]
PilotFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\FSFlyingSchool\\PilotRoster\LightSpeed.plt

[Misc]
TransitionAltitude=18000
EndFlight=0
LoadFSXPlanOnConnect=0
GPSOverridesFlightPlan=0
SpokenTips=1
AviationTips=1
InstantHelp=1

[Voice]
Mode=-1

======================================================================================================

I found that the Windows 8 program uninstaller was not completely deleting my previous version of FSFlyingSchoolPro2013, so I removed the original folder to a backup location before reinstalling the program. Oddly enough, in the reinstalled most up-to-date version, no settings.ini file exists. The one I cut and pasted is from the previous folder that I had removed.

Cheers,
cfiguy
Post #11216
Posted Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:06:05 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

Thanks for the file - I've been running tests with it.

The file is created when FSFS is run - it is not there until it is run.

Can you please also post the contents of the following file...

SoundCard.dat

from the same FSFlyingSchool folder.

Please do this before making any changes.

Next... please try FSFS with all of the sound cards listed at the settings screen of FSFS. In each case, select a different card, save the setting at that screen, and THEN press CONNECT.

Please let me know how you get on.

Post #11224
Posted Wednesday, November 06, 2013 5:15:29 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hello Squadron Leader,

First off, after double and triple checking, I cannot find a file in the FSFlyingSchool folder named "SoundCard.dat" It doesn't seem to exist in there.

As you requested, I went to the settings box inside the program and found only two choices when it came to sound cards: "Default" and "Other."

When I chose Default and saved the setting, as soon as I pressed "Connect" I received the following error message...

Error: 75 - Path/File access error.

When I chose "Other" (Speakers Realtek high definiti) and saved the setting, as soon as I pressed "Connect" I received this error message...

Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

Moreover, when I tried the Default again, I also got...
Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

Any ideas? Thanks for testing to try to find an answer.
All the best,
cfiguy
Post #11225
Posted Friday, November 08, 2013 2:12:19 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

Thanks for the feedback!

If you are getting a file access error we need you to run the program as an administrator to stop this from ever happening.

You should always launch FSFlyingSchool as an administrator or Windows may prevent operations such as saving your own data to your PC.

To do this just right click on the icon which launches FSFS and choose "Run as Administrator" - you can also indicate that this is a permanent choice in the "Properties" of the icon - accessed by a right click - in the "Advanced" button on the "Shortcut" tab.

This action is important - even if you are the only person who uses the PC and are an administrator.

Please do this and then try the different sound cards again and let me know the results - this may indeed solve it.

Post #11230
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:03am