Teething problems

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Teething problems Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, September 01, 2012 6:33:55 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 04, 2013 4:05:35 PM
Hi,

I'm running FSFS 2011, which I bought and never really used. I'm trying it out properly after an FSX reinstall, and I'm having these problems:

1. I keep being told to use flaps when landing - in a Piper J-3 Cub (A2A). I unchecked the "Spoilers" box and set all the flap settings to 0, 0 but that hasn't helped. How do I get it into Mr Smith's head that the J-3 doesn't come with flaps?

2. My last flight followed a full flight plan, KORS - KHFR, and Mr Smith kept telling me to reduce power as I was too high; the visual glide path indicator, however, was giving me four reds!

3. The report of the landing also said that I'd landed off the runway, but I hadn't.

4. The rest of the flight wasn't scored, and Mt Smith didn't give his usual wrap-up comments. I have the end of lesson configured for when brakes are on and engine is off.

I am using Orbx PNW scenery and have imported the runway data into FSFS.

So...my instructor is penalising me unfairly, then trying to kill me and then not even finishing the lesson properly! Help!

H
Post #10135
Posted Saturday, September 01, 2012 7:15:44 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi:

Thanks for your interest in FSFS.

In the vast majority of cases (1000s), pilots do not experience these problems and so we have to determine what it is about your situation that is different.

It's always best to move from what we know to what we don't know and so I would recommend trying a short flight with the default FSX c172.

Not all add-ons work seamlessly with FSFS - we make no representation that anything other than Flight Simulator and FSUIPC will work with FSFS, but having said that most do.

You have mentioned using 3rd party scenery and a 3rd party aircraft and so we need to try to determine what effect they are having.

For example - as I recall, the data (aircraft.cfg) shipped with the aircraft in your report indicates that it has flaps (I recall this from a previous report of such a problem) and FSX is reporting this to FSFS, and MrSmith and his team go by what FSX tells them.

Please try a test or two with the c172, perhaps at a different airport so we have more data, and let me know how you get on.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10137
Posted Saturday, September 01, 2012 2:26:17 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thanks for the quick response.

I disabled my Orbx scenery and repeated the flight, but with the same result. Then I did a return flight, KFHR to KORS, same result. Landing scores are always on the 28-30% range, with the problems reported including the following:

"Nowhere near the centre line" when I was a bit to the left or right of it.
"Touch down not aligned with the runway". Yes it was...well maybe a degree or two out.
"Landed off runway surface." No I didn't.
"Poor steering after landing". Guilty as charged.

This is from three tests in the default 172 with default FSX scenery.

H
Post #10138
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2012 3:08:04 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi -

Well - this is a puzzle.

This is not the sort of experience 1000s of pilots are having with FSFS and so we must continue to delve into the particular details of your system.

Can you please send all of the files bearing the name of the pilot you used from this folder...

C:\Program Files (x86)\FSFlyingSchool\PilotRoster

to support@fsflyingschool.com

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #10139
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2012 11:09:41 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Done.

Thanks for replying on a Sunday.

H
Post #10141
Posted Monday, September 03, 2012 2:38:59 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

Got your files.

We are looking at them and have replied by email - part of which I will reproduce here for the benefit of all members...

You mentioned having the very first edition of FSFS 2011 (v 4.0.0), which, like Flight Simulator itself, takes it version number from the whole series of products.

FSFS started in 2006 with FSFS Classic (version 1.0.0).

Anyway...

...earlier versions of FSFS 2011 had some issues on some customer PCs and this was solved early on.

Please download and install the latest version from here:

http://www.fsflyingschool.com/download/FSFlyingSchool_2011_Setup.exe

Also - please make sure that you are lined up with the runway and in "landing mode" when you descend through 500 feet above ground level so that the instructor will know for sure where you are landing. He will confirm this and if you are not, he will indicate that too.

Post #10146
Posted Monday, September 03, 2012 3:49:07 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

I've installed the updated version and have run three tests so far, with scores of 97%, 24% and 86%*. The lowest score claimed an off-runway landing, but I may not have set up the approach properly. The other two tests showed FSFS doing exactly what it says on the tin. Lovely.

(For clarity, if I am in the pattern, should I hold off engaging landing mode until I'm actually on final, but still above 500ft AGL?)

I'll be trying it out some more, naturally, and will let you know how it goes. For the moment, though, things are definitely looking better.

By the way, regarding the A2A Cub flaps problem, is there a set amount by which the score can be manually/mentally adjusted to take this into account?

Thanks for the prompt support.

H

*Which makes me wonder, if an FSFS flight were to be treated as a check-ride, what would would the passing grade be?

Post #10147
Posted Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:54:30 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Hi:

Good to hear it's working!

You can certainly engage landing mode before being on final - that is fine.

But in order for Mr Smith et al to know where you intent to land, you must be in landing mode as you descend through 500 AGL and you must be lined up with your intended runway.

Landing without deploying available flaps loses 10 points. (As we discussed FSX is "telling" FSFS that that particular airplane has flaps).

As to the check-ride - hmmm... this is an interesting question...

The first point I would want to make clear is that the scores are not percentages - they are a measure of proficiency in airmanship and the bigger and heavier the airplane, the more points will be scored. Crosswinds at landing and visibility also play a big part in scoring. So it is possible to get over 100 in a Cessna 172 and considerably over 100 in an airliner. Throw in low visibility and crosswinds and the scores go up yet more.

I don't have an exact scale but I would think that in a c172 a landing score of 80 would be nicely done for example.

The tricky part is that FSFS has always been designed to be used with any powered airplane AND its scores have been designed to encourage pilots to try for higher scores in more challenging planes and situations.

Therefore we do not talk of:
"89% in a Boeing 737-800 in clear weather"
OR
"73% in a Cessna 172 in 1 mile visibility and a 6 knot crosswind"

In our design, the score is supposed to say it all.

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I hope it helps a little!

Post #10148
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 8:15:23 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thanks - you answer does help.

I've run a few more tests and I am happy to confirm that the original issue is definitely resolved and FSFlyingSchool is now working satisfactorily.

Thanks for your help.

H

Post #10173
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 9:04:24 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Excellent - you are welcome!

Post #10174
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:29pm