Greens with Red Sauce

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Greens with Red Sauce Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:29:53 PM
FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:11:34 AM
Wyndham weather - between Troughton Island and Kununurra - calls for highs of near 40C Monday and Tuesday.  Light showers in the area.  Winds are currently 9km, gusting to 13.  Rain chances increase later mid-week.

I'll look to take off from Tindal within the hour and spend the night in Kununurra - it's a very lovely valley and I've previously taken a liking to dropping in on some of the remote farm fields unannounced in a Skyhawk.

With over 200 miles of water before reaching El Tari, I wanted a float plane in case of engine failure.  If FSX only handled ditching, I might have kept the Siai....

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #6483
Posted Sunday, December 27, 2009 11:28:27 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

It was another hot day in the left seat today; Summer's right on time here in Kimberley.  A newly freshened Smitty (tattooed too!) had the Caravan prepped and packed with camping gear, we were off at first light this balmy am - destination, Lake Argyle.  Not a fishing man I thought, but what the hey.  After an hour plus down the Victoria River, we turned to line up with runway 1 and voila... another mine.  A really big one too.  Smitty's eyes seemed to glitter at the sight of it.

I barely hit the parking brake before Smitty unbucked and lept into a waiting pickup.  "I'll be back in a few hours.  You stay and... guard the Caravan."  Guard?  Funny choice of words.  So I pulled out a sunshade and set up a chair and cooler off in some trees nearby and watched some DVDs.

When he returned, Smitty was carrying a couple of ice coolers - some fish that he picked up from an old mate that worked nearby.  Excellent.  So we cleaned camp, loaded up, and took off following an odd route that took us through a narrow river valley right along the ridgeline.

25 minutes later - going through some nasty moutain gusts that prompted some undue shouting - we sat down at one of my favorite spots - Kunurunna.  Smitty packed his golf clubs and is off for a few holes in this 40C heat.  Mad dogs, indeed.

Tonight we're going to dine on fresh redclaw and some silver cobbler from one of Smitty's coolers.  (The other one's stuck shut, oddly.)  Weather looks good for flying tomorrow, but Smitty indicated that he might want to stay a day.  Lovely green spot here, so it's fine by me.

-----
FS2 v3.0 w/172 Detail - FSX SP2 - CH yoke & pedals - GoFlight / Saitek / MPanel - TrackIR 3 w/VE
i7-920 airclocked to 166, Vista 64 Prem, GTX 260, 9GB 1300 DRAM, 1TB OS / 200GB s/s FSX drive

"Geronimo"

Post #6485
Posted Monday, December 28, 2009 5:58:03 AM

Last Login: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:45:44 AM
Hi Fenric

Don't get too hooked on the lovely landscape of Oz because we've got 1846nm of barren msfsx landscape island hopping Indonesia. Still I hear the Balinese babes cook a mean curry

Biggles

Post #6486
Posted Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:56:13 AM

Aye that.  Although I've had some scenery tech's in to spruce up my Indo-Pacific landclass files, I'm going to miss this great big lump of pretty.

Although if I may be so bold to suggest a substitute for Phase 2 - I call it "Race 'Round Tasmania."  It's pretty simple, all of us race around Tasmania and the last one flying wins.  No?... Oh b*!!*ck$....

Currently we're still here at Kununurra.  Smitty won't give the go-ahead for us to leave for some reason or another.  I heard him on the phone last night asking someone "when would the mule be in place?"  Between you and me, I think he's seeing one of the local farmer's daughter.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6497
Posted Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:49:56 PM

Fenric (12/29/2009)
Aye that.  Although I've had some scenery tech's in to spruce up my Indo-Pacific landclass files, I'm going to miss this great big lump of pretty.

Although if I may be so bold to suggest a substitute for Phase 2 - I call it "Race 'Round Tasmania."  It's pretty simple, all of us race around Tasmania and the last one flying wins.  No?... Oh b*!!*ck$....

Currently we're still here at Kununurra.  Smitty won't give the go-ahead for us to leave for some reason or another.  I heard him on the phone last night asking someone "when would the mule be in place?"  Between you and me, I think he's seeing one of the local farmer's daughter.

You got it---bollards to Tas!  BUT a definite possibility for people finishing Phase II early? If you want to expand on the flight details??  NOt sure about a race as different people commit different times to fsfs ie the unfortunate workers & the lucky retired.

"when would the mule be in place?"  No way to talk about the farmers daughter

Biggles

Post #6499
Posted Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:11:21 PM

We left Kununurra at dawn, and after an hour and a half we set down at Troughton Is and enjoyed that wonderful resort. [/sarcasm]  Really soon afterwards, Smitty's buddy stopped by there in his chopper - coming back from some oil rig - and Smitty shared a cooler full of beer with him.  Nice guy, that Smitty.

We had a bruch of cold sandwiches and heated-on-the-engine soup and jumped over the water into El Tari.  Odd thing is, we made no landing score on this tour greater than 60 points, and did not record a single landing spot in the C208.  I guess Smitty really really really didn't like that stunt I pulled back at Scherger.

No blood, no foul as they say - so we're off to turn in the Caravan, get our visas stamped (and we all know how painful that can be) and reunite with the missus.

Best of luck to everyone in Phase 2 - apparently we can't land on the broad side of a barn....

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6501
Posted Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:42:31 AM

Fenric (12/30/2009)
we made no landing score on this tour greater than 60 points, and did not record a single landing spot in the C208.  ...

No landing score greater than 60? There is a God and hope for the rest of us

Good luck in phase II & for the rest of 2010

Biggles

Ps: Is the Tas race clockwise or anticlockwise?

Post #6507
Posted Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:46:58 PM

Rgr that, and back at'cha Biggsie!  Happy happy newsies to all.

Why not 2x the fun in Tas and make it one round anti, then one round clocky?  Devonport would make a nice ''top and center'' starting point.  Don't hit the windmills as you round the bend. 

Actually now that I've spruced up some of my NSW locations - just loving what they've done with Aeropelican and Tamworth - if I can finish Phase 2 a little early, I'd like to refly the first few legs of Phase 1 in reverse order.  Sort of a ''end up where we started'' type of thing.  Maybe start at Coffs Harbour, another jewel that I missed the first time around.

-----

"Geronimo"

Post #6512
Posted Friday, January 01, 2010 2:18:18 AM

Fenric (12/31/2009)
Rgr that, and back at'cha Biggsie!  Happy happy newsies to all.

Why not 2x the fun in Tas and make it one round anti, then one round clocky?  Devonport would make a nice ''top and center'' starting point.  Don't hit the windmills as you round the bend. 

Actually now that I've spruced up some of my NSW locations - just loving what they've done with Aeropelican and Tamworth - if I can finish Phase 2 a little early, I'd like to refly the first few legs of Phase 1 in reverse order.  Sort of a ''end up where we started'' type of thing.  Maybe start at Coffs Harbour, another jewel that I missed the first time around.

Sounds very pretty. Take in Warnervale & Wallsend on the way.  Might see you on Bondi then

Biggles

Post #6518
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:43pm