Use with X-plane on the Mac?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Use with X-plane on the Mac? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 4:45:11 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 11, 2013 9:06:18 AM
Is there anyway to use FSFlyingSchool with X-plane running on a Mac? If FSFlyingSchool is Windows only, is it possible to run it under Windows in a virtual machine and have it talk to X-plane which is running on the host OSX system?
Post #9282
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 7:00:01 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:22:17 AM
>> Is there anyway to use FSFlyingSchool with X-plane running on a Mac?

Currently no.

>> If FSFlyingSchool is Windows only, is it possible to run it under Windows in a virtual machine
>> and have it talk to X-plane which is running on the host OSX system?

The library that we use to communicate with X-Plane is a Windows only plugin. You could run FSFlyingSchool and X-Plane in a Windows VM, but I would guess the performance wouldn't be too good. If you wish to do so please try using our demo of FSFlyingSchool for X-Plane to check you're happy with it before purchasing.
Post #9283
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 8:58:25 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

I thought of running X-Plane under Windows using Parallels or VMware but, as you surmise, the performance is not adequate. I don't know anything about the internals of X-Plane or the API that you are using but it would be great if you offered the option to separate (i.e., run on two different real or virtual machines) the simulator and FSFlyingSchool. This would permit your software to run with X-Plane (and perhaps other simulators?) on any platform.
Post #9286
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:19:02 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

One further thought: if you develop a way for FS to communicate with XP (or FSX) using IP, you could conceivably offer a service whereby the "instructor" ran on your server (perhaps running on the Amazon infrastructure) and talked to a user's machine over the network. You could have a new business providing flight instruction, a form of SAAS.
Post #9287
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:30:23 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

For FSX communication we use FSUIPC which provides an additional library called WideFS. This allows other PCs to receive and act on FSX data, effectively sharing the current flight sim across a network.

For X-Plane we use XPUIPC which currently only works with Window's versions of X-Plane. I don't know if the author would be interested in porting it to work as a Mac X-Plane plugin. If so then FSFlyingSchool could then be used on a Windows PC, while X-Plane (and XPUIPC) runa on a Mac!
Post #9288
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:02:16 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

I just asked the author who said: "No Version for OSX so far, started porting it, my problem is the Lack of time....Hope some Day I will have this ready...".
Post #9290
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 12:00:47 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Yes, he's a really busy guy. However, he knows his stuff so I'm sure we'll get there soon!
Post #9301
Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:19:34 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

We've created a page to register interest in a Mac version of FSFlyingSchool for X-Plane.

If you're interested please sign up!
Post #11131
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:02am