On Approach starts strangely with previous flight parameters (SOLVED)

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

On Approach starts strangely with previous... Expand / Collapse
Author
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:01:06 PM
I'm new, but an instrument-rated private pilot who wants to keep up his skills. Bought the program with ON Approach but can't seem to get it started correctly. I abandoned a flight to DuPage airport in Illinois and shut down FSX last night. Today I thought I set up On Approach to practice landing at O'Hare. I thought I was to start a flight first from FSX, so I loaded a flight with me on the ground at O'Hare. Then, after loading all the data I could in the Flight Plan section of On Approach, I connected, only to find myself approaching DuPage airport instead of O'Hare. It seems On Approach connects as asked, but somehow picks up yesterday's destination as the airport. I'm undoubtedly doing something wrong, but need help getting me corrected.

Love all aspects of the program so far - just needs a little practice on my part. --- Incidentally, I DID connect to O'Hare approach earlier yesterday, but as of now I don't seem to be able to get away from DuPage.

Flight is Freedom soaring
Post #9618
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 7:31:09 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Forgot to mention I am flying FSX with FSUICP 4.820 under 64-bit Windows 7.  AMD processor with 12G RAM.

Post #9619
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:26:31 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi Ken:

Many thanks for your kind words about the product - especially coming from an Instrument Rated pilot - it's very nice to hear.

I think, if I follow your report, that the issue is that the

[] Start

checkbox in the 'On Approach' section of FSIA is not "checked" - that is, it is "off", and that means that FSIA will not place you on approach to the runway you have indicated.

All you need to do is turn it on an that should solve the issue.

Now then...

...you may ask - "What is the point of having such a checkbox?"

Well... some users just want to fly a flight and have the flight mapped onto Google Maps, and that does not require you to set up an approach - so we provided the option.

Of course in most cases, leave the checkbox turned on.

Indeed we turn it on automatically when an airport is chosen and we imagine that this is what most folks would want. But - you can turn it off if desired.

I hope that proves to be the solution!

Happy landings!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #9620
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:56:34 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thanks for the fast comeback. Actually, the box has always been checked. I did get it to put me on the right approach to O'Hare finally, and practiced several approaches. Then I returned to the interface and chose a random location which put me in Pakistan. The runway it had lined me up with was 01. I then went back to the plane, then clicked on "Connect" and the "instructor" acknowledged I would be using runway 01, said a couple more words and then announced a new flight and lined me up for O'Hare on runway 04 once again. I clicked "Unconnect" waited a minute, and then "Connect" again, and the exact same thing happened. Weird.

I do need to warn you though. I tend to have the strangest challenges with computers (which I have been using for the last 36 years,) and once even had a print spooler problem escalated by Microsoft to a "Level 5" technician (after several days of different people.) He couldn't fix it, and when I asked for level six he said "Hell, there is no level six. I wrote the damn program." I just went out and bought a new computer.

Post #9621
Posted Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:18:31 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Last Login: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:44:15 AM
Hi Ken,

I'm certainly not an expert with this great new program, so this is just a thought. LePage is the 'default' airport in FS Instant Approach. Whenever you open the program, that is what is in the little box. So, you need to change that to the code for the airport you want. Then hit the approach airport button and then choose the runway. You also don't have to set up FSX to the airport you want to approach. You can use the 'default' that is set up in FSX. You then pick the airport you want to approach in FS Instant approach. In other words, even if you set up in FSX your chosen airport, it won't be there when you connect to FS Instant Approach, it will go to the default of LePage. I believe that's correct, perhaps Squadron Leader can verify or correct. But that's how it works for me. I just turn on FSX, open FS Instant Approach, pick my airport and runway, visibility, etc. and connect. Then go back to FSX and it's ready to go. FSX may be in 'pause', so make sure your throttle is forward and hit 'pause' and it should work. I'm learning at this too, so this comment is just a possible solution. (I'm still trying to figure out how to fly a 'back course' approach.)
Post #9622
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:03:55 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Thank you for the reply morningdj but no joy. FsFs is set to KORD with a start at 5 miles out, and lined up on runway 04L. I set visibility at 01 miles. Then I went to FSX, free flight, and put a C172 down on runway 27 at OHare. So far, so good. I then click on "connect" and PRESTO! I am 5 miles out from runway 04L at Timmerman in Wisconsin with fine visibility. I cant figure out exactly why Timmerman, except one of the flights I saved in FSX is a flight from Ohare to Timmerman IFR. Timmerman isn't even loaded into FsFs in the flight plan window. The FsFs Flight Plan window shows Current flight plan and the "Auto-read FSX Flight Plan" box is checked. Perhaps that's it. I'll uncheck the box and try once again.

Post #9639
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:15:47 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Well, I tried unchecking the FsFs box for autoreading the flight plan. I left everything else the same, put me on the ground at OHare, and connected. Instructor said Chicago was his kind of town, then immediately I was in deep fog with 1 mile visibility on approach this time to Runway 33 at Timmerman. FsFs is still showing KORD with my choice of runway 22L. At this point I think I will uninstall FsFs and reinstall it. I'm about out of ideas.

Post #9640
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:04:18 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Hopefully my last entry.  Something must have been wrong with the first installation because after I reinstalled the program it straightened out.  Working quite well now, so very satisfied.  No if I can just get this Saitek yoke to stop sticking (Badly) I should be able to actually control the aircraft!

KenB

Post #9641
Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:28:24 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Ken210 (4/17/2012)
Hopefully my last entry. Something must have been wrong with the first installation because after I reinstalled the program it straightened out. Working quite well now, so very satisfied. No if I can just get this Saitek yoke to stop sticking (Badly) I should be able to actually control the aircraft!

KenB

Hi All:

Many thanks to MD for contributing and helping out with this one!

And congrats to Ken for solving it with a new installation.

We have a policy of leaving re-installation of our products to about the middle of a sequence of steps to try to solve a problem and certainly do not recommend that it is the first thing that the user does - it will, in many cases, achieve little.

But sometimes, it solves the issue because somehow... (???) files have got mixed up, deleted or half written or who knows what. Or the user could have accidentally changed the configuration into a state that can no longer work on that PC, etc, etc.

For the record, we almost never recommend reinstalling Flight Simulator itself as that almost never solves anything to do with our products and wastes a lot of the user's time. (I feel the need to mention this once in a while and just felt like today was a good day to do so!)

Have fun Ken!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #9643
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:12am